Which Panniers?

Black Cat

Oct 28, 2005
I'm new to this forum and posted this yesterday in the tech corner and got zero responses so thought i might have better fortune with you guys.

I have recently fitted a light weight rack to my road bike

I'm seeking advice on suitable pannier or panniers for my daily commute of around 24 miles (total). I normally carry a couple of items of clothes (shirt, socks, etc.) leaving my work suit and shoes at work, and a very few tools - so I trave quite light. But if i had better storage I'd probably also carry a rain suit now we are into the worse weather.

The panniers will of course need to be weather proof as I will be cycling throughout winter.

Any personal recommendations would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Black Cat said:
I'm new to this forum and posted this yesterday in the tech corner and got zero responses so thought i might have better fortune with you guys.

I have recently fitted a light weight rack to my road bike

I'm seeking advice on suitable pannier or panniers for my daily commute of around 24 miles (total). I normally carry a couple of items of clothes (shirt, socks, etc.) leaving my work suit and shoes at work, and a very few tools - so I trave quite light. But if i had better storage I'd probably also carry a rain suit now we are into the worse weather.

The panniers will of course need to be weather proof as I will be cycling throughout winter.

Any personal recommendations would be gratefully received.

Cheers.
Ortlieb are famous for being weather-proof, but if you're not touring you don't need to spend that kind of money. Karrimor will do, keep the stuff inside in bin-liners and it'll stay dry.

I saw this advice on some website...

"Panniers are bags designed to fit on your bike and carry 50% more than you actually need. When looking for panniers, find a nice big pair and don't buy them."

Thanks for the responses - I'll check out the range you suggest, and I'd already decided to only buy something as big as i need to avoid the temptation of hauling around dead weight unnecessarily - Cheers

:D
Black Cat said:
Thanks for the responses - I'll check out the range you suggest, and I'd already decided to only buy something as big as i need to avoid the temptation of hauling around dead weight unnecessarily - Cheers
I just bought some Nashbar Panniers that are humongous and so far they're working well. I have yet to have it rain on me but they are supposed to be waterproof. They fit very securely to the rack.