Which riders will drop from the Worlds with tendonitis ?

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
PARIS (AP) — Riders could face a nervous wait over the next two weeks as the French Anti-Doping Agency retests blood samples from this year's Tour de France in a bid to catch more cyclists using the banned blood booster EPO.

More than six weeks after the doping-marred Tour ended, AFLD chief Pierre Bordry announced his lab is retesting blood samples from cyclists they suspect may have used CERA — a third-generation form of EPO — during the showcase event.

Bordry told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the testing concerns several riders who were already under scrutiny for having suspicious urine samples that hinted strongly at EPO usage. The original urine tests, carried out in a Lausanne-based laboratory, had cast a shadow of doubt over several riders but proved inconclusive.

"I have decided that we will retest — with blood testing — all those who showed up as suspicious during the urine samples," Bordry said by telephone. "When we did the urine samples of those athletes, we had a serious suspicion that there was CERA. The laboratory could not say definitively. The same analysis will be done, but in the blood samples."
Bordry ordered the blood samples to be sent back to France for analysis. The tests will be done at the Chatenay-Malabry lab that snared Floyd Landis for testosterone after the 2006 Tour.

"All the blood tests have been repatriated to France," Bordry said, adding that testing began Monday.

Bordry declined to name the cyclists concerned, adding that the AFLD must first inform the riders if they are positive before making any news official.
However, Bordry said the testing will take "10 days, 15 days maximum." That makes it possible that a rider could be informed during the UCI world championships in Varese, Italy, starting Tuesday and ending Sept. 28.
Italian rider Riccardo Ricco already tested positive for CERA during the Tour, and others may follow.

Tour director Christian Prudhomme would not comment, one of his advisers said, while the testing is ongoing.

"It is a matter for the AFLD," spokesman Christophe Marchadier said by telephone.

However, it would be another big blow to cycling if more riders test positive.
Two years ago, the Landis scandal rocked the Tour, and its credibility was almost destroyed in 2007.

After the final mountain stage of the 2007 Tour, Michael Rasmussen held a comfortable lead and looked set to win.

Then, late that night, the Danish rider was removed by his own Rabobank team for lying about his whereabouts when he missed pre-race drug tests. The previous day, Alexandre Vinokourov, Astana's star rider, tested positive for a blood transfusion after winning the stage 13 time trial.

Some sponsors and television companies ended their deals — and others followed suit after this year's Tour.

Prudhomme, however, keeps on insisting that the net is closing in on cheats and that cycling is cleaning itself up.

CERA is relatively new on the market. If the latest tests reveal more positive cases, dopers would be forced to look for a new product they hope will slip under the radar.

Bordry also said Wednesday that Spanish rider Moises Duenas Nevado's "B" sample came back positive for EPO, confirming the original finding.
Also testing positive during this year's Tour were Manuel Beltran of Spain, for EPO, and Dmitriy Fofonov of Kazakhstan, for a banned stimulant.
Ricco and his teammate Leonardo Piepoli were fired by the Saunier Duval team — which also lost its sponsor.

Even though Piepoli did not test positive, he was released for violating the team's ethical code. Spanish media later reported that Piepoli had admitted to his team that he took the same form of EPO as Ricco.

French cyclist Jimmy Casper tested positive for a banned steroid, but has since been cleared on the grounds that he had forgotten to renew a prescription for a long-standing asthma problem.

Sastre has just pulled out of the Spanish Worlds team. Unconnected, obviously.

Rolfrae said:
Sastre has just pulled out of the Spanish Worlds team. Unconnected, obviously.
My money is on team Luxembourg having a wave of flu through their team forcing them to pull out.

whiteboytrash said:
My money is on team Luxembourg having a wave of flu through their team forcing them to pull out.
Do you think we can start a sweepstake on who'll test positive? I guess Peipoli might well be one of those with suspicious values?

Rolfrae said:
Do you think we can start a sweepstake on who'll test positive? I guess Peipoli might well be one of those with suspicious values?
I would have thought that the people who got tested repeatedly during the tour would be ones with suspicious values? Cant remember who all of those were though

Mark Cavendish, the great highlight at this year's Tour have "withdrew" from the UK's World Championship team. Was it because he had a long season and wants an early break or is it due to some other questionable factor?

Anticyclone said:
I would have thought that the people who got tested repeatedly during the tour would be ones with suspicious values? Cant remember who all of those were though
Christoff Moureu will go down.

I heard chat that some CSC riders are embroiled.

Tech72 said:
Mark Cavendish, the great highlight at this year's Tour have "withdrew" from the UK's World Championship team. Was it because he had a long season and wants an early break or is it due to some other questionable factor?
Well, it might be due to the fact he's got no chance in hell off winning on a course that has a hill in every single lap. No idea why the muppets in charge of the team selected him in the first place.

I reckon Schumacher could be in for a nasty surprise.

This is UCI vs ASO ... gosh I wish this would finish. ASO just want to overshadow the UCI Worlds.

Cavendish has pulled out because he is still ****** off with British Cycling for his treatment during Olympics. It seems there may be a certain resentment that by the Madison event, his partner Wiggins was knackered and with his dual Gold & World Recs in the bag didn't try for partner Cav.

Cav also pulled out of 8 day tour of Britain possibly to avoid cycling with Wiggins.

anyway that's my 2 cents (all made up rumour)

My bet for doping failure is A.Schleck & F.Schleck

plectrum said:
My bet for doping failure is A.Schleck & F.Schleck
If the Schlecks are caught for doping, then the whole antidoping program of CSC and Astana loses all credibility. If that were to happen, I would not be surprised if both sponsors withdraw their sponsorship. I don't think it will happen, though. The antidoping report available on CSC's website looks convincing to a layman like me, and besides too much is at stake for the DSs.

jonjungel said:
If the Schlecks are caught for doping, then the whole antidoping program of CSC and Astana loses all credibility. If that were to happen, I would not be surprised if both sponsors withdraw their sponsorship. I don't think it will happen, though. The antidoping report available on CSC's website looks convincing to a layman like me, and besides too much is at stake for the DSs.

Well CSC actually left the sport...but yeah Saxo Bank might follow suit. Astana on the other hand...well if the positives of 2007 didn't scare the sponsors away I doubt info about their anti-doping program being a scam would. Wasn't the team behind Vino even though the B-sample confirmed the positive?

EDIT: Sorry, CSC is leaving the sport

whiteboytrash said:
Christoff Moureu will go down.

I heard chat that some CSC riders are embroiled.
Interesting... that would certainly help explain Cancellara's transformation into a climber. Kind of reminds me of Hincapie winning mountain stages in the Tour.

Powerful Pete said:
Interesting... that would certainly help explain Cancellara's transformation into a climber. Kind of reminds me of Hincapie winning mountain stages in the Tour.
Doesnt Hincapie only have 1 TdF stage win?

Luxembourg's Kim Kirchen has pulled out of the world road race championships after citing a lack of form.

Kirchen was regarded as a medal contender in the men's road race to be held this Sunday but said he was in no condition to compete.

"I don't think I have sufficient form to get a good result, so I prefer not to compete," Kirchen, who wore the yellow jersey at this year's Tour de France, said Tuesday.

The team Columbia rider will be replaced by Claude Wolter in a team that will be led by the Schleck brothers, Andy and Frank. It is the first time ever that Luxembourg will have the luxury of using a nine-man team.

whiteboytrash said:
Luxembourg's Kim Kirchen has pulled out of the world road race championships after citing a lack of form.

Kirchen was regarded as a medal contender in the men's road race to be held this Sunday but said he was in no condition to compete.

"I don't think I have sufficient form to get a good result, so I prefer not to compete," Kirchen, who wore the yellow jersey at this year's Tour de France, said Tuesday.

The team Columbia rider will be replaced by Claude Wolter in a team that will be led by the Schleck brothers, Andy and Frank. It is the first time ever that Luxembourg will have the luxury of using a nine-man team.
Without wanting to particularly defend Kirchen, he had a brilliant Tour de France and beginning of season with his race win in Belgium. He prolonged to be in top form in Beijing, then went on holiday and probably gained some kilos. His return to competition in UK last week was very poor, so his only hope for the Worlds would have been to be a support for the Schlech brothers...not sure he is too motivated for that. So I understand his decision.

The problem with Team Luxembourg will be that most of the 9 guys are amateurs. If the doping detection system is tougher, they will be the first ones to get caught, if they're not clean. DUH !

First Cancellera says he's to tired and then O'Grady drops, Sastre says pass and now Shleck is caught up in the the murky stuff...... these CSC boys certainly pass the needle around.....

whiteboytrash said:
First Cancellera says he's to tired and then O'Grady drops, Sastre says pass and now Shleck is caught up in the the murky stuff...... these CSC boys certainly pass the needle around.....
That's not possible!

They post their blood test results on line!

They must be clean!

:rolleyes: