Which road bike for $1600aus (second hand)

sam_glasser

Aug 25, 2003
Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum so please forgive me if I have put this question to the wrong people!

My question is prtitty simple: What second hand road bike do you think I should buy? I have a budget of $1600aus.

Going by a ruff guide that a second hand bike should be around half the price of it's retail price new, I have been looking at:

1. TREK-1500, 2300
2.Giant-TRC1, TCR Aero2

If you have any comments on my thoughts so far, or any other bikes which I shold consider I would very much appreciate your reply.

Thankyou in advance.

Cheers,

Sam.

Just a thought, but I would never buy a used aluminum frame. They're not built to last. If someone took a spill or banged that bike around, there could me invisible fractures in the frame that you'll never know about until it's too late. Seriously, aluminum frames are a good value for a reason. Just because you can't see the damage, it doesn't mean the frame is still good. Some people will aruge that a 5-year-old aluminum frame is trash. If the last owner rode the bike really hard, it could be even worse.

You say $1600aus. I'm not sure what that converts too, but if you have more than $1000US to spend on a bike, you should really get something new. Get a decent new frame and maybe skimp on the parts for now, which you can replace and/or upgrade as they wear out. Put as much money into the frame as you can, and you'll do better than buying a used aluminum.