Which rider do you admire most and why?

limerickman said:
I've always admired the road men who went to the grand tours with no expectation of an overall win - but wanting to contribute to the team mates chances of winning.
Then there are the guys racing for teams that have absolutely no shot at the win. Taking off on doomed 100km breaks because if they get enough tv time their sponsors might just spot them bus fare to the next race. Now that's real.

artmichalek said:
Then there are the guys racing for teams that have absolutely no shot at the win. Taking off on doomed 100km breaks because if they get enough tv time their sponsors might just spot them bus fare to the next race. Now that's real.

Indeed - and normally the peloton doesn't chase them down knowing that TV exposure is important to the lesser teams.
This doesn't take away from their effort though.

Eden said:
I know what you mean - the first organized century (actually it was 200 miles in 2 days) that I did was with a group of disabled guys from the hospital that I worked at (I was there to photograph them). There is nothing like riding next to a quadrapeligic who at mile 99 is still having the time of his life to make a person realize that they have nothing to complain about.

Fair play to them - you'd feel humbled at your feeble efforts when you see people overcoming great difficulties like the ones you refer to.

limerickman said:
I've always admired the road men who went to the grand tours with no expectation of an overall win - but wanting to contribute to the team mates chances of winning.

I well remember Museeuw at the 1995 TDF saying "I'm here to work for my team leader Rominger" : brilliant attitude.
That after a hard classic seasons racing - he was prepared to contribute to the team.
I expect Bettini has the same attitude these days.

Yeah I agree. You just have to admire the guys who do this for no personal gain or glory. I suppose these guys are the reason I hear that the GC winner usually splits the spoils with the team.

baj32161 said:
Yeah I agree. You just have to admire the guys who do this for no personal gain or glory. I suppose these guys are the reason I hear that the GC winner usually splits the spoils with the team.

Yeah, Paolo Bettini is another case in point : after a stellar 2004 season in the Classic and stage races - he decided to do the TDF for his team.
He finished 58th overall but his job - as he said himself - was to help his team in the TDF.
He's a real cyclist - not a three week one.

I pity the younger fans because this type of rider was commonplace when I was a youngster in the 1980's.
Guys like Sean kelly, LeMond, Hinault, Anderson, Delgado, Fignon would ride all season no matter what the terrain or event.

limerickman said:
Yeah, Paolo Bettini is another case in point : after a stellar 2004 season in the Classic and stage races - he decided to do the TDF for his team.
He finished 58th overall but his job - as he said himself - was to help his team in the TDF.
He's a real cyclist - not a three week one.

I pity the younger fans because this type of rider was commonplace when I was a youngster in the 1980's.
Guys like Sean kelly, LeMond, Hinault, Anderson, Delgado, Fignon would ride all season no matter what the terrain or event.
I hear ya again. I wasn't exactly a youngster but I was in my early 20s and it were those guys who got me into cycling in the first place.

Cheers,

Brian