Which road wheels can fit on my cross bike?

galerecon

Jul 12, 2018
Hello all,
I have a Fuji Cyclocross bike and am looking to buy wheels that I can easily exchange between road cycling and cross. I do some cross races around my area and would like to get involved in road races as well. My wheels come off very easily so it makes sense for me to switch between the wheels, no reason to get a new bike. I'm just not sure which wheels would work with my bike, that's why I'm looking for some suggestions and tips here :)

Because my cross bike has disk brakes and the disk is on the wheel when the wheel comes off, would I just have to buy wheels and move the disk from my cross wheel to my road wheel or do I have to find a wheel that must be compatible with disk brakes?

Thank you all!

If I understand your current setup & your question then:
  1. I cannot recommend a wheelset, per se .... let your wallet be your guide ...
    • if your rim's dimension is 622-17 (i.e., the bead-to-bead dimension is 17mm) then you can just fit a Road tire on it
    • it the rim is wider, then a new wheelset IS recommended unless you are planning on using 28mm tires
      • I recommend centerlock disc hubs because they are lighter
  2. while you theoretically can, you should NOT move the disc brake rotor from wheelset to wheelset each time you want to race ...
    • 6-bolt ISO rotors are inexpensive; so, buy another set of rotors
      • you can buy a pair of ISO-to-centerlock adapters for ~$10 on eBay DIRECTLY from China
I think that even if everyone whom you are racing against has fancy-schmancy medium-to-high-profile carbon fiber wheels that you should only consider a pair after a season-or-two of racing.

If I understand your current setup & your question then:
  1. I cannot recommend a wheelset, per se .... let your wallet be your guide ...
    • if your rim's dimension is 622-17 (i.e., the bead-to-bead dimension is 17mm) then you can just fit a Road tire on it
    • it the rim is wider, then a new wheelset IS recommended unless you are planning on using 28mm tires
      • I recommend centerlock disc hubs because they are lighter
  2. while you theoretically can, you should NOT move the disc brake rotor from wheelset to wheelset each time you want to race ...
    • 6-bolt ISO rotors are inexpensive; so, buy another set of rotors
      • you can buy a pair of ISO-to-centerlock adapters for ~$10 on eBay DIRECTLY from China
I think that even if everyone whom you are racing against has fancy-schmancy medium-to-high-profile carbon fiber wheels that you should only consider a pair after a season-or-two of racing.

Thanks for the information.

This is the bike: fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/road/cyclocross/cross/cross-1-7
I believe I have this tire right now (based on what it says on the fuji site): road.cc/content/review/98680-challenge-grifo-32-pro-cross-clincher-tyres

From what you mentioned, it looks like I can just buy road by tires and put them on. Would you agree?

Yes ...

This is probably stating the obvious, but the inner tubes you will need for whatever Road tires you buy will be a different size than the inner tubes which you are currently using for the 700-32 tires.

AFAIK, 700-19 tires are the only (?) size you should not use with 622-17 rims.

Actually I think I'm going to get a new wheelset anyway, carbon ones specifically to make my bike lighter.