Which pedal to use for racing: Ritchey proV3, LOOK pp357 or Shimano PD R353?

jcr

Aug 18, 2003
or the Wellgo MG9.

What are the advantages and disadvantages for these pedals and which one do you guys/gals recommend for racing? Ritchey has the lightest weigh and shimano seems to have the best reviews (most popular too).

Ritchey is made of aluminum while shimano is composite and LOOK is made of alum. also. Since ritchey and shimano use similar cleat systems, does this mean they are nearly the same to clip on/off?

tough decision for me and my cousin to please help us out!!!:confused:

Originally posted by jcr
or the Wellgo MG9.

What are the advantages and disadvantages for these pedals and which one do you guys/gals recommend for racing? Ritchey has the lightest weigh and shimano seems to have the best reviews (most popular too).

Ritchey is made of aluminum while shimano is composite and LOOK is made of alum. also. Since ritchey and shimano use similar cleat systems, does this mean they are nearly the same to clip on/off?

tough decision for me and my cousin to please help us out!!!:confused:
Calm down, calm down. No problem, no problem at all.

First off, go ahead and scratch the Wellgo off your list. I'd say this is down to the Shimano and the Look; I've never used the Ritcheys but their MTB pedals have a better reputation than their Shimano-style road offerings. They're lightweight, but I've heard they don't have quite the quality of action they should.

Yes, Shimano and Look employ a similar design, and between these two models, it's going to boil down to preference of feel and engamement. I'm not sure what the specs are for these babies, but you'll want to compare float between them as well as price, weight, and general user satisfaction. Float is not super-important to everyone, but it's important to my comfort level, which is why I use Speedplays (you can get Speedplay X3 and maybe even X2 pedals in this price range, by the way).

Noise may seem irrelevant, but many Look users complain that theirs chirp -- which could turn a tough climb into a maddening one.

Good luck!

The Ritchey web site has some pedal info:

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/faqtechhm.htm

What Cleats should I use?

2003 and newer: Ritchey and Shimano pedals will share the same cleats. 2002 and older: The Ritchey pedals are designed to run with Ritchey cleats. The Shimano cleats will clip in but will not perform properly. Your ingress and egress performance will be hampered.

I use the 357 pedals on both my rr and tt bikes, and love them. I don't even look (pardon the pun) at other pedals.

Forget the rest.... Time Impact Mg (or Mg/Ti if you've got the $$$)

I love 'em. You'll never pull out

Never heard of a Shimano "R353" pedal.. though whatever it is, I'm guessing it would likely be either their old SPD-R system, or the tiny road-version SPD pedals.

I'm a fan of their current SPD-SL system for road use.

The Ultegra versions (PD-R600) can be had for reasonable prices from some online merchants (particularly those with ebay shops), though there is a newer, cheaper still variant about.. the PD-R540.