which recumbent for back and neck injured riders...continued

Marjiesue

Guest
Hello again.

I just read through Yelps questions, similar to mine, and the replies
he received. I want to add a question to my original posting...

....would a recumbent trike be a good choice?

I have some dexterity problems stemming from the TBI (Traumatic Brain
Injury) received in the same accident that left me with herniated
discs. Hubby and I have wondered if the recumbent trike might be a
good choice.

I will be riding on the streets of our housing development at first,
and on a paved bike path through a park that adjoins our property.
Later, after my comfort level increases, I'll take to the paved roads
around our part of the city.

I'll also say that I am 5'5", ballooned up to 201 pounds, but am on my
way back down to an expected 135-140 lbs.

Again, thank you in advance for your replies.

Respectfully,
Marjiesue

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on 20 May 2006 22:54:50 -0700
Marjiesue <[email protected]> wrote:

> I will be riding on the streets of our housing development at first,
> and on a paved bike path through a park that adjoins our property.
> Later, after my comfort level increases, I'll take to the paved roads
> around our part of the city.

I think you might well find a trike a good thing.

YOu will find it a bit of a problem in heavy traffic, but the trike
riders I know say light traffic is OK because the drivers have time to
see you rather than concentrating on just cars.

A trike is more forgiving on balance issues and at slow speeds I
think.

Zebee

Marjiesue wrote:
> Hello again.
>
> I just read through Yelps questions, similar to mine, and the replies
> he received. I want to add a question to my original posting...
>
> ...would a recumbent trike be a good choice?
>
> I have some dexterity problems stemming from the TBI (Traumatic Brain
> Injury) received in the same accident that left me with herniated
> discs. Hubby and I have wondered if the recumbent trike might be a
> good choice.
>
> I will be riding on the streets of our housing development at first,
> and on a paved bike path through a park that adjoins our property.
> Later, after my comfort level increases, I'll take to the paved roads
> around our part of the city.
>
> I'll also say that I am 5'5", ballooned up to 201 pounds, but am on my
> way back down to an expected 135-140 lbs.
>
> Again, thank you in advance for your replies.
>
> Respectfully,
> Marjiesue

You need to TEST RIDE bikes, for at least a couple hours each before
deciding. THat'snot always easy to do but you really need to get to
shops that will let you do it.

Normally a recumbent is far better for comfort than an upright, but if
you have extensive injuries then that is a totally-wild card. A bike
that is just fine for any average person might be nearly as bad as an
upright to you.
~~~~~