Which rider would you like to have a pint with and why ??

Hi, i'm new to this board. I'v heard of this legendary drinking contest between Merckx and Anquetil. Anybody know if this is true? If so, I'd love to have a drink with these two men..

I think it's telling that nobody's mentioned LeMond...I gotta go with Bobke, he's just so enthusiastic about cycling and has an off the wall sense of humor like I do. Hmmm I'd have to say Sean Kelly too. Just cuz... dude, it's Sean friggin' Kelly!

Well, I'm a bit introverted, with an odd sense of humour, and so I think my best drinking companion might be Zabriskie.

But of the greats, I suppose it would be Merckx.

Gotta be Lance Armstrong. Some may think he's a bit of an arsewipe, but if some f@*ker stuck a camera in my face all the time, I'd be the same. Anyone who can bounce back from the brink of death and then go on to win possibly the toughest race on this wee planet must have alot of good advice on life and general.

Bill.

I think her name is Sally Hibberd. If I'm correct, she used to ride Zinn MTBs back in the early 90s and was one of the top ladies in the UK. She was a beauty. I saw her at a race in Sherwood Forest (at the pines park) and immediately fell in love. :rolleyes:

wheelist said:
I think her name is Sally Hibberd. If I'm correct, she used to ride Zinn MTBs back in the early 90s and was one of the top ladies in the UK. She was a beauty. I saw her at a race in Sherwood Forest (at the pines park) and immediately fell in love. :rolleyes:

FLIPPIN' 'ECK! I'd forgotten about her. Yeah, she was absolutely flippin' gorgeous. I retract my former post, gotta be Sallly!
:)

Bill.

skillerv said:
I would have to say Pantani because despite all the **** people say about him he was still a great rider and id like to find out whats going on in his head

Pantani's head: Pedal. Faster. Pedal. Faster. Where is my butt cream?. Pedal. Faster:D

On one of the bicycle tours that I did a couple years ago, Alexi Greywall (spelling?) was one of the guest speakers. After he was done, I had the privilege of drinking a beer with him. It was one of the funnest things I've ever done. he told stories of why he raged so much on the bike.

If I had to pick a someone, it would be Iban Mayo or Big Mig. The dudes rules Spanish biking.

limerickman said:
As we're on the subject of personalities : here's one for the Forum.

If you were going out for a night on the town - which cyclist would you want to bring along for a bit of 'craic' (translated in to
American/Australian/british : means a person who is good fun, a laugh, a bit of a character).

Who would you select and why would you select them ?

(the criteria here is who, in your opinion, is the most sociable - if you fancy them, you can include them : but I'm thinking more
along the lines of - who you'd have a pint with in the pub !)

Neil Stephens or Sarah Ulmer (swoon....) I bought Subway with Bobby Julich once.... does that count?

fatboy61 said:
Neil Stephens or Sarah Ulmer (swoon....) I bought Subway with Bobby Julich once.... does that count?

I can't tell you how much the dog in your Avatar looks like my dog and he always seem to be in that position right in front of me when I'm mowing the lawn.

Limerickman asks a tuff question in this thread but I would say, Bob Roll or Jan Ullrich. Bob would have a thousand stories to tell and Jan would just be a kick.

LW

Ullrich no doubt...any guy that does X in the offseason has to know how to throw down :D

MSH

Jan Ullrich for sure, I have a lot of questions I'd like to ask him...before the first 3 pints of course.

Sean kelly because well I think it's already been said "it's Sean frickin' Kelly!"

Greg LeMond, he's a little whiney but maaan what a rider he was!

limerickman said:
...If you were going out for a night on the town - which cyclist would you want to bring along for a bit of 'craic' (translated in to
American/Australian/british : means a person who is good fun, a laugh, a bit of a character)...
G'day, Lim. How's it going? After much deliberation:
Who - Anyone (I've even been known to drink with non-cyclists).
Why - I like beer and a bit o' craic. If they're no fun to drink with, we'll keep drinking until they are fun.

Jan Ullrich and George Hincapie....because they are my favorite riders...

Gonna reply to my own thread - I want to add Bobby Julich to my list of people I'd like to have a pint with and Greg LeMond as well.

limerickman said:
Gonna reply to my own thread - I want to add Bobby Julich to my list of people I'd like to have a pint with and Greg LeMond as well.

What interests you about Julich?

velofan said:
What interests you about Julich?

He's an intriguing guy - his third place in 1998 TDF is overlooked by a lot of fans.
OK that years TDF saw multiple bannings but I thought he had a great ride that year and was in contention right up until the final stages of that years race.
For me, he seems to be a genuine rider.

Given the superb season he has had this year as well - I'd love to hear his views about the sport.