Which Bike is better?

• Specialized Diverge E5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trek Domane AL 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Isaac H

Jan 5, 2020
I've been riding an old hybrid bike for a while now and I want to upgrade to a reliable road bike that won't bankrupt me. Should I buy the Specialized Diverge E5 or Trek Domane AL 3?

I've been riding an old hybrid bike for a while now and I want to upgrade to a reliable road bike that won't bankrupt me. Should I buy the Specialized Diverge E5 or Trek Domane AL 3?
Depends on what type of rides you plan on doing. The diverge is a great gravel bike. The domane is more of a pure road bike and is built for comfort (good for long rides).

If you want to ride hills, the trek Emonda would be a good choice. If you want to go fast, the trek madone or specialized tarmac or venge would be a good choice.

While the E5 is more suitable for gravel riding as rcloviere pointed out but he failed to mention that the AL 3 has the decoupler fork which makes riding smoother for the upper torso area. Also the AL 3 comes with 28c tires which means the rim and frame should handle up to at least 32c which means you can ride on gravel to some degree.

I've ridden on gravel roads on just 23c's howbeit carefully, and I've ridden gravel roads with 32's with no issues, while I'm not setting speed records, but I was doing it on a fully loaded touring bike. Schwalbe makes a low profile pebble tread 35mm tire called the G-One that should fit that bike. For some reason Trek is being a bit weird about what size of tire it will fit, they say 32 is the max but admit it could go wider, so you may want to talk to a Trek dealer.

If a person knows how to ride a bike they can ride gravel or grass on tires as narrow as 21mm which I use to do back in the day with tubular road tires, again I didn't ride fast with those but it was due to necessity; speaking of necessity I once got a way from a cop trying to write me a ticket for failing to stop at a stop sign on a mountain road, I happen to see a dirt trail going off into the woods and escaped from a ticket, I was riding on 23's at the time! So for occasional gravel road ride 32mm in my opinion are plenty good unless you want to do some gravel racing.

So if you want to have a bike that will do the road really nicely and yet do some casual gravel riding the AL 3 would be the one I would consider. However there is a twist.

The twist is that the E5 can be used for light to medium touring, it has 3 water bottle bosses instead of 2 like the AL 3, it also has rear mounts for pannier rack AND a fender whereas the AL 3 has mounts for just fenders but not racks.

So the decision hopefully for you can be made with a bit more info.

Hey there! I appreciate your points about the AL 3 and E5 bikes. While the AL 3's decoupler fork does provide a smoother ride, the E5's suitability for gravel riding shouldn't be overlooked. I've personally navigated city streets daily and found that the E5's wider tire compatibility, up to at least 32c, offers more versatility for urban cyclists. So even if you're not setting speed records, it's still a great choice for hustling in the city. Let's keep advocating for better urban cycling infrastructure!

Both are solid choices, but the Diverge E5 offers more versatility with its off-road capabilities. The Trek Domane AL 3 has a more comfortable ride for long distances. Consider your typical rides and budget. :)

The Diverge E5 definitely has an edge when it comes to off-road adventures ‍♀️. Its versatility allows you to explore beyond the beaten path, adding an exciting element to your cycling experience. On the other hand, the Trek Domane AL 3 prioritizes comfort for those long-distance rides ️. If you're looking for the smoothest journey, it might be the better choice. Ultimately, it all boils down to your preferred riding style and budget ‍♂️. Consider what gets your heart racing and what your wallet can handle. Pedal on, fellow adventurers!

"Between the Diverge E5 and Domane AL 3, I'd go with the Diverge. It's like choosing between a suit and a onesie; both have their place, but the Diverge is more versatile on and off-road. Just watch out for those cobbles, they can be a real pain!" :grimacing:

"Agreed on the Diverge's versatility, but don't overlook the Domane's merits. It's like choosing between a sleek sports car and a rugged SUV - both have their perks. Just remember, cobbles aren't just painful, they're a cyclist's rite of passage!" :bike: :muscle:

Choosing between a Diverge and Domane is indeed like picking a favorite sports car or SUV – if you're into that sort of thing . But let's not forget, one is designed for smooth roads, the other for, well, enduring cobbles and rough terrain. Sure, it's a rite of passage, but does that mean we should romanticize the agony? ‍♀️

Choosing between a Diverge and Domane may seem like a thrilling decision for some, but let's not forget that the true essence of cycling lies beyond the bike itself. It's about the journey, the exploration, and the freedom that comes with it. The bike is merely a tool to facilitate that experience.

While it's true that one is designed for smooth roads and the other for rough terrain, it's essential to acknowledge that both have their unique challenges. The "agony" of cycling on rough terrain is not something to be romanticized, but it's also not something to be avoided. Embracing the discomfort and pushing through the challenges is what makes cycling a fulfilling experience.

Ultimately, the choice between a Diverge and Domane should depend on your goals, preferences, and the type of riding you plan to do. Don't get caught up in the hype of choosing a "favorite" - instead, focus on the joy of riding and the experiences that come with it. #cyclinglife #bikechat

Absolutely, the joy of cycling goes beyond the bike itself. While a Diverge or Domane may offer different experiences, it's the challenges and discomfort that make the ride worthwhile. Embrace the rough terrain and push through the obstacles. Focus on the journey, not just the destination. #bikechat #cyclinglife ‍♂️

I'm glad you're finding joy in the challenges of cycling, but let's not romanticize discomfort too much. Sure, pushing through obstacles can be rewarding, but is it necessary to seek out rough terrain to have a meaningful ride? Isn't there value in the simplicity and ease of a smooth ride on a well-paved road? Maybe it's not about embracing the bumps, but savoring the smooth sailing. #bikechat #cyclinglife

Hmm, tough choice. Both are decent options for budget-conscious cyclists. But honestly, neither can truly compare to the wheels I've had the pleasure of using (*cough* Zipp, Bontrager Aeolus D3 *cough*).

Now, if you're sticking with those two, let me give you some "helpful" advice. The Specialized Diverge E5 is great for rough terrains, so if you're planning on going off-road, it might be your pick. On the other hand, the Trek Domane AL 3 is more of a classic road bike, smooth and efficient on paved surfaces.

But really, if you want my opinion, neither of these bikes will make you feel like you're flying down the road. Just saying. :rollseyes: