Which rider would you like to have a pint with and why ??

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by limerickman, Jan 26, 2004.

1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Had the pleasure of meeting the Gypsy at Sean Kelly's last race -
    at the after session in the Carrick Hotel in Carrick On Suir.
    A very nice bloke.
    Had a pint of Guinness with himself and Hinault !!
    Strangest pint I ever had - a Breton who couldn't (wouldn't !!)
    speak in english (only French !), and De Vlaeminck who couldn't stop talking about how nice a person Sean Kelly is !!!
    It must have been the Guinness !

2. skillerv

skillerv New Member

I would have to say Pantani because despite all the crap people say about him he was still a great rider and id like to find out whats going on in his head

3. Stevedvg

Stevedvg New Member

Are far as pro's are concerned I would go with Jaja mainly because I really liked his aggressive style in the mountains...

But on the more accessible side: There's this really hot blonde girl I cycle with on occasion...:D

4. pineapple

pineapple New Member

Nicole Cooke ;)

5. Stevedvg

Stevedvg New Member

hahahaha! No, not Nicole - But I must say it's amazing how much motivation to get up at 5am can be provided by the prospect of chasing a nice pair of legs...

6. rogerramjet

rogerramjet New Member

Joseba Beloki is the man because I've always wanted to learn to speak Spanish.

7. meehs

meehs New Member

I guess I'd say Mario Cipollini. He could give me some style tips and we'd be sure to be joined by a bevy of gorgeous babes!

8. Kathrin

Kathrin New Member

Tyler -- he is the nicest man in cycling.

George -- I'm female, do I need to give any more reasons:D

Lance -- to see what he is really like

9. Styler

Styler New Member

djamolidine abdoujaparov - would love to see him fit his signature in the little box on the bill...

rolf sorenson - found an old video of the 1996 tour the other day, and saw him on an amazing solo breakaway, which was caught juswt before the line. rather than get dejected, he came back and won the following days stage. impressive character.

jan ullrich - sure he'd be up for a night clubbing...

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

If I would have a pint (or several) and if it was possible, with my selection Philippe Thys : first superstar of cycling - winner of the TDF 1913,14 and 1920.

I'm told he servd in WW1, as well as winning the TDF before and after 1914-1918.
    That's some achievement in my opinion.

11. The Cheetah

The Cheetah New Member

Everybody says Lance... I'm no different. Cipo is in a close second.

12. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

sorry to dig up an old thread,

i have never met Obree but i ocassionally go out with a group that he also goes out with. One day i will get to meet him, apperently he still beats the guys, them on thier road bikes and him on his MTB!! We live only 15 miles apart.

for me, my favourite cyclist of all time is Marco Pantani, dont ask why, i have never met him or even seen him in a race. I just always liked his climbing style and thought he was such a pro. I love Italian cycling and for me he typified the Italian style and flair. I miss him a lot.

13. shetzer

shetzer New Member

Eddy. Not only the greatest cyclist of all time, but he seems like a nice person and from what I've heard, enjoys a good beer on occasion.

14. rmartin

rmartin New Member

It would have to be Sean Kelly - I'd ask him how me managed to test positive after Paris-Brussels in 1984.

15. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Erik Zabel. He's the consummate pro. The guy just loves to ride. He races from Milan San Remo until the Worlds every year, plus he's always in contention for the sprinters jersey on the final day of the Tour and Vuelta. Have you ever heard of him quitting because the mountains are too tough for him? I'm sure a pint with him would make any cyclist want to go out and ride 150 miles the next day.
    :cool:

16. I'd have to say some of the riders I see, pass, or get passed by while I'm on my daily commute. I think we could talk bikes and bicycling on at least close to the same level. Especially if they like doing their own wrench turning, like I do.

The level that the well known pro's are on, I might as well not be in the same pub. I wouldn't know what they were talking about and to them I would probably be boring, or seen as a boor.:)

17. steve_wmn

steve_wmn New Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bob Roll. He seems like the kind of guy that'd enjoy a few pints and would have some stories to tell.

18. ausgirl

ausgirl New Member

Stuie O'Grady - looks like a laugh and one of the best Aussie cyclists ever.

Jaja - i love a great hill climber

Sara Carrigan - to talk about her magic moment in Athens

19. ALAN OBRIEN

ALAN OBRIEN New Member

im amazed no one here has mentioned neil stephens or sean yates, imho, 2 of the best and most professional cyclists ive ever seen.
    i was never as happy to see someone pull on a yellow jersey as i was when sean did it in 94.
    and no one has deserved a stage win in the tour more than neil, the amount of selfless work he did during his long career deserved nothing less. :)

20. Annie Saxon

Annie Saxon New Member

Well there are lot of riders, who I would like to have a talk or fun with, but now I say Tyler Hamilton to have a honest chat about everything, especially this season!