Which Panniers

Black Cat

Oct 28, 2005
I'm seeking advice on suitable pannier or panniers for my daily commute of around 24 miles (total). I normally carry a couple of items of clothes (shirt, socks, etc.) leaving my work suit and shoes at work, and a very few tools .

They will of course need to be weather proof as I will be cycling throughout winter.

Any personal recommendations would be gratefully received.

PS. Im new to this e-community so hope I've posted into the right area.

Cheers.

I'm seeking advice on suitable pannier or panniers for my daily commute of around 24 miles (total). I normally carry a couple of items of clothes (shirt, socks, etc.) leaving my work suit and shoes at work, and a very few tools .

They will of course need to be weather proof as I will be cycling throughout winter.

Any personal recommendations would be gratefully received.

PS. Im new to this e-community so hope I've posted into the right area.

Cheers.

I've been using a pair of Nashbar waterproof panniers for a year now. Here is the site: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=66&subcategory=1004&brand=&sku=6997&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Pros:
-cheap, $50 ($40 with a 20% off coupon)
-waterproof
-big: I can fit a Jansport Backpack packed with textbooks into these bags

Cons:
-the panniers don't have any sophisticated mounting equipment, so they'll fly off if you accidentally hit them with the back of your foot
-one of the plastic buckles that keeps the top flap down has broken
-there's only one huge pocket, no sub-dividers

My friend has a pair of Ortliebs, which run in the hundreds of dollars. The higher price is justified by fancier features. But if you want a cheap set, go for these.

Jack