Which MTB - Trek/Jamis/Merida for Newbie?

oldchic

Mar 18, 2005
Hi Everyone
I would love to hear your unbiased opinions re the following bikes:
Trek 4500
Jamis Dakar Sport
Merida hard tail with mainly xtr and deore components
I am an obsolute beginner and want to spend around $500-$800 on a MTB to see how I like it (I suspect I am going to love it) and in around 12/18 months get a "better" bike.
I have gone to loads of bike shops and have gotten so much conflicting advice as to which bike is the best - I am beginning to see bike salesmen in the same light as used car dealers!
I want to use the bike for mainly(80%) off-road/mountain bike riding.
I would really appreciate any opinions as to which of the three bikes would be best suited for my needs.
BTW - two of the bikes are 2nd hand and the Trek 4500 is new.
Thanks a lot for all your input!

oldchic said:
Hi Everyone
I would love to hear your unbiased opinions re the following bikes:
Trek 4500
Jamis Dakar Sport
Merida hard tail with mainly xtr and deore components
I am an obsolute beginner and want to spend around $500-$800 on a MTB to see how I like it (I suspect I am going to love it) and in around 12/18 months get a "better" bike.
I have gone to loads of bike shops and have gotten so much conflicting advice as to which bike is the best - I am beginning to see bike salesmen in the same light as used car dealers!
I want to use the bike for mainly(80%) off-road/mountain bike riding.
I would really appreciate any opinions as to which of the three bikes would be best suited for my needs.
BTW - two of the bikes are 2nd hand and the Trek 4500 is new.
Thanks a lot for all your input!
In my opinion i feel its best to get a new bike especially for a mtb, for all you know the BB has been changed, you wouldnt know for sure if there are any cracks in the frame(some cracks develop on the inner weldings). Also if can afford it go for a deore at least equipped bike with a psylo or equivilant bike, cos according to your post you would be spending most of you time in the trails. Also when looking for the bike look at the availability of replacement parts, for more common bike failures like a broken hangar, broken chains(some people buy a groupset to find out that a broken chain costs more than 50bucks), durability of wheelsets, things like that.

I am assuming that you do not know the previous owner, if you personally know the owner then its easier to make a deal.