which ride was better?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by no spam for me, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a couple
    of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
    simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
    of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
    know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind of
    standard or index for comparisons?

    Tags:

  2. Guest

    "no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a
    > couple
    > of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
    > simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
    > of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
    > know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind
    > of
    > standard or index for comparisons?

    I think that you're thinking too hard.
    I have a simple three word formula that covers most situations.

    Bad/slow/long ride
    Bad/medium/long ride
    Bad/fast/long ride
    Good/slow/long ride
    Good/medium/long ride
    Good/fast/long ride
    getting the idea now?
    Awesome/fast/short ride

    --
    Westie

  3. small change

    small change Guest

    lsk wrote:
    > "no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a
    >> couple
    >> of different routes and some days are better then others time wise
    >> via the simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to
    >> compare rides of different distances that may be on easier or
    >> harder routes? Anybody know of a good method or mathematic
    >> computation to come up with some kind of
    >> standard or index for comparisons?
    >>

    > I think that you're thinking too hard.
    > I have a simple three word formula that covers most situations.
    >
    > Bad/slow/long ride
    > Bad/medium/long ride
    > Bad/fast/long ride
    > Good/slow/long ride
    > Good/medium/long ride
    > Good/fast/long ride
    > ..
    > getting the idea now?
    > Awesome/fast/short ride

    you forgot the fun factor.

    penny

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    no spam for me wrote:
    > Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a
    > couple of different routes and some days are better then others time
    > wise via the simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good
    > way to compare rides of different distances that may be on easier or
    > harder routes? Anybody know of a good method or mathematic
    > computation to come up with some kind of standard or index for
    > comparisons?

    "Sex is pretty good. Even when it's bad, it's pretty good."

    Same can be applied to mountain bike rides.

    Mike

  5. no spam for me wrote:
    > Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a couple
    > of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
    > simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
    > of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
    > know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind of
    > standard or index for comparisons?

    Why do you want to compare rides based upon some
    "mathematic computation"?

    Great rides can cover 10 miles in 5 hours or 28
    miles in 7 hours.

    It's like you're trying to assign some
    "mathematical computation" to a good wine.

  6. gabrielle

    gabrielle Guest

    no spam for me asked:
    >which ride was better?

    Whichever ride had better food. :)

    gabrielle

  7. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    no spam for me wrote:
    > Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a couple
    > of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
    > simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
    > of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
    > know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind of
    > standard or index for comparisons?

    No

  8. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    no spam for me wrote:
    > Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a
    > couple of different routes and some days are better then others time
    > wise via the simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good
    > way to compare rides of different distances that may be on easier or
    > harder routes? Anybody know of a good method or mathematic
    > computation to come up with some kind of standard or index for
    > comparisons?

    www.shiteatinggrinometer.com

  9. Coyoteboy

    Coyoteboy Guest

    no spam for me wrote:
    > Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a couple
    > of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
    > simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
    > of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
    > know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind of
    > standard or index for comparisons?

    I find whichever i do in response to an MV post is always the better
    one.

  10. MattB

    MattB Guest

    no spam for me wrote:
    > Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a couple
    > of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
    > simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
    > of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
    > know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind of
    > standard or index for comparisons?

    The MEF (Matt's Enjoyment Factor). It's has little to do directly with
    speed, but more enjoyment. Of course difficulty and speed and two of
    many components that make up the enjoyment score.

    For example, 401 gets an 8 most days, but if it's crowded it may only be
    a 6.5. On good days the Crest is a 9 and Canyon Creek is a 9.5 (for the
    extra effort - hurts so good!). Hartman's varies a lot depending on
    conditions, how crowded it might be, and if the cows are there, ranging
    from a 3 all the way up to 8.5.

    The MEF is also not only limited to cycling, but also skiing and other
    activities as applicable. I'll try and include the MEF rating on future
    ride reports. It can also be licensed for other ride reports. Contact me
    for pricing information and application guidelines.

    Matt

  11. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > no spam for me wrote:
    > > Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a

    couple
    > > of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via

    the
    > > simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare

    rides
    > > of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
    > > know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some

    kind of
    > > standard or index for comparisons?
    > >

    > The MEF (Matt's Enjoyment Factor). It's has little to do directly with
    > speed, but more enjoyment. Of course difficulty and speed and two of
    > many components that make up the enjoyment score.

    MEF has a nice ring to it.

    Greg

  12. MattB

    MattB Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>no spam for me wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a

    > couple
    >
    >>>of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via

    > the
    >
    >>>simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare

    > rides
    >
    >>>of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
    >>>know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some

    > kind of
    >
    >>>standard or index for comparisons?
    >>>

    >>The MEF (Matt's Enjoyment Factor). It's has little to do directly with
    >>speed, but more enjoyment. Of course difficulty and speed and two of
    >>many components that make up the enjoyment score.
    >>

    > MEF has a nice ring to it.
    >
    > Greg

    Sunday's ride was a good solid MEF 8! Yeah!

    It was a 35 Mile loop from the house connecting previously unconnected
    trails with lots of buttery smooth singletrack. I saw four other riders
    in four hours, and two were just tourons on the road.
    Saw a bunch of antelope too!
    <http://mattb.net/images/galleries/2005-08-14%20(Misc%20family)/DSC01739.JPG>

    Matt (Oh give me a home...)

  13. jack

    jack Guest

    "no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a

    couple
    > of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
    > simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
    > of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
    > know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind

    of
    > standard or index for comparisons?

    Back to the car Index.

    Good ride when you don't want to go back to the car.

    Bad ride when you want to go back to the car.

  14. MattB

    MattB Guest

    jack wrote:
    > "no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a

    > couple
    >
    >>of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
    >>simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
    >>of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
    >>know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind

    > of
    >
    >>standard or index for comparisons?
    >>

    > Back to the car Index.
    >
    > Good ride when you don't want to go back to the car.
    >
    > Bad ride when you want to go back to the car.

    Better ride when there was no car necessary (worth an extra MEF point).

  15. MattB

    MattB Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per "no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]>:
    >
    >>Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a couple
    >>of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
    >>simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
    >>of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
    >>know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind of
    >>standard or index for comparisons?

    > I've always liked the idea of implanting a little electrode in the pleasure
    > center of one's brain and recording the output. Would be a great device for
    > judging things like surfing contests...

    Some old hippie on a long board would win every time.

    Matt

  17. MattB wrote:

    > Some old hippie on a long board would win every time.

    Let's leave JD out of this, shall we?

    CC

  18. JD

    JD Guest

    Corvus Corvax wrote:
    > MattB wrote:
    > >
    > > Some old hippie on a long board would win every time.

    > Let's leave JD out of this, shall we?
    >
    > CC

    "I resemble that remark!" - Curly

    JD

  19. Marty

    Marty Guest

    > Corvus Corvax wrote:
    >> MattB wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Some old hippie on a long board would win every time.

    >> Let's leave JD out of this, shall we?
    >>
    >> CC

    > "I resemble that remark!" - Curly
    >
    > JD

    HA! I think I fall into the "old habits" category (and that's not a church
    comment!).
    I get my haircut and the barber's mission is this.... "#2 on the side and #4
    on top!"

    Marty