which of these 3

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Visionset, Mar 14, 2003.

  1. Visionset

    Visionset Guest

    Given the choice of the following, which would you choose.

    I know the coppi weighs in at approx 24 Ibs and Trek did get back to me and say the Trek1000 is 22.5
    Ibs these are medium (54cm?) framed bikes. Dawes not sure.

    I know, ride them and see. But on paper?

    Trek 1000 - £399 ('02)

    Oversized Alpha Aluminium, custom butted 1-1/8" head tube, elliptical chainstays, cold forged
    replaceable derailleur hanger. Trek Pro geometry.

    FORK Alloy with alloy steerer.

    WHEELS Alex AT450 rims, alloy hubs, Bontrager Select tyres.

    COMPONENTS Shimano Sora 8-speed, Suntour Superbe crank. Double or triple chainset option.

    Fausto Coppi Torino - £450

    Frame: 7000 series alloy frame Fork: 1" 1/8 A-head alloy Wheelset: KT hubs on Rigida Nova rims
    Headset: Alloy 1" 1/8 Ahead Stem: ITM road racing Handle Bar: ITM super Europa Ergo Derailleurs:
    Shimano Sora 8 speed Shifters: Shimano Sora 8 speed STI Chainset: Cyclone Coppi alloy 53t/39t
    Cassette: Shimano 8 speed 12t/25t Calipers: Coppi alloy dual pivot F & R Seat Post: ITM 210 Saddle:
    Selle Italia XO Tyres: Vittoria Roma 700 x 23c Bar Tape: ITM cork Pedals: Not supplied Weight: 24lbs
    (approx) Colour: Silver/Black with White Fade

    Dawes Giro 400 - £429

    Frame: Fully butted Alloy 7005 HT Fork: Carbon Fibre Road with deep blade Tyres: Vittoria Rubino
    twin tread 700x23 Rims: Rigida Nova Stem: Ritchey Pro Ahead 4 bolt Levers: Shimano STI Rear Mech:
    Shimano Tiagra 8 speed Crankset: Shimano Sora 52/39 Saddle: Selle Italia Oktavia leather Pedals:
    Race specific aluminium

    --
    Mike W

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    VisionSet wrote:
    > Given the choice of the following, which would you choose.
    >
    > I know the coppi weighs in at approx 24 Ibs and Trek did get back to me and say the Trek1000 is
    > 22.5 Ibs these are medium (54cm?) framed bikes. Dawes not sure.

    Quoted complete bike weights are highly unreliable, so don't decide on that basis, and plenty of
    weight could be saved anyway if you ever upgrade from Sora.

    > I know, ride them and see.

    Or at least investigate the dimensions.

    > But on paper?

    They're all about equal quality so: the Trek if wanting a triple - seriously think about this
    very important factor - otherwise I don't know now. You have to decide what size and details seem
    best for you. To play safe, don't buy mail order but consult bike shops and choose the bike that
    fits you best.

    ~PB

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    > and plenty of weight could be saved anyway if you ever upgrade from Sora.

    Off the top of your head do you know the difference in weights between the various groups?

    cheers, clive

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    > "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > and plenty of weight could be saved anyway if you ever upgrade from Sora.
    >
    > Off the top of your head do you know the difference in weights between the various groups?
    >
    > cheers, clive

    Had a quick search on the net and found a few comparsions, but not all.

    I'm sure http://bike.shimano.com/ will have the info somewhere, but it may mean dowloading some pdf
    files by the look of it.

    Now if you wanted Campag, I could give you the full range, nut by nut!

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Clive George wrote:
    > "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> and plenty of weight could be saved anyway if you ever upgrade from Sora.
    >
    > Off the top of your head do you know the difference in weights between the various groups?

    No numbers off top of head, but weights are stated for each individual component at:
    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/ - Road Racing - Catalogue Selection

    ~PB

  6. "VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote

    <Trek 100? Coppi Lugano? Dawes Giro 400?>

    On paper the Dawes is a better buy - carbon forks, Tiagra. Nothing wrong with Dawes stuff - it's
    just not as fashionable as others. Tiagra is higher than Sora, but all three will still have
    relatively heavy bottom brackets - not that that is terribly important. IIRC the Dawes has mudguard
    lugs (name?) which makes it even more adaptable for light touring/commuting/winter training.

    Trek always get good write ups, even at this price point. Everything I've ever read about them
    rates them highly. Purely my own personal preference which doesn't like their paintscheme. Which
    brings me to...

    The Coppi bikes look fantastic, which is a major issue in the "smile" factor. I'm suprised at the
    relatively high quoted weight of the Coppi. Might be worth checking the weight against the Dawes. I
    remember a reveiw of the bottom of the range Gavia, which really rated it in C+, and a more snobbish
    review in CW, which, again on memory, concentrated on the fact that Coppi now want to enter the less
    expensive end of the market. OTOH, the top of the range Championissimo won the Giro d'Italia last
    year, so they must be doing something right.

    Also worth remembering not to get too hung up about weight or componenty until it's the bike holding
    you back, not your legs and lungs. But this is easy to say, and harder to believe when faced with so
    many affordable objects of desire ;))

    HTH (but it probably won't) SteveP

  7. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    > Off the top of your head do you know the difference in weights between the various groups?

    Just came accross this site, which seems to answer all our weight related questions.

    http://www.extralight.co.uk/weights.htm

    Cheers,

    Andy

  8. Tony W