Which new bike??? This search is going to the Dawgs.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gman, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Gman

    Gman Guest

    After riding the Enduro up SJT, I can say I definitely will not get one of those. That's my second
    long ride and I gave it more than a fair chance, but the FSR is a frickin' pogo stick uphill. I even
    added 50 psi to the rear shock...no diff. Some love it, but it does not compliment my riding style.

    and the Epic? Too quirky No thanks.

    The latest list:

    - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)
    - Giant NRS (no test ride available)
    - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)
    - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)

    However, I have reliability concerns about all of these. I'm a big boy (215lbs), and although I
    require good XC performance, I also like to jump a bit too. So basically, I plan on breaking any of
    the above bikes and falling back on the warranty. That's not a good plan if you like your teeth.
    Might as well keep the K2 EVO 3 which can apparently stand up to the torture (3 yrs so far without a
    yelp) and call it good.

    I was bummed about the Specialized Enduro...THAT's the bike that's made for my riding style.
    Crash-n-bash epic-long XC rides. Too bad it doesn't perform uphill.

    HOWEVER I may have stumbled upon the Promised Land, Kona's "Back Country" line of bikes. For guys
    that like to _ride_ up the hills AND bomb down (4" of travel). A little heavier, but what would you
    expect??? Don't get the extra strength for free. I'm definitely not a weight-weenie, I'm a
    performance-weenie!

    I rode a Dawg (unfortunately just in the pkg lot) and I could barely get it to bob while MASHING on
    the pedals in a big gear. I have read everything on the net I could find (yes, even mtbr) and had
    email conversations with a couple of other big boys that have similar riding styles and are runnin'
    Dawgs. So far so good...everyone loves the all-around performance of the Dawg despite the 30+
    pounds. This may be the bike. (let's hear it JD :)

    Gman...hmmmm...scratch that... GDawg out

    Tags:

  2. Jason

    Jason Guest

    "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]8440.news.dfncis.de...
    > After riding the Enduro up SJT, I can say I definitely will not get one of those. That's my
    > second long ride and I gave it more than a fair chance, but the FSR is a frickin' pogo stick
    > uphill. I even added 50 psi to the rear shock...no diff. Some love it, but it does not compliment
    > my riding style.
    >
    > and the Epic? Too quirky No thanks.
    >
    > The latest list:
    >
    > - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)
    > - Giant NRS (no test ride available)
    > - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)
    > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)

    What about a Santa Cruz Blur? I havent ridden one but by gosh thats a beautiful bike. Once I get
    down under 200 pounds and I fund a new one, I will look at the Blur and the Enduro...

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > After riding the Enduro up SJT, I can say I definitely will not get one of those. That's my
    > > second long ride and I gave it more than a fair chance, but the FSR is a frickin' pogo stick
    > > uphill. I even added 50 psi to the rear shock...no diff. Some love it, but it does not
    > > compliment my riding style.
    > >
    > > and the Epic? Too quirky No thanks.
    > >
    > > The latest list:
    > >
    > > - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)
    > > - Giant NRS (no test ride available)
    > > - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)
    > > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)
    > >

    > What about a Santa Cruz Blur? I havent ridden one but by gosh thats a beautiful bike. Once I get
    > down under 200 pounds and I fund a new one, I will look at the Blur and the Enduro...

    I should hopefully have an initial product report on the blur by mid next week, assuming I can
    convince the wrench to build my wheels the second the parts come in, and I can figure out how to
    fill and bleed those discs successfully!

    Jon Bond

  4. Jason

    Jason Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > After riding the Enduro up SJT, I can say I definitely will not get one of those. That's my
    > > > second long ride and I gave it more than a fair chance, but the FSR is a frickin' pogo stick
    > > > uphill. I even added 50 psi to the rear shock...no diff. Some love it, but it does not
    > > > compliment my riding style.
    > > >
    > > > and the Epic? Too quirky No thanks.
    > > >
    > > > The latest list:
    > > >
    > > > - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)
    > > > - Giant NRS (no test ride available)
    > > > - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)
    > > > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)
    > > >

    > > What about a Santa Cruz Blur? I havent ridden one but by gosh thats a beautiful bike. Once I get
    > > down under 200 pounds and I fund a new one,
    > > will look at the Blur and the Enduro...
    >
    > I should hopefully have an initial product report on the blur by mid next week, assuming I can
    > convince the wrench to build my wheels the second the parts come in, and I can figure out how to
    > fill and bleed those discs successfully!
    >
    > Jon Bond

    What does a fully built (say XT level components) cost? I am gonna have one heck of a time
    convincing the boss-lady of this purchase, hehe.

  5. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > What about a Santa Cruz Blur? I havent ridden one but by gosh thats a beautiful bike. Once I
    > > > get down under 200 pounds and I fund a new
    one,
    > > > will look at the Blur and the Enduro...
    > >
    > > I should hopefully have an initial product report on the blur by mid
    next
    > > week, assuming I can convince the wrench to build my wheels the second
    the
    > > parts come in, and I can figure out how to fill and bleed those discs successfully!
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    > >

    > What does a fully built (say XT level components) cost? I am gonna have
    one
    > heck of a time convincing the boss-lady of this purchase, hehe.

    Well, mine is actually just that - full XT with discs. Although the wheels are nicer, and the fork
    is top notch. Can't tell you how much it'd cost all at once, mine was built kinda ramshackle.

    check www.santacruzmtb.com , they've got detailed pricing and you can build up your own kit.

    Jon Bond

  6. > I should hopefully have an initial product report on the blur by mid next week, assuming I can
    > convince the wrench to build my wheels the second the parts come in, and I can figure out how to
    > fill and bleed those discs successfully!

    So about your sponsors... how did you get around to getting sponsored by lotsa peeps? My bike team
    (~80 peeps) has mostly local sponsors, but we're always looking for more. What's your tactic?

    BTW, don't be a pansy. Learn to build ur own wheels! Twist your nipples!

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Gman" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...

    > After riding the Enduro up SJT, I can say I

    Enduro was too heavy for my taste.

    > and the Epic? Too quirky No thanks.

    Me also think

    > The latest list:
    >
    > - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)
    > - Giant NRS (no test ride available)
    > - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)

    If you can't test ride it (as in hitting the trails), then can it.

    > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)

    Does SC make their own frames or do they outsource them? E.g. I have seen a couple of different
    brands of bike running Merida frames.

    > However, I have reliability concerns about all of these. I'm a big boy (215lbs), and although I
    > require good XC performance, I also like to jump a bit too.

    You beat me by 30 lbs. I am not sure the Fuel and NRS are designed with clysdales in mind.

    > I was bummed about the Specialized Enduro...THAT's the bike that's made for my riding style.
    > Crash-n-bash epic-long XC rides. Too bad it doesn't perform uphill.

    Doe it have a lockout?

    > HOWEVER I may have stumbled upon the Promised Land, Kona's "Back Country" line of bikes. For guys
    > that like to _ride_ up the hills AND bomb down (4" of travel). A little heavier, but what would
    > you expect??? Don't get the extra strength for free. I'm definitely not a weight-weenie, I'm a
    > performance-weenie!

    Being a wieght weenie is hazardous to your wallet.

    -Dave

  8. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    I own a Trek Fuel 90 that does well on climbs. I hear good things about the Giant NRS Air....

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

    "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > After riding the Enduro up SJT, I can say I definitely will not get one of those. That's my
    > second long ride and I gave it more than a fair chance, but the FSR is a frickin' pogo stick
    > uphill. I even added 50 psi to the rear shock...no diff. Some love it, but it does not compliment
    > my riding style.
    >
    > and the Epic? Too quirky No thanks.
    >
    > The latest list:
    >
    > - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)
    > - Giant NRS (no test ride available)
    > - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)
    > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)
    >
    > However, I have reliability concerns about all of these. I'm a big boy (215lbs), and although I
    > require good XC performance, I also like to jump a bit too. So basically, I plan on breaking any
    > of the above bikes and falling back on the warranty. That's not a good plan if you like your
    > teeth. Might as well keep the K2 EVO 3 which can apparently stand up to the torture (3 yrs so far
    > without a yelp) and call it good.
    >
    > I was bummed about the Specialized Enduro...THAT's the bike that's made for my riding style.
    > Crash-n-bash epic-long XC rides. Too bad it doesn't perform uphill.
    >
    > HOWEVER I may have stumbled upon the Promised Land, Kona's "Back Country" line of bikes. For guys
    > that like to _ride_ up the hills AND bomb down (4" of travel). A little heavier, but what would
    > you expect??? Don't get the extra strength for free. I'm definitely not a weight-weenie, I'm a
    > performance-weenie!
    >
    > I rode a Dawg (unfortunately just in the pkg lot) and I could barely get it to bob while MASHING
    > on the pedals in a big gear. I have read everything on the net I could find (yes, even mtbr) and
    > had email conversations with a couple of other big boys that have similar riding styles and are
    > runnin' Dawgs. So far so good...everyone loves the all-around performance of the Dawg despite the
    > 30+ pounds. This may be the bike. (let's hear it JD :)
    >
    > Gman...hmmmm...scratch that... GDawg out

  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > After riding the Enduro up SJT, I can say I definitely will not get one of those. That's my
    > second long ride and I gave it more than a fair chance, but the FSR is a frickin' pogo stick
    > uphill. I even added 50 psi to the rear shock...no diff. Some love it, but it does not compliment
    > my riding style.
    >
    > and the Epic? Too quirky No thanks.
    >
    > The latest list:
    >
    > - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)
    > - Giant NRS (no test ride available)
    > - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)
    > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)
    >
    > However, I have reliability concerns about all of these. I'm a big boy (215lbs), and although I
    > require good XC performance, I also like to jump a bit too. So basically, I plan on breaking any
    > of the above bikes and falling back on the warranty. That's not a good plan if you like your
    > teeth. Might as well keep the K2 EVO 3 which can apparently stand up to the torture (3 yrs so far
    > without a yelp) and call it good.
    >
    > I was bummed about the Specialized Enduro...THAT's the bike that's made for my riding style.
    > Crash-n-bash epic-long XC rides. Too bad it doesn't perform uphill.
    >
    > HOWEVER I may have stumbled upon the Promised Land, Kona's "Back Country" line of bikes. For guys
    > that like to _ride_ up the hills AND bomb down (4" of travel). A little heavier, but what would
    > you expect??? Don't get the extra strength for free. I'm definitely not a weight-weenie, I'm a
    > performance-weenie!
    >
    > I rode a Dawg (unfortunately just in the pkg lot) and I could barely get it to bob while MASHING
    > on the pedals in a big gear. I have read everything on the net I could find (yes, even mtbr) and
    > had email conversations with a couple of other big boys that have similar riding styles and are
    > runnin' Dawgs. So far so good...everyone loves the all-around performance of the Dawg despite the
    > 30+ pounds. This may be the bike. (let's hear it JD :)
    >
    > Gman...hmmmm...scratch that... GDawg out

    Dude, for a guy your size that likes epic rides, jumps, and drops, I wouldn't reccomend any of the
    bikes you've mentioned. I was immediately thinking Santa Cruz Bullit - 5 or so inches of travel,
    real tough, not too heavy - or Turner 5spot. The Kona might be a good choice; I can't really help
    with that as the closest Kona dealer to me is about 500 miles away.

    What I'm saying is, bikes like the Fuel and NRS are meant for shaved-leg 160 pounders. They wouldn't
    stand a chance under a guy like you - even if the frame could take it, yuo'd slop out the pivots way
    too quick, and you know the stock wheelset isn't gonna take it...say you get a Fuel 100 - you think
    RaceLites are gonna last under a 215 pounder jumping and dropping? And forget the Weyless - it may
    be inspired by the Superlight, but it is generic at best, crap at worst. A nice build kit does not a
    good bike make.

    Maybe I'm wrong...maybe your incredible technique allows you to coast over obstacles and drops and
    put little force on the bike itself - but I doubt
    it. I think XC racing machines might be trouble for you.

    Chris

  10. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Gman thoughtfully penned:
    > After riding the Enduro up SJT, I can say I definitely will not get one of those. That's my
    > second long ride and I gave it more than a fair chance, but the FSR is a frickin' pogo stick
    > uphill. I even added 50 psi to the rear shock...no diff. Some love it, but it does not compliment
    > my riding style.
    >
    > and the Epic? Too quirky No thanks.
    >
    > The latest list:
    >
    > - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)
    > - Giant NRS (no test ride available)
    > - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)
    > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's

    you can check out my Kona KK in a few weeks. It might be a little small for you tho...

    Penny

  11. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Gman" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]...

    <snip>

    > > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)
    > >

    > Does SC make their own frames or do they outsource them? E.g. I have seen a couple of different
    > brands of bike running Merida frames.

    Santa Cruz does not produce there own frames. They design, or buy designs, and out source
    production. Santa Cruz frames are produced by Kenesis USA (Kenesis has 3 plants world wide).

    Kinesis is one of the worlds largests manufacturers of aluminum bicycle frames and forks. They
    produce product under their own name, as well as making frames for many brands including Bianchi,
    Felt, K2, Haro, Jamis, Peugeot, Raleigh, Santa Cruz, and Specialized. But the vast majority of units
    are produced in the overseas plants.

    BTW Kenesis is also represented in the motorcycle industry.

  12. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I should hopefully have an initial product report on the blur by mid
    next
    > > week, assuming I can convince the wrench to build my wheels the second
    the
    > > parts come in, and I can figure out how to fill and bleed those discs successfully!
    >
    > So about your sponsors... how did you get around to getting sponsored by lotsa peeps? My bike team
    > (~80 peeps) has mostly local sponsors, but
    we're
    > always looking for more. What's your tactic?
    >
    > BTW, don't be a pansy. Learn to build ur own wheels! Twist your nipples!
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Basically sent them a letter telling them what we could offer (exposure, etc.), some basic results
    from the team, bright outlook for the future... it does certainly help when your coach knows like
    3/4 of the people in the industry (my coach is the head of the Eastern Collegiate Cycling
    Conference, and in 2001 won the Cat 2 Cyclocross National championship, plus he's one of the
    founders the Boston Cross team). Just send out some letters, usually in late summer/early fall is
    best, and see what happens.

    Jon Bond

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > If you can't test ride it (as in hitting the trails), then can it.

    What rock did you crawl out from under with all of the shitty advice you've been doling out here
    lately? You are an idiot and prove it more so with every post.

    JD

  14. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The latest list:
    >
    > - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)

    Can you say "pretzel"?

    > - Giant NRS (no test ride available)

    Not beefy enough either.

    > - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)

    kona = shit

    > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)

    Junk in a lame design.

    If you want a bike, buy a good bike and quit wasting your time test riding crap.

    JD

  15. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > After riding the Enduro up SJT, I can say I definitely will not get one of those. That's my
    > > > second long ride and I gave it more than a fair chance, but the FSR is a frickin' pogo stick
    > > > uphill. I even added 50 psi to the rear shock...no diff. Some love it, but it does not
    > > > compliment my riding style.

    Did you try switching the ITCH-switch by any chance?
    --
    _________________________

  16. Spider

    Spider Guest

    Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > After riding the Enduro up SJT, I can say I definitely will not get one of those. That's my
    > second long ride and I gave it more than a fair chance, but the FSR is a frickin' pogo stick
    > uphill. I even added 50 psi to the rear shock...no diff. Some love it, but it does not compliment
    > my riding style.
    >
    > and the Epic? Too quirky No thanks.

    Yeah, I'll buy that.

    > The latest list:
    >
    > - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)

    The Fuel bobs in the small 'ring. In the middle ring, it's pretty darn nice. Decent price, but not
    great for the spec. Pick one up late in the season, or after the 2004s are out.

    > - Giant NRS (no test ride available)

    Supposedly doesn't bob. At all. Good value for the money. If you are a Clyde, I'd stay away from
    this and the Fuel, unless you are easy on equipment.

    > - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)

    I have thought for a while now that Konas are overpriced for the content. My Kona did well, but it
    bobbed badly in the small ring, but was OK in the middle ring, as long as I pedalled circles.

    > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)

    Again, not the best choice for a Clyde.

    > However, I have reliability concerns about all of these. I'm a big boy (215lbs), and although I
    > require good XC performance, I also like to jump a bit too. So basically, I plan on breaking any
    > of the above bikes and falling back on the warranty. That's not a good plan if you like your
    > teeth. Might as well keep the K2 EVO 3 which can apparently stand up to the torture (3 yrs so far
    > without a yelp) and call it good.

    And cheaper, too! :)

    > I was bummed about the Specialized Enduro...THAT's the bike that's made for my riding style.
    > Crash-n-bash epic-long XC rides. Too bad it doesn't perform uphill.

    Well...

    How about a SPV shock, or a Romic/5th Element? Sure, it adds to the cost, but I do hear that they
    work wonders.

    > HOWEVER I may have stumbled upon the Promised Land, Kona's "Back Country" line of bikes. For guys
    > that like to _ride_ up the hills AND bomb down (4" of travel). A little heavier, but what would
    > you expect??? Don't get the extra strength for free. I'm definitely not a weight-weenie, I'm a
    > performance-weenie!

    Maybe you would be wise, then, to stay away from XC bikes like you have listed, and head more toward
    the "black diamond" stuff.

    > I rode a Dawg (unfortunately just in the pkg lot) and I could barely get it to bob while MASHING
    > on the pedals in a big gear. I have read everything on the net I could find (yes, even mtbr) and
    > had email conversations with a couple of other big boys that have similar riding styles and are
    > runnin' Dawgs. So far so good...everyone loves the all-around performance of the Dawg despite the
    > 30+ pounds. This may be the bike. (let's hear it JD :)

    Like I said above, Konas are nice bikes, and my Kona was great. But they are overpriced for the
    content. If you can get one on some sort of sale, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, go for something
    like the Giant VT line.

    Spider

  17. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    > Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > The latest list:
    > >
    > > - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)
    >
    > Can you say "pretzel"?
    >
    > > - Giant NRS (no test ride available)
    >
    > Not beefy enough either.
    >
    > > - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)
    >
    > kona = shit
    >
    > > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)
    >
    > Junk in a lame design.
    >
    > If you want a bike, buy a good bike and quit wasting your time test riding crap.
    >
    > JD

    Let's see, Giant, Kona, Santa Cruz, Gary Fisher, Trek, Weyless, all junk, right? Tell us, the
    captivated audience, just what a "good" bike is, please....

  18. R.White

    R.White Guest

    > [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > The latest list:
    > > >
    > > > - Trek Fuel (will ride soon)
    > >
    > > Can you say "pretzel"?
    > >
    > > > - Giant NRS (no test ride available)
    > >
    > > Not beefy enough either.
    > >
    > > > - Kona Kikapu (no test ride available)
    > >
    > > kona = shit
    > >
    > > > - Weyless SP (yes the SuperGo brand! It's essentially an SC Superlight. Compare the specs)
    > >
    > > Junk in a lame design.
    > >
    > > If you want a bike, buy a good bike and quit wasting your time test riding crap.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Let's see, Giant, Kona, Santa Cruz, Gary Fisher, Trek, Weyless, all junk, right? Tell us, the
    > captivated audience, just what a "good" bike is, please....

    In jerome's world, they're all URT's.

  19. R.White

    R.White Guest

    > "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > If you can't test ride it (as in hitting the trails), then can it.
    >
    > What rock did you crawl out from under with all of the shitty advice you've been doling out here
    > lately? You are an idiot and prove it more so with every post.
    >
    > JD

    Do you mean shitty advice like thinking a bike is a URT when it's not?