which one is better, opinions please..

tottenham21

Nov 12, 2011
I'm planning on buying some energy gel for when I go riding, I have seen them on amazon.com just would like to know what most of you lot think of them, they got GU ENERGY GEL, and CLIF ONES..any input will be gladly appreciated.

I haven't tried Gu, but I've tried the Clif Shot Bloks and they're fantastic! I use them while running and biking and they definitely help ALOT! I have no say on which is better between the two, but try out the Clif Bloks.

I just use honey. glucose, fructose, and dextrin at a higher concentration than gels and much cheeper. the dextrin amount does vary depending on the species of bee.

Thank you all for the replies, I'm leaning towards the CLIF GEL, to the bloke telling me about the honey I don't really wanna try honey alone as I'm watching my sugar levels as to not wanting to develop diabetes..

Go down the local bike store and buy a few on each brand. Try them and see how they work out for you. Note that you need to try them on particularly hard rides as your ability to deal with "food" does change under stress as does your sense of taste. You won't be the first person to thing that something works well during an easy 30 mile ride and the after 60 miles on a fairly hard ride you end up with bad gas or worse. Don't be too surprised either if what tastes good now doesn't taste as great when it's 100F outside.

+1 for honey, it works for me but I do need to follow it with a chaser H2O.

You can flavor it with a bit of drink mix if the original flavor isn't to your liking.

Originally Posted by tottenham21 .

Thank you all for the replies, I'm leaning towards the CLIF GEL, to the bloke telling me about the honey I don't really wanna try honey alone as I'm watching my sugar levels as to not wanting to develop diabetes..

I dont use any of this stuff but if you are worried about diabetes honey would be better for your health.

tottenham21 said:
Everyone one of the goo variants is designed to deliver energy fast, which means they'll all have a high glycemic index, meaning your blood sugar will spike after use.