Which rider do you admire most and why?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by limerickman, Mar 3, 2006.

1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I don't know if this question has been posed before but…..

Which cyclist do you admire the most and why?
    The person can be your favourite cyclist, from any era.

I admire all professional cyclists - their ability, dedication, sacrifice and their sheer bloody-mindedness.

I have thought long an hard about this :

I brought it down to five names : Sean Kelly, Miguel Indurain, Michele Bartoli, Eddy Merckx and Laurent Jalabert.

With great reluctance, I had to omit the likes of Peter Van Petegem, Jan Ullrich, Bernard Hinault, Greg LeMond, Paolo Bettini, Phillippe Thys.

Here's why I admire my 5 selected riders :

Sean Kelly : he's Irish, he raced all season, he won practically everything and he was as tough as nails.

Miguel Indurain : he was a superb cyclist, he dominated the TDF in an era when his opponents were good enough to seriously challenge him, he is modest about his achievements.

Michele Bartoli : he's a classy smooth looking rider, he dominated the classics, he was pretty modest too.

Eddy Merckx : he raced all season, he won everything and he was as tough as nails and he took his (rare) beatings well (most of the time).

Laurent Jalabert : beautiful pedalling action, a man who raced all season, a man who transformed himself from sprinter to GT contender, he's a nice bloke.

Tags:

2. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Ekimov - because he just keeps on going and going and doesn't use age as an excuse. I have a tape of the Tour de Trump (yes Donald Trump - does anyone else remember that race?) that shows Eki winning a stage or two- sprint finishes as a member of the Russian National Team. That was a race contested by 7-Eleven, Greg Lemond, Rishi Grewal, Eric Vanderaerden, Gert-Jan Theunisse - names from HISTORY and Eki's still competitive.

3. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

On that note, Ned Overend. Who whouldn't want to celebrate their 50th birthday by putting up a sub-hour finish on Mt. Washington?

4. Eden

Eden New Member

Jens Voigt is one of my favorites- he may not be one of the rock-star riders, but he seems to be able to balance really agressive riding with still being a truely nice guy. He will ride his guts out without thinking about himself to support the team and he has an absolutely wonderful smile. I'm a complete sucker for smile that really lights up a room.

5. Twiz

Twiz New Member

Maybe I'll get lambasted by this, but Lance Armstrong has done really well IMO in recent years.

However my favourite is Eddie Merkz(sp), I've never seen a better rider.

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Interesting replies!

7. allanw

allanw New Member

Magnus Backstedt & Thor Hushovd!!!

Anyone >190lbs that can hold thier own in classics and sprints in major tours is my guy...

- Allan (220lbs @ 10%bf)

8. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Your choices are good ones. I don't know that we will see riders like that again. My #2 and #3 riders would be Merckx and Kelly and I would have to throw in at #4 Greg LeMond, I feel he possessed the same mentality and physical ability as Sean and Eddy but exclude the setback of the hunting accident and the hijinks with Hinault, I think he would have had few more GT and Classics under his belt.

Since you use the term "admire" in your query, my number 1 pick would have to be Bob Breedlove. An American cyclist most noted for his participation in RAAM and the Transcontinental (although he participated in many ultracycling events in Europe). He was not well known by many cycling enthusiast in Europe and the US , but he was certainly known by sport writers and competitive cyclists on both sides of the pond.

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200506/bob-breedlove.html

Lw

9. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I thought he got accidentally shot when he was out hunting or something?

10. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Thank you Steve, I must have been thinking of Jeff Kent:D . It's difficult to think for me on Friday's and to try and write the simplest things while someone is standing over you in your cube.

By the way, the server is performing well today. Thanks,

11. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

There's no problem mentioning people who are non-professionals.

As it happens, there a couple of guys here who do a lot audax/touring events on a tandem.
    One guy is completely blind, the other guy is his guide.
    I've seen these guys start and complete several endurance events (200kms plus perday).
    They're great cyclists.
    They overcome the limitations of a tandem
    and the obvious disability of one of them being blind.
    They have my utmost admiration.

12. Eden

Eden New Member

I know what you mean - the first organized century (actually it was 200 miles in 2 days) that I did was with a group of disabled guys from the hospital that I worked at (I was there to photograph them). There is nothing like riding next to a quadrapeligic who at mile 99 is still having the time of his life to make a person realize that they have nothing to complain about.

13. mloywhite

mloywhite New Member

Considering today's riders only, I really like Floyd Landis. He is very driven, and has overcome some really interesting history, including his upbringing and surviving Postal/Discovery. Floyd is an original, he just says what he thinks, rides. I was really happy for him in the TOC.

14. Catabolic_Jones

Catabolic_Jones New Member

I like riders who keep what they do in perspective, who appear not to be monomaniacal about their cycling passion.

I was really impressed by Saul Raisin's recent interview on CN. He seems to have his profession in perspective.

Same goes for Basso, who seems to put family before cycling -- at least he does in interviews.

Aside from this priority I have for balanced individuals, I tend to pull for riders who are all-rounders. As such, I like guys like Vino, Bettini, Voigt -- attacking riders who can win solo, climb and sprint if they have to.

15. TommyGunn

TommyGunn New Member

Vinokourov: Absolute Nutter. Always attcking. Always surging. Never predictable. Can climb, sprint and TT.

Cipollini: In his day (remeber the saeco lead out train?!) he was damn fast. Really, Really fast. Sure he should of retired after he won the Worlds, but c'mon...its all about the skinsuits...

16. badhat

badhat New Member

levi

perpetual contender, strong rider, self depricating sense of humor, specialized rider, animal rights advocate.

17. moviekindoflife

moviekindoflife New Member

i have to agree with CJ.

Vino and Bettini are my favorite riders to watch because they are always stirring things up. I have to rank floyd landis as one of my favorites cuz he went to my highschool, though i was like 10 when he graduated. After seeing the Giro 2005, i have to say Basso for sticking with it and not quitting when he was clearly suffering.

18. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

Sorry I can't pick just one, so here goes.

Greg LeMond....the first Anerican to win the TdF was reason enough for me.

Eddy Merckx....Just won EVERYTHING!!!

Mario Cippollini....Great rider, and always entertained his fans

Miguel Indurain.....Dominant rider amd always had class and grace (so lacking in sports today)

Of the current riders (in no particular order):

Lance Armstrong....I am not a HUGE fan of his, but I do have to admire his courage.

Tom Boonen....May be the strongest rider out there and seems to give his fans everything he has

George Hincapie....Just a nice guy

Jan Ullrich....I just want to see him win ONE MORE TdF

Robbie McEwen....One helluva tenacious little guy.

Cheers,

Brian

19. netscriber

netscriber New Member

CIPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

After all the intensification and commercialization we need more mavericks like Cipo to keep the sport alive and more of a sport

20. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I've always admired the road men who went to the grand tours with no expectation of an overall win - but wanting to contribute to the team mates chances of winning.

I well remember Museeuw at the 1995 TDF saying "I'm here to work for my team leader Rominger" : brilliant attitude.
    That after a hard classic seasons racing - he was prepared to contribute to the team.
    I expect Bettini has the same attitude these days.