Which rider would you like to have a pint with and why ??

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
As we're on the subject of personalities : here's one for the Forum.

If you were going out for a night on the town - which cyclist would you want to bring along for a bit of 'craic' (translated in to
American/Australian/british : means a person who is good fun, a laugh, a bit of a character).

Who would you select and why would you select them ?

(the criteria here is who, in your opinion, is the most sociable - if you fancy them, you can include them : but I'm thinking more
along the lines of - who you'd have a pint with in the pub !)

Originally posted by limerickman

If you were going out for a night on the town - which cyclist would you want to bring along for a bit of 'craic' (translated in to
American/Australian/british : means a person who is good fun, a laugh, a bit of a character).

(the criteria here is who, in your opinion, is the most sociable - if you fancy them, you can include them : but I'm thinking more

As I mentioned elsewhere, David Millar. I'd love to buy him a few pints and hear what he has to say when he's really relaxed. I like his sense of humor and I have a feeling I wouldn't mind his cast-offs too much either.;)

If I had to choose a rider who is riding at the present time, I'd choose Tyler, not because he's just a great cyclist but I admire him for starting his own Foundation, and he's not picked one of the 'IN' causes he's championing young athletes with a passion for cycling and for individuals with MS. This is close to my heart because I have MS.

My retired cyclists would be a hard choice, any one of three. The other Millar, Robert. or either of the 2 Seans, Kelly or Yates.

I've also just been told to put Cipollini, Zabel and Botero, something to do with the eyes!

I think it would have to be Marco Pantani. Reason? I'd like to know what was going through his head whe Lance pulled away from him on that mountain climb two or was it three years ago?

I'd like to have a beer with Lance. We'd probably talk about our kids!

Tim

For a night out down the pub, my selection would include :
Jan Ullrich - the man enjoys life (maybe a bit too much perhaps but there you go).
Sean Kelly - 'cause he's my cycling hero.
Laurent Jalabert - good guy, nice attitude.
BigMig - when you're built big, you want to know how the big man
managed to do it, so BigMig would have to be there.
Jacques Anquetil - well someone has to do the ordering and legend has it that this man knew a thing or two about the finer things in life.

And finally Armstrong - well someon'e got to pick up the tab !
(You didn't think I'd have him there for his rivetting personality ??)

No doubt about it - Tyler. What did you do to keep going? Where did you find that sort of fortitude?

He may not be a pro, but he is as committed a cyclist as anyone on earth. I think having a few pints with Robin Williams would be a huge occasion to remember.

Baden Cooke !! because I think he is hot ... and always has something funny to say ...

Well, seeing as you did not mention it has to be a Pro...I will go for Robin Williams.

Probably one of cyclings biggest fan. Imagine going to a pub...you can step into his garage. Make your pick of 100's of bikes. Cycle to the nearest pub and Pi$$ yourself laughing with his comedy.

He is probably the luckiest actor in the world. Nice job, lots of money and lots of time to spend it on bikes and riding around.

I'd love to have a few with the Freckle - Stuart O'Grady (I reckon going for a few tubes with Robbie McEwen you might end up in a fight).

If it was more like sitting around the trattoria on Saturday afternoon I reckon Fausto Coppi & Gino Bartali (assuming one can travel through time).

Maybe Russell Mockridge - watch out for the bus son!

Laurent Fignon --

One of the most intelligent and articulate riders ever -- and pure class on a bike. (Probably have to be a glass of 'le p'*** rouge qui tache' rather than a pint, but there you go....)

Obree... I don't think there has been another cyclist like him. Hour record holder, world champ, invented two positions, couldn't hold a team and recently been to hell and back. I hope he is well soon!

I'm going to pick up a copy of his book soon and have a gander.

Originally posted by timdanaher
Laurent Fignon --

One of the most intelligent and articulate riders ever -- and pure class on a bike. (Probably have to be a glass of 'le p'*** rouge qui tache' rather than a pint, but there you go....)

Indeed, he probably would go for 'le p'*** rouge qui tache' !

Originally posted by limerickman

Chris Horner, He has been the rider I follow the closest. I like his style and speed. Let's Party

Roger de Vlaemink

As tough as they come but Belgian beers don't usually come in pints - I'll bet he's a Duvel drinker.