Which pump for sus. fork?

Mule

Guest
I was wondering whether anyone out there has experience pumping 2003 Marzocchi MX Comp (AIR) forks?

Should I buy the "Marzocchi pump" (lo-pressure)? I've read a few threads in forums saying that I can
use any Schraeder pump but I'm not convinced yet. I already have a Schraeder valved pump but the
business-end is too fat to fit inside the top of the fork where the valves are located - so I'd need
to get a new pump.

Obviously the Marzocchi pumps are quite expensive £30 and it'd be a lot nicer if I could make do
with a conventional pump with a Schraeder nozzle.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks,

--
...meandering mule...

mule wrote:

> I was wondering whether anyone out there has experience pumping 2003 Marzocchi MX Comp
> (AIR) forks?

Not specifically that fork, but...

> Should I buy the "Marzocchi pump" (lo-pressure)? I've read a few threads in forums saying that I
> can use any Schraeder pump but I'm not convinced yet.

I always look for a shock pump with 2 facilities:
1. A pressure guage.
2. A valve mechanism which allows you to close the valve before you disconnect the pump,
otherwise you don't have a clue how much pressure you left in the shock when you ripped the
pump off the valve.

You just plain won't get number 2 from a conventional (i.e. tyre) pump.

> I already have a Schraeder valved pump but the business-end is too fat to fit inside the top of
> the fork where the valves are located - so I'd need to get a new pump.

B*gg*r.

> Obviously the Marzocchi pumps are quite expensive £30 and it'd be a lot nicer if I could make do
> with a conventional pump with a Schraeder nozzle.

If by conventional, you mean tyre pump, see my comments above, unless you don't really care about
being able to pump your shock back up to the pressure you decided on as being the best in a
repeatable sort of way.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

> I always look for a shock pump with 2 facilities:
> 1. A pressure guage.
> 2. A valve mechanism which allows you to close the valve before you disconnect the pump, otherwise
> you don't have a clue how much pressure you left in the shock when you ripped the pump off the
> valve.

1. - Very useful.
2. - That makes a lot of sense.

> You just plain won't get number 2 from a conventional (i.e. tyre) pump.

It sounds like I do need a fork pump then.

I'll see if Halfords might have any pumps with gauges and nozzles with a valve closure mechanism -
but might end up with the Marzocchi then after all.

Thanks,

--
...meandering mule...

> It sounds like I do need a fork pump then.
>
> I'll see if Halfords might have any pumps with gauges and nozzles with a valve closure mechanism -
> but might end up with the Marzocchi then after all.

If you have a rear shock on your bike that exceeds 100 psi you may want to reconsider on the
Marzocchi pump, since the gauge won't be useful for most rear shocks. Many other front forks
exceed 100 psi, so if you get a new bike your low pressure pump might become less useful to you.
Just a thought.

-John Morgan

> If you have a rear shock on your bike that exceeds 100 psi you may want to reconsider on the
> Marzocchi pump, since the gauge won't be useful for most rear shocks. Many other front forks
> exceed 100 psi, so if you get a new bike your low pressure pump might become less useful to you.
> Just a thought.

Hi John,

Thanks for that too. I don't intend to get a bike with rear-shock at anytime soon, but I didn't know
that front forks could exceed 100psi, so I'll bear that in mind when I'm shopping.

Thanks for the info.

--
...meandering mule...

I just bought a Buzzy pollinator yesterday from my LBS it's what they use in the shop. http://www.b-
eyondbikes.com/bb/Itemmatrix.asp?CartId={8C245D65-7BE4-4CDF-8AD3-5A63A338F814}&IC=AC%2DPUM%2Dpu9000-
&Tp= I got the one with the 100psi gauge but the pump will do 300psi so if I need to I can change
the gauge in the future if I change forks. It works fine on my MX comp pro

Danny

"mule" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was wondering whether anyone out there has experience pumping 2003 Marzocchi MX Comp
> (AIR) forks?
>
> Should I buy the "Marzocchi pump" (lo-pressure)? I've read a few threads
in
> forums saying that I can use any Schraeder pump but I'm not convinced yet. I already have a
> Schraeder valved pump but the business-end is too fat to fit inside the top of the fork where the
> valves are located - so I'd need to get a new pump.
>
> Obviously the Marzocchi pumps are quite expensive £30 and it'd be a lot nicer if I could make do
> with a conventional pump with a Schraeder nozzle.
>
> Any advice appreciated. Thanks,
>
> --
> ...meandering mule...

Good advice so far. You do want a pressure guage and release valve. Progressive suspension pumps work well and are designed for very high pressures. Don't be shy to spend a little money on the pump. If you want the proper performance out of your fork you really want to have the proper pressure. Keep the rubber side down.

K.

Hi All,

Thanks for the information and advice. It's been a long day. I got a foot pump from Halfords (which
I thought would work with the fork - but didn't). Again the nozzle was a bit too big to fit, plus
the "adaptors" that came with it were of no use.

After hunting around a few LBSs (and not so LBSs) I ended up getting a Marzocchi pump. Other shock
pumps seemed to cost as much as (if not more than) the Marzocchi, plus it seemed fairly well
constructed.

Now I've inflated the forks but I seem to have a problem...

I've followed Marzocchi's recommendations regarding pressure and rider mass:

155 ~ 180 lbs: 35 ~ 45 psi 180 ~ 200 lbs: 42 ~ 52 psi

I weigh approximately 185 lbs so I first tried 45 psi (in each stanchion), but the fork was too
rigid. Then I tried 35 psi but it's still too rigid.

Am I doing something wrong? The marzocchi manual took a while to figure out. It seems to cover all
models and it's a bit confusing.

I'm assuming it can't be 35 ~ 45 psi "combined" pressure?

I think I've read somewhere that they need "breaking in" but what do I need to do and how long for?
I've actually got a ride planned for tomorrow so hope I make it!

Again any help greatly appreciated.

--
...meandering mule...

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<4GY1b.17643$cj1.3052@fed1read06>...
> > It sounds like I do need a fork pump then.
> >
> > I'll see if Halfords might have any pumps with gauges and nozzles with a valve closure mechanism
> > - but might end up with the Marzocchi then after all.
>
> If you have a rear shock on your bike that exceeds 100 psi you may want to reconsider on the
> Marzocchi pump, since the gauge won't be useful for most rear shocks. Many other front forks
> exceed 100 psi, so if you get a new bike your low pressure pump might become less useful to you.
> Just a thought.

I don't know which Marzocchi pump you are talking about, but the one I have has a gauge that goes up
to 200 psi.

JD

mule said...

> I weigh approximately 185 lbs so I first tried 45 psi (in each stanchion), but the fork was too
> rigid. Then I tried 35 psi but it's still too rigid.

It's hard to know what you mean by too rigid. I hope those recommendations came from the manual for
your particular fork, but regardless of where you got them, they are almost useless. The correct way
to adjust the air pressure is to determine how much your forks sag when you sit on the bike in
riding position. It is hard to do by yourself so sit on your bike just like you were riding it, but
prop yourself up with a knee or elbow against a wall while a friend makes a small mark with a pencil
on the stanchion right where it goes into the seal. Get off the bike and if the mark survived,
measure the distance between the seal and the mark. It should be 1/4 - 1/3 the travel of your fork.
Add or let out air as needed.

> I'm assuming it can't be 35 ~ 45 psi "combined" pressure?

You assume correctly.

> I think I've read somewhere that they need "breaking in" but what do I need to do and how long
> for? I've actually got a ride planned for tomorrow so hope I make it!

Yes there is a break-in period. A new air shock may have a considerable amount of 'stiction'.

"mule" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for the information and advice. It's been a long day. I got a foot pump from Halfords
> (which I thought would work with the fork - but didn't). Again the nozzle was a bit too big to
> fit, plus the "adaptors" that came with it were of no use.
>
> After hunting around a few LBSs (and not so LBSs) I ended up getting a Marzocchi pump. Other shock
> pumps seemed to cost as much as (if not more than) the Marzocchi, plus it seemed fairly well
> constructed.
>
> Now I've inflated the forks but I seem to have a problem...
>
> I've followed Marzocchi's recommendations regarding pressure and rider mass:
>
> 155 ~ 180 lbs: 35 ~ 45 psi 180 ~ 200 lbs: 42 ~ 52 psi
>
> I weigh approximately 185 lbs so I first tried 45 psi (in each stanchion), but the fork was too
> rigid. Then I tried 35 psi but it's still too rigid.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? The marzocchi manual took a while to figure out. It seems to cover all
> models and it's a bit confusing.
>
> I'm assuming it can't be 35 ~ 45 psi "combined" pressure?
>
> I think I've read somewhere that they need "breaking in" but what do I need to do and how long
> for? I've actually got a ride planned for tomorrow so hope I make it!
>
> Again any help greatly appreciated.

Does the fork have a "negative" spring? If so, it needs to be inflated to sort of dampen the shock
(will be much easier to compress than with no air in neg. chamber). Otherwise just keep reducing the
air pressure until the sag (and FEEL) are right.

Bill "don't need no steenkin' gauges" S.

ireman_1 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Good advice so far. You do want a pressure guage and release valve. Progressive suspension pumps
> work well and are designed for very high pressures. Don't be shy to spend a little money on the
> pump. If you want the proper performance out of your fork you really want to have the proper
> pressure. Keep the rubber side down.
>
> K.

But the Marzocchi is a low pressure fork - a small change in pressure will make a large change in
how the fork behaves, compared to a fork that runs higher pressures. A pump that has a gauge
graduated in small pressure increments is desirable for this fork AFAIAA.

Shaun aRe