Which Panniers on Your HP Velo SMGT(e)?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by NYC XYZ, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Hi, All:

    What panniers do you use for the SMGT(e)?

    If both back and underseat rack options are available, but only one
    needs to be utilized, which should it be? I think I read somewhere
    that underseat is preferrable in such a case, owing to lower center of
    gravity or some such reason....

    I'm thinking about commuting on this if the route(s) are feasible! But
    I'll need to lug around each day's office attire, minus shoes (which I
    keep on a shelf under the computer desk); hence the panniers....

    Also, are HP's "Moonbiker" bags EXACTLY Radical Designs' own
    large-sized 'bent bags? Or are they, as per HP's site, specially
    designed to fit on HP's back rack...?

    And what's this talk about waterproof fabrics still necessitating a
    waterproof cover or liner since the bags are stitched and hence may
    "leak" all the same???

    Etc.

    (No, never used panniers in my cycling life before!)

    TIA!

    Tags:

  2. NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Hi, All:

    The punctuation in the salutation is odd indeed.

    > What panniers do you use for the SMGT(e)?

    Ask Peter Clinch, Medical Physics IT Officer
    University of Dundee Ninewells Hospital
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

    Or you could just look at his website and read the following:

    "I use a pair of Ortlieb lightweight roll-top panniers on the rear and
    Altura Orkney universals on the lowriders. The Alturas have lots of
    handy pockets for tools and snacks etc, while the Ortliebs are
    completely waterproof for major luggage which needs to stay dry, so the
    combination of the two works well." -
    <http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/tourdunord.htm>.

    > If both back and underseat rack options are available, but only one
    > needs to be utilized, which should it be? I think I read somewhere
    > that underseat is preferrable in such a case, owing to lower center of
    > gravity or some such reason....

    There is more physical space on the back of the bicycle, so these
    panniers could be larger. However, it is generally desirable to keep
    the combined rider/bicycle/cargo center of gravity near the midpoint
    between the two (2) tire contact patches on a SWB bicycle, so heavier
    items are best carried in the underseat panniers.

    > TIA!

    As J. Brandt points out in his inimitable style [2], this should simply
    be written as "Thanks".

    [1] <http://www.ortliebusa.com/>.
    [2]
    <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/ddcec2c5c2cee388?dmode=source>.

    --
    Tom Sherman

  3. "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hi, All:
    >
    > What panniers do you use for the SMGT(e)?
    >
    > If both back and underseat rack options are available, but only one
    > needs to be utilized, which should it be? I think I read somewhere
    > that underseat is preferrable in such a case, owing to lower center of
    > gravity or some such reason....
    >
    > I'm thinking about commuting on this if the route(s) are feasible! But
    > I'll need to lug around each day's office attire, minus shoes (which I
    > keep on a shelf under the computer desk); hence the panniers....
    >
    > Also, are HP's "Moonbiker" bags EXACTLY Radical Designs' own
    > large-sized 'bent bags? Or are they, as per HP's site, specially
    > designed to fit on HP's back rack...?
    >
    > And what's this talk about waterproof fabrics still necessitating a
    > waterproof cover or liner since the bags are stitched and hence may
    > "leak" all the same???
    >
    > Etc.
    >
    > (No, never used panniers in my cycling life before!)
    >

    > TIA!

    I would think you would want a Speedbag Rear bag pannier fairing like this
    guy has too http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/13q11/cycling/smgt.html

  4. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

    > The punctuation in the salutation is odd indeed.

    Standard business format, I thought. Hell, the Germans use exclamation
    points!

    > Ask Peter Clinch, Medical Physics IT Officer
    > University of Dundee Ninewells Hospital
    > Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    >
    > Or you could just look at his website and read the following:
    >
    > "I use a pair of Ortlieb lightweight roll-top panniers on the rear and
    > Altura Orkney universals on the lowriders. The Alturas have lots of
    > handy pockets for tools and snacks etc, while the Ortliebs are
    > completely waterproof for major luggage which needs to stay dry, so the
    > combination of the two works well." -
    > <http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/tourdunord.htm>.

    Hehehe...thanks! Now I'll pay more attention to sig lines....

    > There is more physical space on the back of the bicycle, so these
    > panniers could be larger. However, it is generally desirable to keep
    > the combined rider/bicycle/cargo center of gravity near the midpoint
    > between the two (2) tire contact patches on a SWB bicycle, so heavier
    > items are best carried in the underseat panniers.

    OK!

    > As J. Brandt points out in his inimitable style [2], this should simply
    > be written as "Thanks".

    OIC!

    > [1] <http://www.ortliebusa.com/>.
    > [2]
    > <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/ddcec2c5c2cee388?dmode=source>.

    LOL!

    > --
    > Tom Sherman

    THX, CYA L8R!

  5. NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
    > >
    > > The punctuation in the salutation is odd indeed.

    > Standard business format, I thought. Hell, the Germans use exclamation
    > points!...

    "Hi, All:" is standard business format?

    When sending a deliverable to a client, I would not use "Hi, [name]:"
    as a salutation in the cover letter - maybe things are done differently
    in NYC?

    --
    Tom Sherman ]

  6. ST

    ST Guest

    On 2/18/06 10:49 PM, in article
    [email protected], "NYC XYZ"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi, All:
    >
    > What panniers do you use for the SMGT(e)?
    >
    > If both back and underseat rack options are available, but only one
    > needs to be utilized, which should it be? I think I read somewhere
    > that underseat is preferrable in such a case, owing to lower center of
    > gravity or some such reason....
    >
    > I'm thinking about commuting on this if the route(s) are feasible! But
    > I'll need to lug around each day's office attire, minus shoes (which I
    > keep on a shelf under the computer desk); hence the panniers....
    >
    > Also, are HP's "Moonbiker" bags EXACTLY Radical Designs' own
    > large-sized 'bent bags? Or are they, as per HP's site, specially
    > designed to fit on HP's back rack...?
    >
    > And what's this talk about waterproof fabrics still necessitating a
    > waterproof cover or liner since the bags are stitched and hence may
    > "leak" all the same???
    >
    > Etc.
    >
    > (No, never used panniers in my cycling life before!)
    >

    > TIA!

    Recumbent??

    BARF!!!!!!!

  7. ST (who?) anonymously snipes:

    > Recumbent??
    >
    > BARF!!!!!!!

    Recumbent bike/trike riders do not wish to be associated with your
    type.

    --
    Tom Sherman

  8. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

    > "Hi, All:" is standard business format?

    You mentioned orthography, so yes, the colon is standard business
    format.

    > When sending a deliverable to a client, I would not use "Hi, [name]:"
    > as a salutation in the cover letter

    Now you're talking content -- in which case, yes, actually, that's
    often done too.

    > - maybe things are done differently
    > in NYC?

    Indeed, you'd wonder how anything ever gets done!

    > --
    > Tom Sherman ]

  9. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    ST wrote:

    > Recumbent??
    >
    > BARF!!!!!!!

    ?

    I don't understand. What's so bad about comfort?

  10. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

    > Or you could just look at his website and read the following:
    >
    > "I use a pair of Ortlieb lightweight roll-top panniers on the rear and
    > Altura Orkney universals on the lowriders. The Alturas have lots of
    > handy pockets for tools and snacks etc, while the Ortliebs are
    > completely waterproof for major luggage which needs to stay dry, so the
    > combination of the two works well." -
    > <http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/tourdunord.htm>.

    I think that's a good combo, but not the only thing to look at. One
    thing to be sure of is that any panniers you choose will fit on 12mm
    racks, as that's what the SMGT uses. I had to replace my old Carradice
    panniers as they only go up to 11mm which is fine for most bikes, but
    not mine :-(

    The Ortliebs are the most user-friendly for fitting and dismounting I've
    found, and are at least as good as anything else in terms of quality.
    But if you like lots of easy access pockets, not so good. You can get
    retrofit detachable pockets for them, but IMHO those aren't as easy to
    use as integral zip fastened pockets on the likes of the Alturas.

    >>If both back and underseat rack options are available, but only one
    >>needs to be utilized, which should it be? I think I read somewhere
    >>that underseat is preferrable in such a case, owing to lower center of
    >>gravity or some such reason....

    > There is more physical space on the back of the bicycle, so these
    > panniers could be larger. However, it is generally desirable to keep
    > the combined rider/bicycle/cargo center of gravity near the midpoint
    > between the two (2) tire contact patches on a SWB bicycle, so heavier
    > items are best carried in the underseat panniers.

    The SMGT will take full size panniers on the lowrdier racks, but of
    course "full size" means different things... 20 litre Ortlieb "rear
    rollers" will fit, at any rate.

    What Tom says above is true but note the "heavier items" bit. Heavy
    loads make more sense on the lowriders as they affect handling less
    (basically, not at all IME), but if it doesn't weigh too much then
    mounting them behind means the seat tends to keep them out of the wind
    so your aerodynamics suffer less.

    Another option for full-on luggage is a recumbent specific pannier like
    the Radicals, or HPVel's Moonbiker bags (actually made for them by
    Radical IIRC, though only in Humungous size). Roos uses these on her
    Fiero for tours and if you've got a big load they work very well,
    allowing the weight to be set under the rider forward of the rear wheel
    and being far more aerodynamic than standard panniers. Gotchas are that
    you need to use them as a pair and they're a PITA to take on and off.
    For the tour described at
    http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/tourdunord.htm she just left
    them on the bike the whole time and unloaded them into the tent for the
    night, rather than remove the panniers. Fortunately the very long zip
    access makes this easy to do. You can see pictures of them in action on
    those tour pages, where you can see that unlike the twin sets on my SMGT
    the Radicals actually make the bike look cooler when they're mounted!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  11. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Thanks again for the advice. Hmm, I wonder why HP's bags cost so much
    more than the same ones, really, direct from the manufacturer?

    I'll really only be taking along the day's office attire...I suppose
    having rear rack bags on either side isn't too much, even for that.
    I'm still a bit nervous about just how low the underseat rack hangs! I
    don't expect to do any touring for years yet, so I'll probably wind up
    removing that underseat rack for now.

    Peter Clinch wrote:
> [...]

    > and being far more aerodynamic than standard panniers. Gotchas are that
    > you need to use them as a pair and they're a PITA to take on and off.
    > For the tour described at
    > http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/tourdunord.htm she just left
    > them on the bike the whole time and unloaded them into the tent for the
    > night, rather than remove the panniers. Fortunately the very long zip
    > access makes this easy to do. You can see pictures of them in action on
    > those tour pages, where you can see that unlike the twin sets on my SMGT
    > the Radicals actually make the bike look cooler when they're mounted!
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Thanks again for the advice. Hmm, I wonder why HP's bags cost so much
    > more than the same ones, really, direct from the manufacturer?

    They have a nice logo and you can buy them with the bike is my guess...
    Maybe there are some extra bits done for HPVel, I'm not sure.

    > I'll really only be taking along the day's office attire...I suppose
    > having rear rack bags on either side isn't too much, even for that.

    Why bother with panniers at all? You can get what you need in a
    rack-pack or a seat bag and either will be completely out of the
    airstream behind the seat and/or your head. Ortlieb do a nice
    quick-release rack pack and Radical do seat bags. Either mount and
    dismount very easily.

    > I'm still a bit nervous about just how low the underseat rack hangs!

    I've yet to ground out the luggage, I did catch the propstand while
    riding a daft off-road track behind some sand dunes once, but for the
    most part you can rest assured they're well tested. You have more
    ground clearance than typical pedals on DFs at 6 o'clock.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  13. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:

    > They have a nice logo and you can buy them with the bike is my guess...
    > Maybe there are some extra bits done for HPVel, I'm not sure.

    That's what I'm wondering -- but no mention is made of any special
    features...as a matter of fact, their description reads almost like a
    cut-n-paste of Radical's own specs! And who wants purple, anyway??
    Something bright should do -- which makes me wonder why there aren't
    any flourescent/neon colors available....

    > Why bother with panniers at all? You can get what you need in a
    > rack-pack or a seat bag and either will be completely out of the
    > airstream behind the seat and/or your head. Ortlieb do a nice
    > quick-release rack pack and Radical do seat bags. Either mount and
    > dismount very easily.

    I didn't want to fold and scrunch up my clothes -- you know, suit and
    tie and so forth; otherwise I could just carry them along in a regular
    backpack!

    > I've yet to ground out the luggage, I did catch the propstand while
    > riding a daft off-road track behind some sand dunes once, but for the
    > most part you can rest assured they're well tested. You have more
    > ground clearance than typical pedals on DFs at 6 o'clock.

    Ah, yes, I'd only just thought of that myself, staring at the DF on the
    wall! I'm scheduled to pick up my SMGTe mid-to-late March, and I'm
    thinking of a million and one things to get in addition.

    BTW, how fast can you go on your SMGT, and for how long? Curious. I
    don't remember the 'bent being any different than an upwrong where
    speed's concerned, though I wasn't at no velodrome, after all. I
    understand there are "issues" or possible issues with hills and keeping
    up with many a wedgie, but I always figured it to be mostly up to the
    rider, as with any other bike. Yet, the local 'bent riders don't seem
    to do more than ~15mph on average! Though they also seem to all be
    middle-aged-and-above chubby types, too.... =)

    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  14. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Earl Bollinger wrote:

    > I would think you would want a Speedbag Rear bag pannier fairing like this
    > guy has too http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/13q11/cycling/smgt.html

    Well, for one thing, HP Velo no longer seems to sell those anymore.
    They also look too '60s or '70s for me, too...Age of Aquarius....