Which rims for Touring/Commuter wheels?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by p38lightning, Jan 7, 2007.

1. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

I've obtained some 36 hole Campagnolo hubs which I intend to build my first wheel set with. The intended use is for recreation/commuting/touring with 700cx23 tires. I'm an older 250lb rider. I'd like to keep the cost relatively low. I'm considering the following components:
    Mavic Open Sport rims
    Sun CR18 rims
    DT 14 Gauge Straight Spokes
    Wheelsmith 14 Gauge Straight Spokes
    Strength and durability are more important than weight.

Please let know which you would choose, and any experience you may have with these components, or if there are components which I haven't listed which you would choose.

Tags:

2. interested

interested New Member

Straight spokes are less durable than swaged/double butted spokes, since they don't flex so well. They are also heavier and less aerodynamic, but they make the wheel sligtly stiffer. Whether this makes a practical difference in your case, I don't know, but personally I build all my wheels with swaged spokes.

DT Swiss, Wheelsmith and Sapim all make excellent spokes, so just get what is cheapest, or most convenient.

The Mavic Open Sport rim is fairly new, so not that many people have experience with it, but it looks like an OK budget rim.

--
    Regards

3. madie

madie New Member

4. creekbruin

creekbruin New Member

I realize that this is a different question. But I feel compelled to ask. Why are you using 23s when you weigh 250 lbs.? You will likely have problems with snakebite flats--they look like a snake bite with two holes next to each other due to pinching of the tube. I would definitely recommend moving up to at least a 25, perhaps to a 27 if your bike will fit this larger size tire.

Creek

5. daveornee

daveornee New Member

I suggest 28 or 30 mm tires if they will fit frame/fork/brakes.
    Sun CR18 is a more reliable rim than Mavic Open sport. Mavic rates most of it's road rims for 100 kg riders, and the Open Sport was rated @ 90 kg the last time I looked. You might also consider Velocity Synergy in 700C version. It has eyelets and the rear wheel can be built with OC "Off Center" spoke holes to provide a superior distribution of load.
    DB 14/15 spokes from Sapim, DT, or Wheelsmith are more durable than straight 14 g + they help spread the load over a larger segment of the rim, thus helping extend the life of the rim.
    I also suggest 36 spokes front and rear to help accomodate your weight and provide more reliability and durability.
    The build of the wheels is ultimately important.