Which replacement chain to buy? - Dawes Discovery 201

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by James, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Hi, could anyone please advise me on the type of chain I can buy to replace the one on my Dawes
    Discovery 201? According to the bike description, the current (broken) chain is a KMC Z51 Silver. Do
    I need to buy a specific type / size chain for this bike?

    Thanks in advance.

    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    james wrote:
    > Hi, could anyone please advise me on the type of chain I can buy to replace the one on my Dawes
    > Discovery 201? According to the bike description, the current (broken) chain is a KMC Z51 Silver.
    > Do I need to buy a specific type / size chain for this bike?

    Any chain described as 7 or 8-speed will work with your bike.

    SRAM (formerlly Sachs/Sedis) make decent chains at reasonable prices (though more expensive than
    KMC's cheapest). You could use PC41, PC48, PC58, etc.

    Be warned that a new chain may skip on worn sprockets - so rear sprockets (and even chainrings in
    rare cases) may need to be replaced as well. They'll be a very high chance of this if done thousands
    of miles on the same chain.

    Only worn out chains need replacing, though. Broken chains can be fixed - by fixing, replacing or
    removing bad links. Chances are that the chain is longer than necessary. One link less won't do any
    harm if so. More info (including on chain length: see largest cog + largest ring method):
    www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#chain

    ~PB

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:02:19 -0000, "james" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, could anyone please advise me on the type of chain I can buy to replace the one on my Dawes
    >Discovery 201?

    SRAM. Your LBS will have a Several of flavours, of which the PC58 is probably the one for you (but
    there are lower grades). Are you sure the chain is doomed? And not the sprockets?

    AASHTA: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  4. james wrote:

    > Hi, could anyone please advise me on the type of chain I can buy to replace the one on my Dawes
    > Discovery 201? According to the bike description, the current (broken) chain is a KMC Z51 Silver.
    > Do I need to buy a specific type / size chain for this bike?

    Tell the bike shop how many sprockets you have at the back.

    FWIW, I could never get a Sachs 9-speed chain to work smoothly on my racing bike, and had to buy the
    hugely expensive Dura-Ace version.

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > AASHTA

    Bless you.

    ~PB

  6. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "james" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, could anyone please advise me on the type of chain I can buy to
    replace
    > the one on my Dawes Discovery 201? According to the bike description, the current (broken) chain
    > is a KMC Z51 Silver. Do I need to buy a specific type / size chain for this bike?

    Cheap bike, buy a cheap chain !

    Graham

    > Thanks in advance.

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

  7. KMC chains are the Work of Stan. I should not use one even to Tie up a Dog.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/