Which one??

goneridn

Mar 9, 2004
I'm looking at new bikes and it's come down to the following choices any first hand experience from you fellow bikers would be helpful.
Klien Q Pro XV
Lightspeed Solano
Dean El Vado
Trek 5500

Originally posted by goneridn
I'm looking at new bikes and it's come down to the following choices any first hand experience from you fellow bikers would be helpful.
Klien Q Pro XV
Lightspeed Solano
Dean El Vado
Trek 5500
No first hand experience, so I'll be brief... those are cool bikes. :cool:

Somewhere in the wasteland of custom painting, non-responsive emails, distorted timelines, wishful thinking, and ambivalent insider favor-trading, there's a Klein Q-Pro frameset with my name on it, nearly a month overdue... if this thread is still going when it comes, rest assured I'll offer some feedback.

ah, and word is the weather was absolutely gorgeous in the east bay this weekend!

poor lokstah

Originally posted by fushman
ah, and word is the weather was absolutely gorgeous in the east bay this weekend!

poor lokstah
The weather IS gorgeous. Luckily, I've still got my TCR. Rode up to Tilden on my lunch break today.

Anyways, back to Gonriden's bike... what are you leaning towards? What's got your interest so far?

Originally posted by lokstah
The weather IS gorgeous. Luckily, I've still got my TCR. Rode up to Tilden on my lunch break today.

Anyways, back to Gonriden's bike... what are you leaning towards? What's got your interest so far?

At least you've had time to ride....

A month overdue? uummm more like 2 or 3 months overdue :D

you're a patient one ;)

I'm leaning towards the Ti bikes because of the ride and durability. This is going to be my bike for at least 5 years, I'll be buying bikes for my kids so I won't be able to afford another one.

If your not racing,the LS is overkill. Go for the trek if you need that much bike.

If your not racing,the LS is overkill. Go for the trek if you need that much bike.

Originally posted by shokhead1
I'm not too familiar with this model; what's your rationale? Anything in particular make this a race only bike, compared to the Trek, Klein, and Dean? They're all top shelf.

Is the geometry particularly aggressive?

Nah, the Solano is a semi-aero all Ti frame with Carbon fork and Ultegra - totally in line with the other bikes listed and about $2700 US - cheaper than most of those listed. It would be a fine choice for a performance/enthusiast/century rider who wants Ti at a reasonable cost. I'm still not sure about Litespeed's aluminum bikes but their Ti models are all excellent (except Ultimate - many problems there).

Klien Q Pro XV
Lightspeed Solano
Dean El Vado
Trek 5500

Which bike did you get? I am trying to decide between the Solanoa and Trek 5200 (same frame as 5500). I don't want a completely 'race' geometry...I want something comfortable for recreational rides of 50-60km.

I got the Solano. It is a great bike awsome ride. I liked the feel of the Ti better than the carbon.

I got the Solano. It is a great bike awsome ride. I liked the feel of the Ti better than the carbon.

Would you say it is 'comfortable' for a longish recreational ride? I'm not a racer and don't want a really stooped over geometry.
thanks

Originally posted by fredf
Would you say it is 'comfortable' for a longish recreational ride? I'm not a racer and don't want a really stooped over geometry.
thanks
Yeah I think so I don't race I only ride for fun. My longest ride this year has only been about 60 miles and it was comfortable for me much more comfortable than my cannondale was.