Which of these bikes should I buy?

ncjake

Jul 26, 2004
I know this question is asked repeatedly, and I am sorry but I want to know which of these three bikes you think is best or is the best value. They are in my price range(400-700 USD). If you know of any other good bikes in this range please let me know. Thanks! :)

Lemond Nevada City
Bianchi Brava
Giant OCR 3

ncjake said:
I know this question is asked repeatedly, and I am sorry but I want to know which of these three bikes you think is best or is the best value. They are in my price range(400-700 USD). If you know of any other good bikes in this range please let me know. Thanks! :)

Lemond Nevada City
Bianchi Brava
Giant OCR 3

for that money a great quality used bike is the best option.

I agree with the previous poster.... Ebay is a great place to find a bike or last year models from a LBS.

i was shopping in this range, realized i didn't want sora equipment and spent a little extra on a trek 1200. i have a feeling that the $100 over that $400-700 range that i specified for myself as well is going to be well worth it later on. something to consider. also, make sure you know something about sizing before going to ebay or buying used.

I am looking in that price rangemyself and i think i have narrowed my search to the specialized allez (620 msrp). It comes witha carbon fork and i did the research to upgrade to ultegra components later on will costmne about 150 - 200 installed. Justletting you know what i have decided, it might be worth looking into. ;)

SWEETRIDE4ME said:
I am looking in that price rangemyself and i think i have narrowed my search to the specialized allez (620 msrp). It comes witha carbon fork and i did the research to upgrade to ultegra components later on will costmne about 150 - 200 installed. Justletting you know what i have decided, it might be worth looking into. ;)
cannondale r400 or r500.. from 800-900$

Check out the Raleigh R500 for about $650usd; 105 rear der with Tiagra shifters puts you into the 9 speed world. I swear the only reason Shimano sells Sora is so they can make you buy a new bike in short time. The few bucks to graduate your shopping to the next level is minimal. i do agree the best bang for the buck is a used bike.

SWEETRIDE4ME said:

No offense but I can assure you that upgrading that bike to Ultegra will cost you way more than $150-$200. A new set of Ultegra shifters/brake levers alone will cost you around $175!

meehs said:
No offense but I can assure upgrading that bike to Ultegra will cost you way more that $150-$200. A new set of Ultegra shifters/brake levers alone will cost you around $175!
Good catch.Besides, there is NO point in buying a near bottom of the barrel bike and then shelling out agan for a complete parts upgrade.

meehs said:
No offense but I can assure you that upgrading that bike to Ultegra will cost you way more than $150-$200. A new set of Ultegra shifters/brake levers alone will cost you around $175!
You are correct that was my mistake when I posted a few weeks back. I am new to the sport and have been researching and learning constantly and I have decided to splurge for the 1200 or 1500.;)

I'm pretty set on when I buy a new one this spring it will be either a Felt F50 or F60 depends probably on how much money I have. The F50 is full Ultegra.

ncjake said:

Lemond Nevada City
Bianchi Brava
Giant OCR 3
Have you looked online? Try supergo.com. They have an entry level sub 20 lb bike with shimano 105 components for $749. I have one if you want details.

that looks like a pretty nice bike, you say you have one if so I would like to know what you think about it.

I must agree with the Schwinn recommendation. While some might scoff at the name, the bikes are great deals for the money.

rumptis said:
that looks like a pretty nice bike, you say you have one if so I would like to know what you think about it.
I bought mine in May of this year. I have had zero problems with it so far and ride it almost every day. I am up to about 75-100 miles a week. This is a perfect beginner bike. Shimano 105 components have worked flawlessly. The aero frame looks better in person.

One thing to keep in mind if you are considering this bike is the downsides to an online purchase. You have to be somewhat mechanically inclined. They ship the bike to you MOSTLY complete. You have to put on the handlebars, seat post, and front wheel (and adjust the front brake). This was all fairly easy for me, but could be a problem for some. I am also able to do minor derailler adjustments, which saves me from taking it to a shop. Also, you want to make sure you buy the right frame size because fit is so important.

izzodesh said:
cannondale r400 or r500.. from 800-900$
I picked up an R400 from REI for 549.00 My first road bike, I've had it for about 3 months and I pretty happy. Yes, I would like something with a little better components but for a first bike it does me just fine. But I'm a newbie, what do I know.;)

L