Which pedals?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Resound, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    There's probably been threads about this before, but I'm starting another one. :p I'm thinking about getting clipless pedals. The question is which ones? I get the impression that Look pedals are a trifle dodgy...is this a wrong impression? Other than that, SPDs, eggbeaters etc, which are the way to go? Tell me your thoughts, your preferences, your good and bad experiences and so on.

    Tags:

  2. BanditManDan

    BanditManDan New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2004
    I recently switch from SPD's to LOOK's. I decided to switch because of slight difficulties clipping in quickly because the cleat was so small and I found that the lack of float in the SPD's was causing knee problems. I narrowed down my selection to LOOK's or Speedplays but choose the LOOK's because they are significantly less expensive than the Speedplays and provide enough float to ease my knee pain. It took me a little while to get used to them but now that I have they work great.

    Dan.

  3. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "BanditManDan" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Resound Wrote:
    >> There's probably been threads about this before, but I'm starting
    >> another one. :p I'm thinking about getting clipless pedals. The
    >> question is which ones? I get the impression that Look pedals are a
    >> trifle dodgy...is this a wrong impression? Other than that, SPDs,
    >> eggbeaters etc, which are the way to go? Tell me your thoughts, your
    >> preferences, your good and bad experiences and so on.

    > I recently switch from SPD's to LOOK's. I decided to switch because
    > of slight difficulties clipping in quickly because the cleat was so
    > small and I found that the lack of float in the SPD's was causing knee
    > problems. I narrowed down my selection to LOOK's or Speedplays but
    > choose the LOOK's because they are significantly less expensive than
    > the Speedplays and provide enough float to ease my knee pain. It took
    > me a little while to get used to them but now that I have they work
    > great.

    Lack of float with SPDs? Unless I'm very much misunderstanding what you
    mean I have a hard time believing that.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  4. BanditManDan

    BanditManDan New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2004
    Perhaps your SPD pedals had some type of float adjustments but mine didn't (or anyone elses that I've seen for that matter). Are you possibly getting SPD's and Speedplays confused? Just to clarify I'm talking about old style SPD's and not Speedplays or SPD-SL's.

  5. On 2005-01-06, BanditManDan wrote:

    > DRS Wrote:
    >> Lack of float with SPDs? Unless I'm very much misunderstanding what you
    >> mean I have a hard time believing that.

    > Perhaps your SPD pedals had some type of float adjustments but mine
    > didn't (or anyone elses that I've seen for that matter). Are you
    > possibly getting SPD's and Speedplays confused? Just to clarify I'm
    > talking about old style 'SPD's' (http://tinyurl.com/56ftq) and not
    > Speedplays or SPD-SL's.

    *scratches head*

    Could somebody please explain to me what is meant here by "float"? I
    have SPDs (very similar to the above URL), and a pair of dicky knees, so
    any information on how I can make life easier for my knees would be very
    much appreciated.

    Cheers, and thanks.

  6. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    I have Looks - 1998 vintage - and they are still going strong. I love em! I find that I go thru cleats (the red ones -you can get black ones too which have less float??? I may be wrong here - pls correct me somone!) every 6 mth or so but I also buy them in "bulk" (ie 3 prs in a pack) thru Cecil Walker who discount them this way. I will be getting Looks on my new road bike ( 2006 I hope!!! maybe.. perhaps.. well.. we'll see!!!) unless I come across something that is a must must have instead.

    Perhaps if you clarify what you mean by "a trifle dodgy"???

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    wrote:

    > DRS Wrote:
    > > Lack of float with SPDs? Unless I'm very much misunderstanding what you
    > > mean I have a hard time believing that.

    > Perhaps your SPD pedals had some type of float adjustments but mine
    > didn't (or anyone elses that I've seen for that matter).

    They don't have adjustable float, but they do have 6 degrees of float.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Stuart Lamble <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Could somebody please explain to me what is meant here by "float"? I
    > have SPDs (very similar to the above URL), and a pair of dicky knees, so
    > any information on how I can make life easier for my knees would be very
    > much appreciated.

    Float means you can rotate your foot. Some set-ups allow none, others
    allow varying degrees. Some people claim extra float has solved their
    knee problems, while others claim eliminating float has fixed theirs. It
    depends on your pedalling action.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  9. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "BanditManDan" <[email protected]
    > DRS Wrote:
    > > Lack of float with SPDs? Unless I'm very much misunderstanding what you
    > > mean I have a hard time believing that.
    > > Perhaps your SPD pedals had some type of float adjustments but mine

    > didn't (or anyone elses that I've seen for that matter). Are you
    > possibly getting SPD's and Speedplays confused? Just to clarify I'm
    > talking about old style 'SPD's' (http://tinyurl.com/56ftq) and not
    > Speedplays or SPD-SL's.

    There's no float adjustment but that doesn't mean there's no
    float. As far as I am aware all SPD pedals have float.

    "Available with 6 degrees of "float" (3 degrees each direction),
    or fixed / no float."
    http://www.icyclesusa.com/catalog/shimano-spd-cleats.htm

    I can clip into SPD pedals HEAPS faster than SPD-SLs
    which are quite similar to LOOK pedals. It must just be
    your style or what you are used to because SPDs can
    just be smacked into unlike the SPD-SLs which you have
    to make sure you don't flip onto their back. I am much
    quicker with the SPD-SLs now, I must admit.

    hippy

  10. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Resound" <[email protected]
    > There's probably been threads about this before, but I'm starting
    > another one. :p I'm thinking about getting clipless pedals. The
    > question is which ones? I get the impression that Look pedals are a
    > trifle dodgy...is this a wrong impression? Other than that, SPDs,
    > eggbeaters etc, which are the way to go? Tell me your thoughts, your
    > preferences, your good and bad experiences and so on.

    Commuting = SPD
    Racing = SPD-SL
    MTB = I'd like to try the Eggbeaters and Time
    also get good reviews.

    If you are anti-Shimano.. tough! :p

    hippy

  11. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "warrwych" <[email protected]
    > I have Looks - 1998 vintage - and they are still going strong. I love
    > em! I find that I go thru cleats (the red ones -you can get black ones
    > too which have less float??? I may be wrong here - pls correct me
    > somone!)

    Red = 9 degrees float
    Black = 0 degrees float

    > every 6 mth or so but I also buy them in "bulk" (ie 3 prs in a
    > pack) thru Cecil Walker who discount them this way. I will be getting
    > Looks on my new road bike ( 2006 I hope!!! maybe.. perhaps.. well..
    > we'll see!!!) unless I come across something that is a must must have
    > instead.

    SPD-SLs seem to have attracted many favourable comments,
    even from long-term LOOK fans.

    hippy

  12. Mick

    Mick Guest

    "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > There's probably been threads about this before, but I'm starting
    > another one. :p I'm thinking about getting clipless pedals. The
    > question is which ones? I get the impression that Look pedals are a
    > trifle dodgy...is this a wrong impression? Other than that, SPDs,
    > eggbeaters etc, which are the way to go? Tell me your thoughts, your
    > preferences, your good and bad experiences and so on.
    >

    > --
    > Resound

    I use SPD on my mtb and SPD-SL on my road bike. Both have
    float. The SPD's I find a lot easier to clip into, although I've only
    been using the SL's for a few weeks.

    The SPD's are double sided and you don't have to be too accurate
    with your foot placement to clip in. Also I find if I do happen to
    miss with the SPD's I can manage a couple of revolutions with
    one foot not clipped in if needed.

    The SL's are single sided and I find I have to be a lot more
    "careful" clipping in. I'm sure that will get easier with more
    practise. If I do miss with the SL's though, and turn the pedal
    over... on a hill... I'm walkin'. Now I understand what that
    other thread was all about.

    Mick

  13. BanditManDan

    BanditManDan New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2004
    That's interesting, most people I've talked to say the opposite including myself. Glad to hear that you've mastered the SPD's so well, sounds like your pedals are better balanced than mine were. I had to flip over my SPD's the same way as the LOOK pedals to clip in but since the cleat was larger I was able to hit the pedal better with the LOOKs.

  14. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "BanditManDan" <[email protected]
    > hippy Wrote:
    > > I can clip into SPD pedals HEAPS faster than SPD-SLs
    > > which are quite similar to LOOK pedals. It must just be
    > > your style or what you are used to because SPDs can
    > > just be smacked into unlike the SPD-SLs which you have
    > > to make sure you don't flip onto their back. I am much
    > > quicker with the SPD-SLs now, I must admit.
    > >
    > > hippy

    > That's interesting, most people I've talked to say the opposite
    > including myself. Glad to hear that you've mastered the SPD's so well,
    > sounds like your pedals are better balanced than mine were. I had to
    > flip over my SPD's the same way as the LOOK pedals to clip in but since
    > the cleat was larger I was able to hit the pedal better with the LOOKs.

    Ahh.. I should've mentioned. Those ones you showed the
    picture of are the evil single-sided ones. They suck afaik.
    I have the double-sided caged, double-sided cageless
    and spd+flat pedal versions. The worst of these for
    clipping in is the spd+flat pedal version, because you have
    to make sure you get the right side up. Because they have
    a large flat pedal on the other side though it's not really
    an issue, unlike road pedals (SPD-SL, LOOK, etc) where
    your foot will slip off the back of the pedal..
    Double-sided SPD are great for commuting where you
    need to regularly unclip and clip-in (unless you trackstand).
    I trackstand more now with the SPD-SLs because they are
    a bit harder to clip-in quickly with.

    hippy

  15. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Resound wrote:

    > I get the impression that Look pedals are a trifle dodgy...is this a
    > wrong impression?

    Hmmm... My first Look pedals were actually Shimano 105s, bought in the late eighties. Since then I've also bought a set of Look PP296 and Look PP396 pedals, and all three sets are still going strong on three different bikes, though the Shimano ones look really amazingly scuffed these days.

    There's no better pedal, IMHO, and if you trundle along to a race meeting you'll find that perhaps 50% of roadies agree.

    I've tried SPDs (I bought a pair of M747s and a pair of M646s), but found them a PITA to clip into, much harder than Looks. Also, the teeny weeny pedal makes your foot hurt on long rides.

    The SPD-SLs are better than the SPDs (or so I hear), but then they should be, as they're a shameless copy of the Looks.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Shane Stanley" <[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > suzyj <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > the teeny weeny pedal makes your foot hurt on long rides

    > Not with decent shoes.

    Yeah.. I reckon that's a myth propogated by the latte-set. ;)

    Both of my shoes hurt my feet just as much and it has
    nothing to do with cleat size. Moreso the sides of my
    feet, when I've over-tightened the straps.

    hippy

  17. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    I've read a few posts where people said that they broke the Look pedals quite easily. They implied that they were somewhat flimsy. From the other posts I've read here, it sounds like that's not the case.

  18. toa

    toa New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2004
    The SPD-SL's are fantastic, way better than normal SPD's and better than what I've tried of LOOK's models.
    As my new high-end pedal I might be tempted to give LOOK's KEO a spin to replace my SDP-SL dura-ace, just to shave a few grams of my racing-setup :D

  19. I went from look's to time impact about a year and a half ago.

    The looks were fine, but the cleats were not. They never lasted long at all.

    Even though the Time cleats cost twice as much, I reckon its a better deal
    in the long run. Cant comment on how long the pedal itself will last though,
    but its still going strong.

    Paul