Which new rims to replace Mavic Open 4CD?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gregory Leblanc, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. I've got a set of wheels built on Mavic 501 hubs and Open 4 CD rims. I think I'm about due for a new
    set of rims, as these had a pretty rough crash last year and aren't staying true very well anymore,
    even after a rebuild. I'm not sure what I should be looking at for replacement rims. I'm not a big
    guy (14 stone, or 64kg), and these are 36 hole hubs/rims, but I'd like something that I don't have
    to fuss with very often. I'm also in Portland, Oregon, so the weather is either hot, or cool and
    very wet. Any suggestions? Greg

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Gregory Leblanc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I've got a set of wheels built on Mavic 501 hubs and Open 4 CD rims. I think I'm about due for a
    > new set of rims, as these had a pretty rough crash last year and aren't staying true very well
    > anymore, even after a rebuild. I'm not sure what I should be looking at for replacement rims. I'm
    > not a big guy (14 stone, or 64kg), and these are 36 hole hubs/rims, but I'd like something that I
    > don't have to fuss with very often. I'm also in Portland, Oregon, so the weather is either hot, or
    > cool and very wet. Any suggestions? Greg

    I would go either Open Pros which are the same basic design, or the Velocity Aeroheads. Either will
    work well with 36 spokes. Using Open Pros means that you can probably re-use your spokes, Velocities
    are a maybe.

    Mike

  3. gleblanc-<< I've got a set of wheels built on Mavic 501 hubs and Open 4 CD rims. << I'm not sure
    what I should be looking at for replacement rims

    Look for good rims but look harder for a good wheelbuilder. The rims most like O4CD are Mavic
    OpenPro, but Velocity makes some nice rims as well(Razor) as do others, like Ambrosio and Torelli.

  4. mikeshaw-<< I would go either Open Pros which are the same basic design, or the Velocity Aeroheads.
    Either will work well with 36 spokes. Using Open Pros means that you can probably re-use your
    spokes, Velocities are a maybe.

    Aeroheads are 602mm, OpenPro 605mm-ERDs-