which ride was better?

no spam for me

Guest
Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a couple
of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind of
standard or index for comparisons?

"no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]> wrote in message
> Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a
> couple
> of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
> simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
> of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
> know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind
> of
> standard or index for comparisons?

I think that you're thinking too hard.
I have a simple three word formula that covers most situations.

Bad/slow/long ride
Bad/medium/long ride
Bad/fast/long ride
Good/slow/long ride
Good/medium/long ride
Good/fast/long ride
getting the idea now?
Awesome/fast/short ride

--
Westie

lsk wrote:
> "no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]> wrote in message
>> Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a
>> couple
>> of different routes and some days are better then others time wise
>> via the simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to
>> compare rides of different distances that may be on easier or
>> harder routes? Anybody know of a good method or mathematic
>> computation to come up with some kind of
>> standard or index for comparisons?
>>

> I think that you're thinking too hard.
> I have a simple three word formula that covers most situations.
>
> Bad/slow/long ride
> Bad/medium/long ride
> Bad/fast/long ride
> Good/slow/long ride
> Good/medium/long ride
> Good/fast/long ride
> ..
> getting the idea now?
> Awesome/fast/short ride

you forgot the fun factor.

penny

no spam for me wrote:
> Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a
> couple of different routes and some days are better then others time
> wise via the simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good
> way to compare rides of different distances that may be on easier or
> harder routes? Anybody know of a good method or mathematic
> computation to come up with some kind of standard or index for
> comparisons?

"Sex is pretty good. Even when it's bad, it's pretty good."

Same can be applied to mountain bike rides.

Mike

no spam for me wrote:
> Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a couple
> of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
> simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
> of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
> know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind of
> standard or index for comparisons?

Why do you want to compare rides based upon some
"mathematic computation"?

Great rides can cover 10 miles in 5 hours or 28
miles in 7 hours.

It's like you're trying to assign some
"mathematical computation" to a good wine.

no spam for me asked:
>which ride was better?

Whichever ride had better food. :)

gabrielle

www.shiteatinggrinometer.com

no spam for me wrote:
> Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a couple
> of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
> simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
> of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
> know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind of
> standard or index for comparisons?

I find whichever i do in response to an MV post is always the better
one.

no spam for me wrote:
> Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a couple
> of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
> simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
> of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
> know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind of
> standard or index for comparisons?

The MEF (Matt's Enjoyment Factor). It's has little to do directly with
speed, but more enjoyment. Of course difficulty and speed and two of
many components that make up the enjoyment score.

For example, 401 gets an 8 most days, but if it's crowded it may only be
a 6.5. On good days the Crest is a 9 and Canyon Creek is a 9.5 (for the
extra effort - hurts so good!). Hartman's varies a lot depending on
conditions, how crowded it might be, and if the cows are there, ranging
from a 3 all the way up to 8.5.

The MEF is also not only limited to cycling, but also skiing and other
activities as applicable. I'll try and include the MEF rating on future
ride reports. It can also be licensed for other ride reports. Contact me
for pricing information and application guidelines.

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> no spam for me wrote:
> > Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a

couple
> > of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via

the
> > simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare

rides
> > of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
> > know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some

kind of
> > standard or index for comparisons?
> >

> The MEF (Matt's Enjoyment Factor). It's has little to do directly with
> speed, but more enjoyment. Of course difficulty and speed and two of
> many components that make up the enjoyment score.

MEF has a nice ring to it.

Greg

G.T. wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>no spam for me wrote:
>>
>>>Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a

> couple
>
>>>of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via

> the
>
>>>simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare

> rides
>
>>>of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
>>>know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some

> kind of
>
>>>standard or index for comparisons?
>>>

>>The MEF (Matt's Enjoyment Factor). It's has little to do directly with
>>speed, but more enjoyment. Of course difficulty and speed and two of
>>many components that make up the enjoyment score.
>>

> MEF has a nice ring to it.
>
> Greg

Sunday's ride was a good solid MEF 8! Yeah!

It was a 35 Mile loop from the house connecting previously unconnected
trails with lots of buttery smooth singletrack. I saw four other riders
in four hours, and two were just tourons on the road.
Saw a bunch of antelope too!
<http://mattb.net/images/galleries/2005-08-14%20(Misc%20family)/DSC01739.JPG>

Matt (Oh give me a home...)

"no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]> wrote in message
> Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a

couple
> of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
> simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
> of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
> know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind

of
> standard or index for comparisons?

Back to the car Index.

Good ride when you don't want to go back to the car.

Bad ride when you want to go back to the car.

jack wrote:
> "no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a

> couple
>
>>of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
>>simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
>>of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
>>know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind

> of
>
>>standard or index for comparisons?
>>

> Back to the car Index.
>
> Good ride when you don't want to go back to the car.
>
> Bad ride when you want to go back to the car.

Better ride when there was no car necessary (worth an extra MEF point).

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per "no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]>:
>
>>Anybody know of a good measurement or index to compare rides? I do a couple
>>of different routes and some days are better then others time wise via the
>>simple "Average Speed" measurements but what's a good way to compare rides
>>of different distances that may be on easier or harder routes? Anybody
>>know of a good method or mathematic computation to come up with some kind of
>>standard or index for comparisons?

> I've always liked the idea of implanting a little electrode in the pleasure
> center of one's brain and recording the output. Would be a great device for
> judging things like surfing contests...

Some old hippie on a long board would win every time.

Matt

MattB wrote:

> Some old hippie on a long board would win every time.

Let's leave JD out of this, shall we?

CC

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> MattB wrote:
> >
> > Some old hippie on a long board would win every time.

> Let's leave JD out of this, shall we?
>
> CC

"I resemble that remark!" - Curly

JD

> Corvus Corvax wrote:
>> MattB wrote:
>> >
>> > Some old hippie on a long board would win every time.

>> Let's leave JD out of this, shall we?
>>
>> CC

> "I resemble that remark!" - Curly
>
> JD

HA! I think I fall into the "old habits" category (and that's not a church
comment!).
I get my haircut and the barber's mission is this.... "#2 on the side and #4
on top!"

Marty