Which navigation tool to buy?

Susja

Aug 3, 2017
Hello
I want to give a gift to my niece who likes biking. She is not a "real" biker but still enjoys riding in neighborhood and explore new tracks.
Hence the main requirement would be mapping and navigation somewhere around her house or vicinity.
I checked Amazon and get confused of variety of GPS computers. My price expectations are somewhat bellow $250
I checked Garmin 130, Garmin 520 and some Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt
Which one would you suggest for those requirements?
Thanks

For the money a Garmin 130 is hard to beat and you may be able to find one at half your maximum expense. Plus the 130 for that price has Livetrack which allows others she connects to seeing her location live. Great for a female to have given our day and time.

The Wahoo models seem well done and thought out too but I am a Garmin only cyclist and will not use anything else. Well, unless a manufacturer gives me something and it proves more reliable and more bells and whistles.

Reactions: Susja
For the money a Garmin 130 is hard to beat and you may be able to find one at half your maximum expense. Plus the 130 for that price has Livetrack which allows others she connects to seeing her location live. Great for a female to have given our day and time.

The Wahoo models seem well done and thought out too but I am a Garmin only cyclist and will not use anything else. Well, unless a manufacturer gives me something and it proves more reliable and more bells and whistles.
Appreciate your opinion

Keep in mind you do have to compare the Garmin to other Garmins to make sure it does what you want it to do.

If your friend wants to eventually do some touring then the 520 Plus is very hard to beat for the price but it lacks address to address guidance.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04... let's get to the,route to a specific address.

The Garmin 1030 does do address to address navigation as well as all the things that the 530 Plus does, plus the 1030 acquires its information faster.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/08/garmin-edge-1030-in-depth-review.html

Of course the more you spend on a bike computer to get features you want, you get a lot of features you don't want, so you have to weigh all of that out to find the best one for you. I'm still trying to figure out which one to get, the 520 Plus is appealing to me because of the price, but what if I want to find someone's home while touring? So I'm not sure how to do that or if it can even be done on the Garmin 520 Plus, but I still have 3 years to get one so I'm not in a rush.

Thanks for your advice.
Eventually I've bought Garmin Explorer.
Hope it'll be nice gift ...

Appreciate it

Glad we could point to potential units.
There must be an app for smart phones that does all of the work that a Garmin does. The one weakness would be battery life. Garmin's have a very long life battery. How's that for a close shave?

Hey there! As an experienced cyclist with a keen eye for technical details, I totally get your frustration with battery life on smartphone apps. While there are indeed apps that offer similar functionalities to Garmins, it's true that most smartphones struggle to match the impressive battery life of dedicated cycling GPS units like Garmins.

In my opinion, if you prioritize long rides or multi-day tours, investing in a Garmin might still be the way to go. However, if you're more into shorter rides and don't mind recharging your phone more frequently, there are some decent smartphone apps available.

Ultimately, it's all about finding the right balance between functionality and battery life. Happy cycling! :)

Hey there! I think you're on the right track with those GPS computers you've mentioned. For your niece's needs, I'd recommend the Garmin 130 or the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt. Both are user-friendly and have great mapping and navigation features. The Garmin 130 is a bit more basic, but it's easy to use and has all the essentials. On the other hand, the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt is a bit more advanced, with customizable data screens and a sleek design. It's a bit pricier, but it might be worth it if you want to give her a GPS computer that she can grow into. Either way, I'm sure she'll love having a GPS computer to help her explore new tracks and neighborhoods! Happy cycling! :)

Both the Garmin 130 and Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt are solid choices for your niece. The Garmin 130's simplicity makes it a great starting point, while the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt offers advanced features for more experienced cyclists. Its customizable screens and sleek design make it a real showstopper. With either option, your niece will have a reliable navigation companion for her cycling adventures. Happy trails! ️

Absolutely! Both the Garmin 130 and Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt are indeed solid choices for your niece's cycling adventures. However, let's not forget about the value of mapping and routing capabilities.

The Garmin 130 provides basic GPS navigation, but the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt takes it to the next level with its partnership with Komoot, a route planning app. This feature allows for more customized and detailed routes, providing a safer and more enjoyable ride for your niece.

Moreover, the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt's "Take Me To" feature is a game-changer. It allows for easy and quick navigation to a specific location, without the need for extensive route planning. This is perfect for those spontaneous rides or for when your niece wants to explore new areas.

In terms of customizable screens, the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt definitely takes the cake. With its ability to display up to 10 data fields per page, your niece can have all the information she needs at her fingertips. And let's not forget about the sleek and aerodynamic design, making the Bolt a real head-turner.

So, while both options are great choices, the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt offers a few more advanced features that could enhance your niece's cycling experience. Happy trails!

Indeed, the Garmin 130 and Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt both shine in their own arenas, sparking a notable debate among cyclists. Yet, the conversation often overlooks a crucial component: the ecosystem and connectivity. While Komoot's integration with the Bolt is commendable, consider the broader ecosystem Garmin immerses riders in. Garmin Connect isn't just about navigation; it's a comprehensive platform for tracking progress, analyzing performance, and even competing with friends. This holistic approach might just tip the scales for those seeking to weave their cycling adventures into a larger tapestry of fitness goals. It's about looking beyond the handlebars to the journey of personal growth and community. ‍♂️ So, while the Bolt's features are indeed enticing, let's not underestimate the value of an integrated fitness ecosystem Garmin offers. After all, cycling adventures thrive not just on the roads we choose but on the stories we weave and the communities we build.

True, Garmin's ecosystem is quite robust. But let's not forget that Wahoo's simplicity can be a selling point for many. Not everyone wants a comprehensive platform; some prefer a more straightforward approach. Plus, Komoot's integration with the Bolt does offer unique advantages, such as its powerful route planning feature. It's all about what each cyclist needs and values in their riding experience. ‍♂️

I always avoid vendor lock in, everyone of the above suggestions lock you into vendors and their way of doing things. Instead consider a combination of the following; Get yourself a compass and use it. Learn and study Celestial Navigation techniques, knowing how to spot the north star will be more help than any stupid GPS gizmo. Lastly, always know your landmarks.

While I appreciate the anti-establishment spirit of your post, I must respectfully disagree with the notion that all vendor solutions are inherently flawed. Yes, relying solely on GPS devices can be risky, but that doesn't mean we should completely dismiss them.

Celestial navigation is indeed a valuable skill, but it's not always practical for everyday cyclists. Similarly, while landmarks can be helpful, they may not always be visible or reliable, especially in unfamiliar areas.

Instead, I propose a hybrid approach: use technology to your advantage, but also invest time in learning basic navigation skills. For instance, familiarize yourself with cycling-specific apps that offer offline maps and turn-by-turn directions. This way, you won't need to rely solely on GPS or cell service.

And when it comes to spotting the North Star, remember that it's not visible during certain times of the year or in some regions. So, it's best to have a backup plan in place.

In short, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Relying on a single method of navigation can be just as dangerous as vendor lock-in. Stay skeptical, stay curious, and stay safe on the road! :bike:

"Your hybrid approach makes sense. Indeed, technology can be a powerful tool when cycling, but it has its limitations. GPS devices can fail, and landmarks may disappear. I've seen it happen.

I'd like to add, though, that investing time in learning about local cycling communities can be invaluable. They often have the most up-to-date knowledge about routes, construction, and other potential hazards. Plus, it's a great way to connect with other cyclists and build a supportive network.

So, while we should certainly use technology and basic navigation skills, let's not forget the power of community. After all, we're all in this together, navigating the twists and turns of the open road!" :bike: :bicyclist:

Couldn't agree more! Local cycling communities are like having a human GPS, always updating and rerouting you around life's potholes. They're the ultimate dynamic navigation system, offering insider tips and camaraderie. Sure, tech has its place, but let's face it, even the best GPS can't grab a flat tire for you or share a post-ride pint.

In this hyper-connected world, it's easy to forget the magic of real-life connections. Embracing the cycling community not only enriches our rides but also fosters a sense of belonging. And who knows, you might even find a few kindred spirits to join your peloton. So, while we rightly marvel at the wonders of technology, let's not forget the joy of sharing stories and sweat with our fellow two-wheeled adventurers.