Which Panniers on Your HP Velo SMGT(e)?

NYC XYZ

Guest
Hi, All:

What panniers do you use for the SMGT(e)?

If both back and underseat rack options are available, but only one
needs to be utilized, which should it be? I think I read somewhere
that underseat is preferrable in such a case, owing to lower center of
gravity or some such reason....

I'm thinking about commuting on this if the route(s) are feasible! But
I'll need to lug around each day's office attire, minus shoes (which I
keep on a shelf under the computer desk); hence the panniers....

Also, are HP's "Moonbiker" bags EXACTLY Radical Designs' own
large-sized 'bent bags? Or are they, as per HP's site, specially
designed to fit on HP's back rack...?

And what's this talk about waterproof fabrics still necessitating a
waterproof cover or liner since the bags are stitched and hence may
"leak" all the same???

Etc.

(No, never used panniers in my cycling life before!)

TIA!

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Hi, All:

The punctuation in the salutation is odd indeed.

> What panniers do you use for the SMGT(e)?

Ask Peter Clinch, Medical Physics IT Officer
University of Dundee Ninewells Hospital
Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Or you could just look at his website and read the following:

"I use a pair of Ortlieb lightweight roll-top panniers on the rear and
Altura Orkney universals on the lowriders. The Alturas have lots of
handy pockets for tools and snacks etc, while the Ortliebs are
completely waterproof for major luggage which needs to stay dry, so the
combination of the two works well." -
<http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/tourdunord.htm>.

> If both back and underseat rack options are available, but only one
> needs to be utilized, which should it be? I think I read somewhere
> that underseat is preferrable in such a case, owing to lower center of
> gravity or some such reason....

There is more physical space on the back of the bicycle, so these
panniers could be larger. However, it is generally desirable to keep
the combined rider/bicycle/cargo center of gravity near the midpoint
between the two (2) tire contact patches on a SWB bicycle, so heavier
items are best carried in the underseat panniers.

> TIA!

As J. Brandt points out in his inimitable style [2], this should simply
be written as "Thanks".

[1] <http://www.ortliebusa.com/>.
[2]
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/ddcec2c5c2cee388?dmode=source>.

--
Tom Sherman

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> The punctuation in the salutation is odd indeed.

Standard business format, I thought. Hell, the Germans use exclamation
points!

> Ask Peter Clinch, Medical Physics IT Officer
> University of Dundee Ninewells Hospital
> Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
>
> Or you could just look at his website and read the following:
>
> "I use a pair of Ortlieb lightweight roll-top panniers on the rear and
> Altura Orkney universals on the lowriders. The Alturas have lots of
> handy pockets for tools and snacks etc, while the Ortliebs are
> completely waterproof for major luggage which needs to stay dry, so the
> combination of the two works well." -
> <http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/tourdunord.htm>.

Hehehe...thanks! Now I'll pay more attention to sig lines....

> There is more physical space on the back of the bicycle, so these
> panniers could be larger. However, it is generally desirable to keep
> the combined rider/bicycle/cargo center of gravity near the midpoint
> between the two (2) tire contact patches on a SWB bicycle, so heavier
> items are best carried in the underseat panniers.

OK!

> As J. Brandt points out in his inimitable style [2], this should simply
> be written as "Thanks".

OIC!

> [1] <http://www.ortliebusa.com/>.
> [2]
> <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/ddcec2c5c2cee388?dmode=source>.

LOL!

> --
> Tom Sherman

THX, CYA L8R!

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> >
> > The punctuation in the salutation is odd indeed.

> Standard business format, I thought. Hell, the Germans use exclamation
> points!...

"Hi, All:" is standard business format?

When sending a deliverable to a client, I would not use "Hi, [name]:"
as a salutation in the cover letter - maybe things are done differently
in NYC?

--
Tom Sherman ]

On 2/18/06 10:49 PM, in article
[email protected], "NYC XYZ"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi, All:
>
> What panniers do you use for the SMGT(e)?
>
> If both back and underseat rack options are available, but only one
> needs to be utilized, which should it be? I think I read somewhere
> that underseat is preferrable in such a case, owing to lower center of
> gravity or some such reason....
>
> I'm thinking about commuting on this if the route(s) are feasible! But
> I'll need to lug around each day's office attire, minus shoes (which I
> keep on a shelf under the computer desk); hence the panniers....
>
> Also, are HP's "Moonbiker" bags EXACTLY Radical Designs' own
> large-sized 'bent bags? Or are they, as per HP's site, specially
> designed to fit on HP's back rack...?
>
> And what's this talk about waterproof fabrics still necessitating a
> waterproof cover or liner since the bags are stitched and hence may
> "leak" all the same???
>
> Etc.
>
> (No, never used panniers in my cycling life before!)
>

> TIA!

Recumbent??

BARF!!!!!!!

ST (who?) anonymously snipes:

> Recumbent??
>
> BARF!!!!!!!

Recumbent bike/trike riders do not wish to be associated with your
type.

--
Tom Sherman

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> "Hi, All:" is standard business format?

You mentioned orthography, so yes, the colon is standard business
format.

> When sending a deliverable to a client, I would not use "Hi, [name]:"
> as a salutation in the cover letter

Now you're talking content -- in which case, yes, actually, that's
often done too.

> - maybe things are done differently
> in NYC?

Indeed, you'd wonder how anything ever gets done!

ST wrote:

> Recumbent??
>
> BARF!!!!!!!

?

I don't understand. What's so bad about comfort?

Thanks again for the advice. Hmm, I wonder why HP's bags cost so much
more than the same ones, really, direct from the manufacturer?

I'll really only be taking along the day's office attire...I suppose
having rear rack bags on either side isn't too much, even for that.
I'm still a bit nervous about just how low the underseat rack hangs! I
don't expect to do any touring for years yet, so I'll probably wind up
removing that underseat rack for now.

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Thanks again for the advice. Hmm, I wonder why HP's bags cost so much
> more than the same ones, really, direct from the manufacturer?

They have a nice logo and you can buy them with the bike is my guess...
Maybe there are some extra bits done for HPVel, I'm not sure.

> I'll really only be taking along the day's office attire...I suppose
> having rear rack bags on either side isn't too much, even for that.

Why bother with panniers at all? You can get what you need in a
rack-pack or a seat bag and either will be completely out of the
airstream behind the seat and/or your head. Ortlieb do a nice
quick-release rack pack and Radical do seat bags. Either mount and
dismount very easily.

> I'm still a bit nervous about just how low the underseat rack hangs!

I've yet to ground out the luggage, I did catch the propstand while
riding a daft off-road track behind some sand dunes once, but for the
most part you can rest assured they're well tested. You have more
ground clearance than typical pedals on DFs at 6 o'clock.

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:

> They have a nice logo and you can buy them with the bike is my guess...
> Maybe there are some extra bits done for HPVel, I'm not sure.

That's what I'm wondering -- but no mention is made of any special
features...as a matter of fact, their description reads almost like a
cut-n-paste of Radical's own specs! And who wants purple, anyway??
Something bright should do -- which makes me wonder why there aren't
any flourescent/neon colors available....

> Why bother with panniers at all? You can get what you need in a
> rack-pack or a seat bag and either will be completely out of the
> airstream behind the seat and/or your head. Ortlieb do a nice
> quick-release rack pack and Radical do seat bags. Either mount and
> dismount very easily.

I didn't want to fold and scrunch up my clothes -- you know, suit and
tie and so forth; otherwise I could just carry them along in a regular
backpack!

> I've yet to ground out the luggage, I did catch the propstand while
> riding a daft off-road track behind some sand dunes once, but for the
> most part you can rest assured they're well tested. You have more
> ground clearance than typical pedals on DFs at 6 o'clock.

Ah, yes, I'd only just thought of that myself, staring at the DF on the
wall! I'm scheduled to pick up my SMGTe mid-to-late March, and I'm
thinking of a million and one things to get in addition.

BTW, how fast can you go on your SMGT, and for how long? Curious. I
don't remember the 'bent being any different than an upwrong where
speed's concerned, though I wasn't at no velodrome, after all. I
understand there are "issues" or possible issues with hills and keeping
up with many a wedgie, but I always figured it to be mostly up to the
rider, as with any other bike. Yet, the local 'bent riders don't seem
to do more than ~15mph on average! Though they also seem to all be
middle-aged-and-above chubby types, too.... =)

> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

[followups trimmed]
NYC XYZ wrote:

> That's what I'm wondering -- but no mention is made of any special
> features...as a matter of fact, their description reads almost like a
> cut-n-paste of Radical's own specs! And who wants purple, anyway??
> Something bright should do -- which makes me wonder why there aren't
> any flourescent/neon colors available...

Ask Dupont, because they make Cordura and that's what they're made of.
Like most panniers, in fact, and I can't recall seeing many in fluo.

> I didn't want to fold and scrunch up my clothes -- you know, suit and
> tie and so forth; otherwise I could just carry them along in a regular
> backpack!

Think about this... if you're not folding your trousers you'll need a
good yard plus of linear storage. I think you'll have trouble finding
any panniers that enable you to /not/ fold up your trousers. Folding
need not equate to "scrunching".

Also think about how you'll carry your "regular backpack" while sitting
on a chair with a full backrest...

> BTW, how fast can you go on your SMGT, and for how long?

Don't know how fast as I don't have a speedo. I tend not to go
especially fast, but if I wanted too I'd have a Speedmachine instead
(tried the new underseat steer version last Saturday, it's a cracker!)
How long is "until my legs are pumped", which is different from my old
DF tourer because after 5 hours or so (including breaks) on that I would
have to stop because of arm and neck discomfort.

> don't remember the 'bent being any different than an upwrong where
> speed's concerned, though I wasn't at no velodrome, after all. I
> understand there are "issues" or possible issues with hills and keeping
> up with many a wedgie

The thing about comparisons is not so much that one is faster or slower,
period, but one is faster than the other in different places. Much like
a tandem, you'll be slower on climbs relative to a DF solo, but quicker
coming down, and quicker on the flat into a headwind. If they're
willing to wait for you at the top of climbs and you're willing to wait
for them after descents it isn't much of a problem, but you wouldn't fit
in with a Chain Gang.

--

Peter Clinch wrote:

><SNIP>
>

> Think about this... if you're not folding your trousers you'll need a
> good yard plus of linear storage. I think you'll have trouble finding
> any panniers that enable you to /not/ fold up your trousers. Folding
> need not equate to "scrunching".

Right you are; I didn't mean it literally, though it's what I wound up
saying.

> Also think about how you'll carry your "regular backpack" while sitting
> on a chair with a full backrest...

Well, I'd thought I'd just wear it backwards -- or frontwards, I should
say!

> Don't know how fast as I don't have a speedo. I tend not to go
> especially fast, but if I wanted too I'd have a Speedmachine instead
> (tried the new underseat steer version last Saturday, it's a cracker!)
> How long is "until my legs are pumped", which is different from my old
> DF tourer because after 5 hours or so (including breaks) on that I would
> have to stop because of arm and neck discomfort.

Hmm. Well, if the SMGTe can average a modest 20 mph, that'll be good
enough.

> The thing about comparisons is not so much that one is faster or slower,
> period, but one is faster than the other in different places. Much like
> a tandem, you'll be slower on climbs relative to a DF solo, but quicker
> coming down, and quicker on the flat into a headwind. If they're
> willing to wait for you at the top of climbs and you're willing to wait
> for them after descents it isn't much of a problem, but you wouldn't fit
> in with a Chain Gang.

Well, as long as I can keep up. I don't mind slower on the hills,
necessarily -- though I love tackling hills on an upright! -- but I
plan on doing a lot of these group tours, these centuries and so forth,
on the SMGTe, and I can't be left behind.

NYC XYZ wrote:

> Right you are; I didn't mean it literally, though it's what I wound up
> saying.

If not literally, then a good size rack box riding on the back of a
suspended bike should give plenty of opportunity for a good fold. Aside
from anything else, the base will be wider than almost all panniers.

> Well, I'd thought I'd just wear it backwards -- or frontwards, I should
> say!

Possible, but say goodbye to the comfort advantage you've just spent a
couple of thousand on...

> Hmm. Well, if the SMGTe can average a modest 20 mph, that'll be good
> enough.

That depends on the engine. I don't maintain that sort of speed on
mine, I don't know if you would or not.

> Well, as long as I can keep up. I don't mind slower on the hills,
> necessarily -- though I love tackling hills on an upright! -- but I
> plan on doing a lot of these group tours, these centuries and so forth,
> on the SMGTe, and I can't be left behind.

I've overtaken plenty of wedgies going up hills, but given two basically
similar engines, one on a light DF tourer and one on a Streetmachine,
the Streetmachine will probably get left behind. This really shouldn't
be news at this point...

Pete.
--

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Thanks again for the advice. Hmm, I wonder why HP's bags cost so much
> more than the same ones, really, direct from the manufacturer?
>
> I'll really only be taking along the day's office attire...I suppose
> having rear rack bags on either side isn't too much, even for that.
> I'm still a bit nervous about just how low the underseat rack hangs! I
> don't expect to do any touring for years yet, so I'll probably wind up
> removing that underseat rack for now.

For commuting with office attire you might want to consider Two Wheel
Gear's bike garment bag. It goes over the rear rack. See
http://www.twowheelgear.com/.

---
John Knez

John Knez wrote:

> For commuting with office attire you might want to consider Two Wheel
> Gear's bike garment bag. It goes over the rear rack. See
> http://www.twowheelgear.com/.
>
> ---
> John Knez

Cool, thanks! But then I guess I could just use my own pre-existing,
non-bike-specific garment bag, only have to "jimmy" it around the
bike...?

NYC XYZ wrote:

> Cool, thanks! But then I guess I could just use my own pre-existing,
> non-bike-specific garment bag, only have to "jimmy" it around the
> bike...?

You probably could. I haven't seen one of these in person, but I'm
assuming this bag has some bike specific features that might be nice to
have. Whether they're nice enough to pay $130 for I couldn't say. I
guess it depends partly on how easy it is to adapt your current garment
bag to your rear rack.

---
John Knez