Which one for Urban use?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The 13th Man, Feb 18, 2003.

  1. The 13th Man

    The 13th Man Guest

    I'm after a new bike largely for use urban use around the city. I want something that's light and
    strong (though not a road bike) more a mountain-style hybrid bike. My budget is up to £400.

    Further to some of the advice from you good people recently, I've decided to opt for a rigid bike,
    so I suppose my choice is somewhat limited given that so many seem to have at least front suspension
    these days.

    I've narrowed down my likely choice of bikes to the following:

    Marin Muirwoods Trek 7300/7400 (can someone tell me the difference between these two?)

    Can any of you tell me the relative merits of these, and whether there are any other makes and
    models I should be looking at given my requirements and budget?

    All opinions welcome!

    Tags:

  2. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    The 13th Man wrote:

    >Marin Muirwoods Trek 7300/7400 (can someone tell me the difference between these two?)
    >
    >Can any of you tell me the relative merits of these, and whether there are any other makes and
    >models I should be looking at given my requirements and budget?

    I've been riding a Marin Palisades in London very happily for 10 years. Last year I took it over the
    Pyrenees, Atlantic to Mediterranean, with not so much as a puncture.

    The ten year old Palisades model is similar to today's Muirwoods.
    --
    remove remove to reply

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "The 13th Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Marin Muirwoods Trek 7300/7400 (can someone tell me the difference between these two?)

    The 7300 has 24 speed deraileur gears, the 7400 7 speed hub gears, so.. The hub gears are
    potentially more maintenance free, particularly good for winter riding but you have fewer of them.
    Fine for short trips, commuting etc but if you intend going on longer jaunts and/or hilly routes the
    24 should be better. The frames have different styling, not neccessarily different geometry so if
    that were the sole criteria it would be whatever appeals to the eye most.

    The 24 speed Trek has similar components to the Marin but with handle bar twist gear shifters rather
    than thumb shifters, they're a matter of personal choice and while some may swear allegiance to one
    or t'other IMHO having bikes with both types there's nothing in it, certainly not for road work. The
    Marin has a steel frame (getting rare) while the Treks are aluminium, again some people express
    strong opinions about this but in IME it's not so much the material but how it's used so don't take
    too much notice of strong opinions about either.

    In the final analyis it may come down to what grabs your eye. (I own a Marin and a Trek and wouldn't
    be swayed by the badge).

    Pete

  4. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > Marin Muirwoods Trek 7300/7400 (can someone tell me the difference between these two?)
    >
    > Can any of you tell me the relative merits of these, and whether there are any other makes and
    > models I should be looking at given my requirements and budget?

    I'm on an '02 muirwoods around London. No complaints. Its quick and comfy. Its great when you're
    doing long rides. Its not great on rough roads (including poorly kept cycle lanes), though thats
    expected without the front sus and the default road-style tyres. I looked around, and there wasn't
    alot else that I really liked in that price range. Keep in mind £400 gets you something pretty good
    second hand.

    Any other questions about it, let me know :)

  5. The 13th Man

    The 13th Man Guest

    Ignore me.

    I award myself "Plank of the Month" award - I must have selected the woman's variant from the drop
    down menu.

    "The 13th Man" <mad.professor*doesntlikespam*@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just noticed on the Marin website - it seems that only one size (15) is available, surely this
    > can't be right? That would appear to be the
    smallest
    > size and probably unsuitable for someone of 6"1' like me.....
    >
    > "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Marin Muirwoods Trek 7300/7400 (can someone tell me the difference between these two?)
    > > >
    > > > Can any of you tell me the relative merits of these, and whether there are any other makes and
    > > > models I should be looking at given my requirements and budget?
    > >
    > > I'm on an '02 muirwoods around London. No complaints. Its quick and
    > comfy.
    > > Its great when you're doing long rides. Its not great on rough roads (including poorly kept
    > > cycle lanes), though thats expected without the front sus and the default road-style tyres. I
    > > looked around, and there wasn't alot else that I really liked in that price range. Keep in mind
    > > £400 gets you something pretty good second
    > hand.
    > >
    > > Any other questions about it, let me know :)

  6. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > I award myself "Plank of the Month" award - I must have selected the
    woman's
    > variant from the drop down menu.

    Heh, I'm on an 18.5" and I'm only slightly under 6'1". Its a good size for
    me.Cheers

  7. "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Marin Muirwoods Trek 7300/7400 (can someone tell me the difference between these two?)
    > >
    > > Can any of you tell me the relative merits of these, and whether there are any other makes and
    > > models I should be looking at given my requirements and budget?

    Yeah, buy a second or third-hand bike, preferably a "racer" with paint chips, rust and lots of dirt.
    If all you want to do is ride around town, then it would be nice to find it there when you get back.
    My own personal town bike, or "shopping trolley" as I prefer to call it, came in exchange for a set
    of weights that I no longer used, and is all of the above in spades: I have left it unlocked outside
    shops and other places, and it's still there when I come back. I have put a rack on the back so I
    can carry panniers, do my shopping, carry a change of clothing, locks, books. I also put on a dynamo
    and an LED rear light, so I never have to worry about being caught without lights. Since it is a
    racing type ie drop bars and narrow tyres, it is also considerably quicker than most mountain bikes,
    and it gives me great pleasure to pass £2000 of mtb on my 50p special.