Which Quick disconnect Masterlink?

Trailgalore

Guest
I've a 9 speed Shimano chain. Would like to install a quick disconnect Masterlink. Are there
brand types for this chain, or must I change the whole chain, if so what type brand and model
would be best?

In news:eek:[email protected],
Trailgalore <[email protected]> typed:
> I've a 9 speed Shimano chain. Would like to install a quick disconnect Masterlink. Are there
> brand types for this chain, or must I change the whole chain, if so what type brand and model
> would be best?

SRAM Powerlink Gold for 9 speed. Not recommended by either manufacturer in that application
but it works.

Mike

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In news:eek:[email protected], Trailgalore
> <[email protected]> typed:
> > I've a 9 speed Shimano chain. Would like to install a quick disconnect Masterlink. Are there
> > brand types for this chain, or must I change the whole chain, if so what type brand and model
> > would be best?
>
> SRAM Powerlink Gold for 9 speed. Not recommended by either manufacturer
in
> that application but it works.
>
> Mike

I'll repeat the recommendation for the SRAM Powerlink Gold. I use it on all our family's bikes,
with 1000's of miles of use and ZERO problems. It makes it very easy to remove chain for cleaning
and repairs.

Trailgalore wrote:

> I've a 9 speed Shimano chain. Would like to install a quick disconnect Masterlink. Are there
> brand types for this chain, or must I change the whole chain, if so what type brand and model
> would be best?

I saw an SMC in a local shop the other day for $2.50. If it fits, I'll probably buy one tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it goes...

Other than that, the SRAM Powerlink ones seem to work fine.

Matt O.

trialgalore-<< I've a 9 speed Shimano chain. Would like to install a quick disconnect Masterlink.
Are there brand types for this chain, or must I change the whole chain, if so what type brand and
model would be best? >><BR><BR>

Sram gold one for 9s chains.

> SRAM Powerlink Gold for 9 speed. Not recommended by either manufacturer
in
> that application but it works.

Also works perfectly with Campy 10 speed chains.

> In news:eek:[email protected], Trailgalore
> <[email protected]> typed:
> > I've a 9 speed Shimano chain. Would like to install a quick disconnect Masterlink. Are there
> > brand types for this chain, or must I change the whole chain, if so what type brand and model
> > would be best?
>
> SRAM Powerlink Gold for 9 speed. Not recommended by either manufacturer
in
> that application but it works.
>
> Mike

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:11:16 GMT, "Trailgalore" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I've a 9 speed Shimano chain. Would like to install a quick disconnect Masterlink. Are there
>brand types for this chain, or must I change the whole chain, if so what type brand and model
>would be best?

On my Shimano 9-speed I use a Forster (nee Craig) Super Link, Model
II. The Model I is for 7/8 speed chains, and the Model III is for 10 speed. I've been using these
links for years and they've proven to be absolutely reliable. They're also easier to disconnect
than SRAM links.