which pedals are better

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by djlance, Jun 13, 2005.

1. djlance

djlance New Member

i am thinking about purchasing some road pedals for my road bike. i currently have shimano spd double sided pedals on there but i am thinking about crossing over into the road pedals. I have a leg length discrepency with one leg and on the other i have a sort of tilt so i have to use lemond wedges for both shoes. I was wondering which 2 road pedals are better overall for knee pain since i will buy the wedges for the pedals i was wondering which of the 2 are better overall in comfort and performance especially for someone who has the problems i do

Shimano SPD SL 7800 or speedplay zero

Tags:

2. RC2

RC2 New Member

That depends on which you prefer -- apples or oranges? I like apples and Speedplay (bad knees -- years of skiing and soccer -- and like simple things, like stepping down and hearing 'click' vs. having to figit and right the pedal first).

3. wineandkeyz

wineandkeyz New Member

Another vote for Speedplay. I've got Zeros on both my bikes, and have been very pleased with them. None of the knee pain I used to get from time to time with my old SPD-type pedals.

4. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

I have a leg length discrepancy as well, and I'm using the Speedplay Zeros. They work well with the spacers/wedges.

5. friedmikey

friedmikey New Member

Are the Speedplays easier to clip into than SPD-SL?

I'm getting new shoes this week and before I see my fitter to help me set my cleat positions, I need to decide if I also want to stick with Shimano, or switch to a different pedal. Also thinking of Look Keo Carbon or Time RXS Carbon.

6. jfhawley

jfhawley New Member

I switched from SPD to speedplay, and the speedplays are roughly a 100 times easier to clip into than SPD's. No fussing around at all. Love 'em.

7. aktran

aktran New Member

With the kind of problems you have either speedplay (float), or the good old Look would work best since it allows more adjustment of all sort.

8. klinej

klinej New Member

I use Coombe Pro's and I'm very happy with them. No pull-out when standing, no springs to fail and great ground clearence.

9. kona don

kona don New Member

I'm another vote for SpeedPlay. I've got the variable float on both my bikes and haven't had any knee pain or problems since I started using them 3 years ago. I'm not aware of any cleat that's easier or faster to clip into than SpeedPlay.

10. sonicfish

sonicfish New Member

I've just purchased a set of Time RXS Carbon, they have loads of float and lots of adjustment. These are my second set of Time pedals, great pedals.

11. wunderkap

wunderkap New Member

Speedplay Zeros

12. zperrys

zperrys New Member

Lots of votes for Speedplay and I have to agree. I've had mine for several years now (not zeros, but some other model) and love them. I had a pair of Looks before that, and wonder if there isn't a strange irony in the name (because that's exactly what I had to do nearly every time to clip in...). The Looks were great pedals, but in traffic (okay, so I don't clip in fast and my track stand isn't so great either...) they were a hazard...

13. boze

boze New Member

i have the speedplay X1's love them. i think that's the model. if you're not a big racer then the X5's are also supposed to be a good value.

i don't know anybody who's ever had speedplay road pedals and not liked them.

14. mwl986

mwl986 New Member

I have never used Speedplay but am very happy with the 7800 pedals. Time is actually a better choice if you have knee problems. I used to have Impacts but found them a little heavy and hard to get into to.

Mike

15. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Speedplay. Started having knee issues while using Looks (not secondary to pedals...cause was something independent). Fit sessions didn't help. Knee pn was the same whether I used red or black cleats. Moved to Speedplay X/2's, and the knee issues disappeared.

16. GHIONIK

GHIONIK New Member

How are Speedplays easier than Look pedals to "clip in"?

17. Norgi

Norgi New Member

I am a big fan of Speedplay, but have only ever used the X/3 pedals. My understanding of the difference is that the X series allow a much greater movement spinning on the center of the pedal left to right than the Zero's, and that the Zero's are adjustable in terms of how much they will allow.

It was a bit strange to have all that freedom at first, but I LOVE IT now. And they are great for getting into as well. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

18. elgordo

elgordo New Member

I'd like to put in a plug for either the Crank Brothers Quatro or Crank Brothers Candy. The SPD wedges should be compatable with either. The Quatros' are the road pedal, while the Candys are considered Mtn. Bike pedals, but still give good support. Both work with road or mountain bike shoes and are easy to get in and out of. If you use road shoes, the Quatro cleats work beter than the candy road cleats.

El Gordo

19. DEEZAL

DEEZAL New Member

look keos are very good

20. holoclothes

holoclothes New Member

do you get hotspots with the speedplays? is there enough support?