Which pedal to buy?

dwj444

Aug 26, 2003
I'm looking for a new pair of pedals to throw onto a 2001 Trek 2300. The current set are one sided Icons and I'm riding with a crappy pair of Nike cycling shoes. I'm looking to replace both the shoes and pedals for something substantially better, although I'd rather not spend the rent for it. Mechanic at the LBS says to look at Time and Look; I'm seeing a lot of folks talking about Shimano SPD-SL pedals. Opinions? Suggestions?
Thanks!

Originally posted by dwj444
I'm looking for a new pair of pedals to throw onto a 2001 Trek 2300. The current set are one sided Icons and I'm riding with a crappy pair of Nike cycling shoes. I'm looking to replace both the shoes and pedals for something substantially better, although I'd rather not spend the rent for it. Mechanic at the LBS says to look at Time and Look; I'm seeing a lot of folks talking about Shimano SPD-SL pedals. Opinions? Suggestions?
Thanks!

For what it's worth I just ordered the Ultegra SPD-SL pedals because I got a great deal on them but I haven't recieved them yet so I can't give you my first hand impression of them. I do know that they seem to be one of the most popular choices on these forums and also the only pedal that no one that uses them has complained about. The Look seem to be hit or miss with most people. I use Time ATACs on my mountain bike but I haven't really heard anything good or bad about thier road pedals.

Matt

For shoes, be sure to try Carnac. I've ridden a lot of brands like Sidi (great off road) and Look, but my Carnac Legends were a serious bump up in quality. It's just not easy an easy brand to find. Call around to your local shops. If you live D.C., you probably have a lot of shops to choose from.

As for pedals, I ride Shimano Dura-Ace SPDs. But I actually have the previous generation pedals. I like them alot, but the newer models are supposed to be even better for cornering, stepping into, release, etc. Honestly, after riding the DA pedals, I would buy another pair in a heartbeat. Very high quality--very reliable. I've ridden Look as well, with no complaints really. Stepping

Woops, hit enter by mistake...

Stepping into Look pedals is very easy, but I like something about the float better on my Shimano pedals. And the profile is lower on Shimanos, making cornering easier.

I would never pay 250.00 plus for pedals. I have been riding
since 1968, yeah, I'm an old man of 54 years. I used to ride
pedals with toe straps......remember those???? I still use a pair
of campy super records pedals without straps. No more straps
for me or clipping myselfs into some expensive pedal. Bought
a Litespeed Tsali in 2002, and looked hard for a basic pedal
that didn't weigh alot. Went with WTB pedals. Super light....
no hassel. I live in Florida, ride the beaches and wear sandals
alot......like getting my feet tan (LOL's). Anyway, save alot of
money....pedals cost 55.00 and can wear anytype of shoe I
want. Get away from those expensive pedals and expensive
shoes......start enjoy cycling again.

Originally posted by hohobike
I would never pay 250.00 plus for pedals. I have been riding
since 1968, yeah, I'm an old man of 54 years. I used to ride
pedals with toe straps......remember those???? I still use a pair
of campy super records pedals without straps. No more straps
for me or clipping myselfs into some expensive pedal. Bought
a Litespeed Tsali in 2002, and looked hard for a basic pedal
that didn't weigh alot. Went with WTB pedals. Super light....
no hassel. I live in Florida, ride the beaches and wear sandals
alot......like getting my feet tan (LOL's). Anyway, save alot of
money....pedals cost 55.00 and can wear anytype of shoe I
want. Get away from those expensive pedals and expensive
shoes......start enjoy cycling again.

Of course clipping yourself in doesn't hurt when you live up north where there are hills to climb!! Not all of us have the good fortune to live next to an ocean. :) I use clipless exlcusively for my road rides but have a dual purpose pedal for my hybrid (clipless on one side and flat on the other).

Check out Crank Brothers' platform/eggbeater atb pedal; Wellgo also has a platform/spd pedal.

Originally posted by dwj444
Thanks!

Go to http://www.roadbikerider.com, click on product reviews, and read the reviews on both the Dura-Ace and Ultrega versions of the new SPD-SL pedals. The reviewer loves them, and loved the Ultrega version better because it was nearly $100 cheaper and the same high quality.

An even cheaper version of the SPD-SL pedal is due soon, too, according to this news report:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/news/aug20

"A new inexpensive road pedal brings 'Lance pedal' technology right down to the entry level. This replaces the R535 SPD-R and completes Shimano's switch to the 'Lance pedal' design across all its road pedals."

Originally posted by Babbar
Go to http://www.roadbikerider.com, click on product reviews, and read the reviews on both the Dura-Ace and Ultrega versions of the new SPD-SL pedals. The reviewer loves them, and loved the Ultrega version better because it was nearly $100 cheaper and the same high quality.

I agree totally! Go for the SPD-SL R600's (the ultegra). You can get them for less than 100$ and they really are a great buy. Compared to the previous year's model, they are superb (so don't get those ones!).

I have been using the Ultegra SPD-SL pedals for a month now and they are great. I used Look pedals before that and they were also satisfactory. I like the lower profile of the Shimano pedals, but I liked the feedback of the distinct snap when clipping into the Looks. I just hope Shimano doesn't decide to change the design again in a couple of years.

Originally posted by BaCardi
Speedplay pedals are gay.

BaCardi, Your sexual preference for pedals has no place on this board.

I am sure if I referred to another brand as "****_rs" you and everybody else would be rightly upset.

Get it together and stop the mindless offensive language. Unless of course you meant it as a compliment...

Originally posted by joakley
I agree totally! Go for the SPD-SL R600's (the ultegra). You can get them for less than 100$ and they really are a great buy. Compared to the previous year's model, they are superb (so don't get those ones!).

The best I have fouind on the r600's is $130. Where can I find them for $100?

Originally posted by jitteringjr
Is this where you found the ultegra pedals on Ebay?

I bought from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3626362576&category=36138

Paid $86.00 plus shipping ($7.50). New, in the box, new style cleats (not recalled), arrived promptly, and love the pedals. I have the Ultegras on my 15 year old Tomassini, and the Dura Ace version (paid $138.00 from Total Cycling in Ireland) on my 2002 Litespeed Tuscany. Love them both, and cannot tell the difference. The eBay seller I've recommended has the Dura Ace pedal for approx $140...