Which rigid singlespeed with disc brakes to buy?

Graham Hanningt

Guest
My current ride is a Surly Singleator'd steel (Tange Prestige) MTB with rigid forks that began life
in '92 as a Shogun Team Issue Prairie Breaker (many mods since then). I still love this bike, but
now I'd like to try disc brakes (it's currently got LX V brakes).

One option is to get discs fitted to this bike. I think that this would involve, at a minimum, some
new disc mount braze-ons, which also means a new paint job (the current "Tonka toy" yellow is
chipped anyway). While I'm at it, I'd get the framebuilder to shave off the now-unnecessary cable
guides. But I'm not sure exactly which products to go for. And the cost of custom framework plus a
paint job might end up being a significant fraction of a completely new bike.

So, I'm also looking at new bikes:

- The '04 Cannondale Singlespeed Ultra (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4FSSS.html)
looks nice (yeah, I know; it's got front suspension... I would prefer rigid).

- The Phil Woods KISS OFF (http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page17.htm; I wish they had better
shots of a complete bike) has had good reviews, but the rear disc brake mounting, owing I guess to
the track fork ends, looks kinda clunky (http://www.mtbreview.com/spotlight/jul00/displayphoto.as-
p?image=/spotlight/jul00/images/bMVC-004F.jpg).

- The Surly 1x1 rear triangle looks like it suffers from the same kind of disc-induced ugliness as
the KISS, albeit this time in braze-on form (http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/1x1w.htm).

Can anyone recommend a "clean-limned" rigid SS with disc brakes? (Doesn't need to be a complete
"off-the-rack" bike, but if I'm going to spend bucks on a new bike, I'd like to avoid unnecessary
braze-ons/ugly mounting brackets.)

"Graham Hannington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone recommend a "clean-limned" rigid SS with disc brakes? (Doesn't need to be a complete
> "off-the-rack" bike, but if I'm going to spend bucks on a new bike, I'd like to avoid unnecessary
> braze-ons/ugly mounting brackets.)

2004 Bianchi.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Graham Hannington wrote:
> My current ride is a Surly Singleator'd steel (Tange Prestige) MTB with rigid forks that began
> life in '92 as a Shogun Team Issue Prairie Breaker (many mods since then). I still love this bike,
> but now I'd like to try disc brakes (it's currently got LX V brakes).
>
> One option is to get discs fitted to this bike. I think that this would involve, at a minimum,
> some new disc mount braze-ons, which also means a new paint job (the current "Tonka toy" yellow is
> chipped anyway). While I'm at it, I'd get the framebuilder to shave off the now-unnecessary cable
> guides. But I'm not sure exactly which products to go for. And the cost of custom framework plus a
> paint job might end up being a significant fraction of a completely new bike.
>
> So, I'm also looking at new bikes:
>
> - The '04 Cannondale Singlespeed Ultra (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4FSSS.html)
> looks nice (yeah, I know; it's got front suspension... I would prefer rigid).
>
> - The Phil Woods KISS OFF (http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page17.htm; I wish they had better
> shots of a complete bike) has had good reviews, but the rear disc brake mounting, owing I guess
> to the track fork ends, looks kinda clunky (http://www.mtbreview.com/spotlight/jul00/displaypho-
> to.asp?image=/spotlight/jul00/images/bMVC-004F.jpg).
>
> - The Surly 1x1 rear triangle looks like it suffers from the same kind of disc-induced ugliness as
> the KISS, albeit this time in braze-on form (http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/1x1w.htm).
>
> Can anyone recommend a "clean-limned" rigid SS with disc brakes? (Doesn't need to be a complete
> "off-the-rack" bike, but if I'm going to spend bucks on a new bike, I'd like to avoid unnecessary
> braze-ons/ugly mounting brackets.)

I have a Sycip SS with the same setup as the Phil Wood. It is a little clunky, but really not too
bad. This design was the first disc specific setup for SS. The drawback to it is that it takes a
22mm Hayes rear caliper, a vanishing breed. The advantage is it is silent, unlike the creaky
eccentric BB designs, which look a lot cleaner.

Some more recent designs (Spot Brand, for example) don't use an eccentric BB or a sliding mount, but
use an International Standard caliper mount that sits the caliper at the very top of the rotor.
These use slightly slotted mounting holes for the caliper, allowing just enough adjustability
through the range of wheel placements in the horizontal dropouts. This is the way I'd go if I were
to get a new frame.

Miles

"Graham Hannington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My current ride is a Surly Singleator'd steel (Tange Prestige) MTB with rigid forks that began
> life in '92 as a Shogun Team Issue Prairie Breaker (many mods since then). I still love this bike,
> but now I'd like to try disc brakes (it's currently got LX V brakes).
>
> One option is to get discs fitted to this bike. I think that this would involve, at a minimum,
> some new disc mount braze-ons, which also means a new paint job (the current "Tonka toy" yellow is
> chipped anyway). While I'm at it, I'd get the framebuilder to shave off the now-unnecessary cable
> guides. But I'm not sure exactly which products to go for. And the cost of custom framework plus a
> paint job might end up being a significant fraction of a completely new bike.
>
> So, I'm also looking at new bikes:
>
> - The '04 Cannondale Singlespeed Ultra (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4FSSS.html)
> looks nice (yeah, I know; it's got front suspension... I would prefer rigid).
>
> - The Phil Woods KISS OFF (http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page17.htm; I wish they had better
> shots of a complete bike) has had good reviews, but the rear disc brake mounting, owing I guess
> to the track fork ends, looks kinda clunky
(http://www.mtbreview.com/spotlight/jul00/displayphoto.asp?image=/spotlight/
jul00/images/bMVC-004F.jpg).

> - The Surly 1x1 rear triangle looks like it suffers from the same kind of disc-induced ugliness as
> the KISS, albeit this time in braze-on form (http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/1x1w.htm).
>
> Can anyone recommend a "clean-limned" rigid SS with disc brakes? (Doesn't need to be a complete
> "off-the-rack" bike, but if I'm going to spend bucks on a new bike, I'd like to avoid unnecessary
> braze-ons/ugly mounting brackets.)

www.ifbikes.com

Can you get disc's on a Surly Karate Monkey?

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message -ons/ugly mounting brackets.)

> 2004 Bianchi.

2002 DISS and 2003 SISS both have Avid Mechanical Discs

Mike

miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Sycip SS with the same setup as the Phil Wood. It is a little clunky, but really not too
> bad. This design was the first disc specific setup for SS. The drawback to it is that it takes a
> 22mm Hayes rear caliper, a vanishing breed. The advantage is it is silent, unlike the creaky
> eccentric BB designs, which look a lot cleaner.
>
> Some more recent designs (Spot Brand, for example) don't use an eccentric BB or a sliding mount,
> but use an International Standard caliper mount that sits the caliper at the very top of the
> rotor. These use slightly slotted mounting holes for the caliper, allowing just enough
> adjustability through the range of wheel placements in the horizontal dropouts. This is the way
> I'd go if I were to get a new frame.

Here's an easy way around the "I want disc brakes on my singlespeed, but don't want the eccentric
creak or to pay for a new frame" dilemma. Go with a front only disc setup. After all, most of your
stopping power is in your front brake. The back brake is used more for control instead of power, so
you don't really need the disc in the back.

JD

How about a Santa Cruz Chameleon?

It shouldn;t be too hard to get a rigid fork to put on one.

"Graham Hannington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My current ride is a Surly Singleator'd steel (Tange Prestige) MTB with rigid forks that began
> life in '92 as a Shogun Team Issue Prairie Breaker (many mods since then). I still love this bike,
> but now I'd like to try disc brakes (it's currently got LX V brakes).
>
> One option is to get discs fitted to this bike. I think that this would involve, at a minimum,
> some new disc mount braze-ons, which also means a new paint job (the current "Tonka toy" yellow is
> chipped anyway). While I'm at it, I'd get the framebuilder to shave off the now-unnecessary cable
> guides. But I'm not sure exactly which products to go for. And the cost of custom framework plus a
> paint job might end up being a significant fraction of a completely new bike.
>
> So, I'm also looking at new bikes:
>
> - The '04 Cannondale Singlespeed Ultra (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4FSSS.html)
> looks nice (yeah, I know; it's got front suspension... I would prefer rigid).
>
> - The Phil Woods KISS OFF (http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page17.htm; I wish they had better
> shots of a complete bike) has had good reviews, but the rear disc brake mounting, owing I guess
> to the track fork ends, looks kinda clunky
(http://www.mtbreview.com/spotlight/jul00/displayphoto.asp?image=/spotlight/
jul00/images/bMVC-004F.jpg).

> - The Surly 1x1 rear triangle looks like it suffers from the same kind of disc-induced ugliness as
> the KISS, albeit this time in braze-on form (http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/1x1w.htm).
>
> Can anyone recommend a "clean-limned" rigid SS with disc brakes? (Doesn't need to be a complete
> "off-the-rack" bike, but if I'm going to spend bucks on a new bike, I'd like to avoid unnecessary
> braze-ons/ugly mounting brackets.)

news:<[email protected]>...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly-rohloff/index.html

> "Graham Hannington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My current ride is a Surly Singleator'd steel (Tange Prestige) MTB with rigid forks that began
> > life in '92 as a Shogun Team Issue Prairie Breaker (many mods since then). I still love this
> > bike, but now I'd like to try disc brakes (it's currently got LX V brakes).
> >
> > One option is to get discs fitted to this bike. I think that this would involve, at a minimum,
> > some new disc mount braze-ons, which also means a new paint job (the current "Tonka toy" yellow
> > is chipped anyway). While I'm at it, I'd get the framebuilder to shave off the now-unnecessary
> > cable guides. But I'm not sure exactly which products to go for. And the cost of custom
> > framework plus a paint job might end up being a significant fraction of a completely new bike.
> >
> > So, I'm also looking at new bikes:
> >
> > - The '04 Cannondale Singlespeed Ultra
> > (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4FSSS.html) looks nice (yeah, I know; it's got
> > front suspension... I would prefer rigid).
> >
> > - The Phil Woods KISS OFF (http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page17.htm; I wish they had better
> > shots of a complete bike) has had good reviews, but the rear disc brake mounting, owing I
> > guess to the track fork ends, looks kinda clunky
> (http://www.mtbreview.com/spotlight/jul00/displayphoto.asp?image=/spotlight/
> jul00/images/bMVC-004F.jpg).
> >
> > - The Surly 1x1 rear triangle looks like it suffers from the same kind of disc-induced ugliness
> > as the KISS, albeit this time in braze-on form (http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/1x1w.htm).
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a "clean-limned" rigid SS with disc brakes? (Doesn't need to be a complete
> > "off-the-rack" bike, but if I'm going to spend bucks on a new bike, I'd like to avoid
> > unnecessary braze-ons/ugly mounting brackets.)

On-one Inbred in either steel or titanium.

Steel is UKP225 with rigid forks, weight around 2kg, disc only, with appropriate line guides.

The Ti version is UKP795.

Both use an eccentric BB, but it seems to be of the creak-free variety.

www.on-one.co.uk

On 27 Aug 2003 05:59:30 -0700, [email protected] (Graham Hannington) wrote:

At the risk of sounding repetitive (he he he)

Bianchi is the way to go.

:-]

> "Mike Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message -ons/ugly
mounting
> > brackets.)
> > >
> > > 2004 Bianchi.
> > >

> > 2002 DISS and 2003 SISS both have Avid Mechanical Discs
> >
> > Mike
>
> I can't make it public yet, but wait until you see the 2004's...

You had piqued my curiosity as you have mentioned the 2004s more than once, and was meaning to ask
you why, but now I see I have to wait on the answer.

> feckless wrote:
> > On-one Inbred in either steel or titanium.
> >
> > Steel is UKP225 with rigid forks, weight around 2kg, disc only, with appropriate line guides.
> >
> > The Ti version is UKP795.
>
> Oh, if only I could get a Ti Inbred. Oh, hang on... :)

It only seems like last week that I used to own one of those too....

Steve.

"deluxe model" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I can't make it public yet, but wait until you see the 2004's...
> >
> You had piqued my curiosity as you have mentioned the 2004s more than
once,
> and was meaning to ask you why, but now I see I have to wait on the
answer.

My custom is in. Pics to be posted soon, you will see what I mean.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

"Carla A-G" <khsgrl@NO_JUNK.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "deluxe model" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > I can't make it public yet, but wait until you see the 2004's...
> > >
> > You had piqued my curiosity as you have mentioned the 2004s more than
> once,
> > and was meaning to ask you why, but now I see I have to wait on the
> answer.
>
> My custom is in. Pics to be posted soon, you will see what I mean.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Now hurry and post haste!

"Graham Hannington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My current ride is a Surly Singleator'd steel (Tange Prestige) MTB with rigid forks that began
> life in '92 as a Shogun Team Issue Prairie Breaker (many mods since then). I still love this bike,
> but now I'd like to try disc brakes (it's currently got LX V brakes).
>
> One option is to get discs fitted to this bike. I think that this would involve, at a minimum,
> some new disc mount braze-ons, which also means a new paint job (the current "Tonka toy" yellow is
> chipped anyway). While I'm at it, I'd get the framebuilder to shave off the now-unnecessary cable
> guides. But I'm not sure exactly which products to go for. And the cost of custom framework plus a
> paint job might end up being a significant fraction of a completely new bike.
>
> So, I'm also looking at new bikes:

How about the Soulcraft Plowboy?

http://www.soulcraftbikes.com/id22.htm

Soulcraft's I.S. disc caliper mounts are the very picture of simplicity, and the Paul droputs are
like buttah. My sister is a team rider for Soulcraft. She kicked my ass riding her custom pink
Plowboy (with color-matched handlebar streamers - very nice detail). They also make sweet custom
rigid forks to your specs.

Call Matt. He'll hook you up.

-Barry