Which rims?

Cough72

Mar 9, 2016
Rutland, UK.
I have an Enigma Evade (Campag Chorus) with Campag Zondas. I am looking at upgrading the wheels. I have chosen Chris King R45 hubs. For my budget, my recommendations for the rims are: DT Swiss RR511, Easton R90SL or the Pacenti Forza.

The Zondas will go on my winter bike.
I am currently 95kg and do about 4500+ miles a year. I also intend to run on tubeless tyres (Schwalbe Pro 1).

What would you choose?

Many thanks.

Those 3 rims are so close to being the same it's a tough call. Since no real aero advantage doesn't start till the rim is 40mm deep or more, there is no real aero advantage to either.

The DT Swiss is built to handle disk brakes which means it will be a very strong wheel which also means it's the heaviest of the three, but they do claim that theirs is the easiest to seat the bead then other rims, whether this is true or not I have no idea. On the surface due to all the slick marketing information they provided DT seems to be the best, but there is that slight weight disadvantage of 40 grams each wheel.

The other two rims are so close it would mount to nick picky very small differences that wouldn't mean anything in the rear world. Looks would be the only real factor!

I know you didn't ask about hubs but Chris King hubs are overpriced and they don't offer anything significant that would justify the price. I think White Industries make just as good of a hub if not better. White hubs do not use proprietary bearings like Chis does, White uses larger bearings for better weight distribution, White hubs have less drag than Chris, White doesn't require a proprietary tool to work on it like Chris does that cost $180, White uses titanium driver body instead of aluminum like Chris, Chris makes a lot of noise.

See this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z018IeCZO24

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbKfxu5_oQ

Those 3 rims are so close to being the same it's a tough call. Since no real aero advantage doesn't start till the rim is 40mm deep or more, there is no real aero advantage to either.

The DT Swiss is built to handle disk brakes which means it will be a very strong wheel which also means it's the heaviest of the three, but they do claim that theirs is the easiest to seat the bead then other rims, whether this is true or not I have no idea. On the surface due to all the slick marketing information they provided DT seems to be the best, but there is that slight weight disadvantage of 40 grams each wheel.

The other two rims are so close it would mount to nick picky very small differences that wouldn't mean anything in the rear world. Looks would be the only real factor!

I know you didn't ask about hubs but Chris King hubs are overpriced and they don't offer anything significant that would justify the price. I think White Industries make just as good of a hub if not better. White hubs do not use proprietary bearings like Chis does, White uses larger bearings for better weight distribution, White hubs have less drag than Chris, White doesn't require a proprietary tool to work on it like Chris does that cost $180, White uses titanium driver body instead of aluminum like Chris, Chris makes a lot of noise.

See this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z018IeCZO24

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbKfxu5_oQ
Many thanks for the informative reply. The DT Swiss were choice number 3 as they are slightly heavier. The reviews I have read are very similar to what you have said regarding the Eastons and the Forzas.

As for the Chris King. It's and OCD and looks thing as I have a CK headset on the bike already.

There are more bikes then not on the road that use mixed brands. Out of the 8 bikes I have only one has a complete component package from one brand, but I built that bike from a frame and fork and got a good deal on the groupset. My last bike I bought new in 2013 has a mix of stuff, Shimano drivetrain, Shimano wheels and hubs, Cane Creek headset, FSA seat post, the bike was spec'd with a low end FSA headset but the Cane Creek 110 was more suited for the Enve fork. When it comes to wheels I didn't have a choice at the time because it was a Shimano wheelset, but if I did have a choice I would have researched hubs and ended up with White Industries hub because of the cost, ease of overhauling, and low friction in the hubs. Mixing doesn't mean anything and never has in the 40 plus years I've been riding and buying bikes.

OCD? ok, but don't let OCD keep you from a better hub that cost a bit less. HOWEVER, if you are satisfied with your decision with the CK then get what will make you the happiest.