Which saddle should I choose?

John Latter

Guest
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

The only supplier in the town where I live is 'Argos' and they sell only two types - which can be
seen at this url:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1001&langId=-
1&searchTerms=saddle&go.x=0&go.y=0

The first is the "Bell Maximum Comfort Suspension Saddle" which has the following description:

"Dual spring suspension absorbs road shock.

3in supersoft padding for extra comfort.

Ergonomic shape relieves pressure."

And the second is the "Raleigh 'Selle Royale' Sprung Gel Saddle" and is described as:

2 coil springs and gel properties ensure cycling comfort by moulding to the body contours.

Smooth synthetic cover.

Suitable for all adult cycles.

Length 27.5cm."

Has anyone got any experience of either of these saddles or any general comments to make?

Thanks in advance,

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-
Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect. http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:08:25 +0000, John Latter <[email protected]>
wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

You'll need to tell us what type of riding you do, how you feel about your current saddle, and
describe your current saddle.

>The first is the "Bell Maximum Comfort Suspension Saddle" which has And the second is the "Raleigh
>'Selle Royale' Sprung Gel Saddle" and
>
>Has anyone got any experience of either of these saddles or any general comments to make?

They both look great for short rides on a comfort bike but terrible for long rides on a road bike.
--
Rick Onanian

John Latter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.
>
> The only supplier in the town where I live is 'Argos' and they sell only two types - which can be
> seen at this url:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalo gId=1001&langId=-
1&searchTerms=saddle&go.x=0&go.y=0

> The first is the "Bell Maximum Comfort Suspension Saddle" which has the following description:
>
> "Dual spring suspension absorbs road shock.
>
> 3in supersoft padding for extra comfort.
>
> Ergonomic shape relieves pressure."
>
> And the second is the "Raleigh 'Selle Royale' Sprung Gel Saddle" and is described as:
>

> 2 coil springs and gel properties ensure cycling comfort by moulding to the body contours.
>
> Smooth synthetic cover.
>
> Suitable for all adult cycles.
>
> Length 27.5cm."
>
> Has anyone got any experience of either of these saddles or any general comments to make?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Without really knowing anything about those saddles it sounds to me like they consist of too much
springs and Gel. After looking at them I also say they are not shaped in such a way as to make a
comfortable ride at all. If you never ride more than 2-3 miles at a leisurely pace they probably
won't harm you and they might feel soft and comfortable. If you plan on riding any longer than that
you should look into buying a real saddle. Check out this link and read some more about what
constitutes a good saddle. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

--
Perre

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:16:25 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:08:25 +0000, John Latter <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.
>
>You'll need to tell us what type of riding you do, how you feel about your current saddle, and
>describe your current saddle.
>
>>The first is the "Bell Maximum Comfort Suspension Saddle" which has And the second is the "Raleigh
>>'Selle Royale' Sprung Gel Saddle" and
>>
>>Has anyone got any experience of either of these saddles or any general comments to make?
>
>They both look great for short rides on a comfort bike but terrible for long rides on a road bike.

Over the last 8 months or so I've built up to cycling about 12 - 15 miles per day (when I can).

This generally consists of two seperate laps of my town (one am & one pm) and a 6 to 8 mile ride
along country lanes in the afternoon.

I'm not aiming to increase my speed or anything, just trying to maintain (or rather, attain) a basic
level of fitness and enjoy the view.

The saddle I have appears to be just a basic vuelta of standard shape with no ergonic design. When I
do the country ride I get aches between the 'sit bones' which sometimes seem to spread down on the
inside of my legs.

I really enjoy cycling and I thought that a new saddle would make it even better and reduce the risk
of any problems cos of the aches.

I appreciate your replying - thank you! :)

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-
Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect. http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:16:38 GMT, "Per Elmsäter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>John Latter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.
>>
>> The only supplier in the town where I live is 'Argos' and they sell only two types - which can be
>> seen at this url:
>>

>http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalo gId=1001&langId=-
>1&searchTerms=saddle&go.x=0&go.y=0
>>
>> The first is the "Bell Maximum Comfort Suspension Saddle" which has the following description:
>>
>> "Dual spring suspension absorbs road shock.
>>
>> 3in supersoft padding for extra comfort.
>>
>> Ergonomic shape relieves pressure."
>>
>> And the second is the "Raleigh 'Selle Royale' Sprung Gel Saddle" and is described as:
>>

>> 2 coil springs and gel properties ensure cycling comfort by moulding to the body contours.
>>
>> Smooth synthetic cover.
>>
>> Suitable for all adult cycles.
>>
>> Length 27.5cm."
>>
>> Has anyone got any experience of either of these saddles or any general comments to make?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>
>Without really knowing anything about those saddles it sounds to me like they consist of too much
>springs and Gel. After looking at them I also say they are not shaped in such a way as to make a
>comfortable ride at all. If you never ride more than 2-3 miles at a leisurely pace they probably
>won't harm you and they might feel soft and comfortable. If you plan on riding any longer than that
>you should look into buying a real saddle. Check out this link and read some more about what
>constitutes a good saddle. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Thank you for the link Perre - I tend to get 'aches' which spread down on the inside of my legs if I
do more than 5 to 6 miles and I thought a new saddle would help.

I've just skimmed thru the article & will read it properly later - I had thought that gel/thicker
padding would provide an instant answer!

Thanks again :)

--

John Latter wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:16:38 GMT, "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> John Latter wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any
>>> advice.
>>>
>>> The only supplier in the town where I live is 'Argos' and they sell only two types - which can
>>> be seen at this url:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalo
>> gId=1001&langId=-1&searchTerms=saddle&go.x=0&go.y=0
>>>
>>> The first is the "Bell Maximum Comfort Suspension Saddle" which has the following description:
>>>
>>> "Dual spring suspension absorbs road shock.
>>>
>>> 3in supersoft padding for extra comfort.
>>>
>>> Ergonomic shape relieves pressure."
>>>
>>> And the second is the "Raleigh 'Selle Royale' Sprung Gel Saddle" and is described as:
>>>

>>> 2 coil springs and gel properties ensure cycling comfort by moulding to the body contours.
>>>
>>> Smooth synthetic cover.
>>>
>>> Suitable for all adult cycles.
>>>
>>> Length 27.5cm."
>>>
>>> Has anyone got any experience of either of these saddles or any general comments to make?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Without really knowing anything about those saddles it sounds to me like they consist of too much
>> springs and Gel. After looking at them I also say they are not shaped in such a way as to make a
>> comfortable ride at all. If you never ride more than 2-3 miles at a leisurely pace they probably
>> won't harm you and they might feel soft and comfortable. If you plan on riding any longer than
>> that you should look into buying a real saddle. Check out this link and read some more about what
>> constitutes a good saddle. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
>
> Thank you for the link Perre - I tend to get 'aches' which spread down on the inside of my legs if
> I do more than 5 to 6 miles and I thought a new saddle would help.
>
> I've just skimmed thru the article & will read it properly later - I had thought that gel/thicker
> padding would provide an instant answer!
>
> Thanks again :)

When you do read through the article you will find that Gel padding usually does just the opposite.
From what I understand of your riding you will need a *real* saddle. Which one that is only you can
decide but you can learn from others how a saddle should be made. It usually is not soft at all.
Often quite narrow. The important part is that your sitbones get seated right and that it doesn't
chafe. You might want to look at getting decent biking shorts with the padding in the crotch insead
of on the saddle. You might also need to look at how high you have set your saddle. Usually we want
to set it too low in order to be able to put a foot down when we stop etc. It might just be that
your aches will go away with a proper setup and a good pair of cycling shorts. You should find
articles upon these things also on Sheldon Browns site.
--
Perre

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:36:46 +0000, John Latter <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The saddle I have appears to be just a basic vuelta of standard shape with no ergonic design. When
>I do the country ride I get aches between the 'sit bones' which sometimes seem to spread down on
>the inside of my legs.

Hmmmm..... when I have had problems on the inside of my legs- meaning thighs primarily for me- it
was when using a saddle that was too wide up front. I had to spread my thighs in a weird manner to
clear the excess width, and this made the legs ache and the whole riding experience less than ideal.
Shapes closer to a T work much better for me than shapes like a V.

It's in longer rides where small things like this make themselves known.

>I really enjoy cycling and I thought that a new saddle would make it even better and reduce the
>risk of any problems cos of the aches.

Saddle angle and position can also be important. You might try moving the present one backwards or
forward, change the tilt, etc.

John Latter <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> >Check out this link and read some more about what constitutes a good saddle.
> >http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
>
> Thank you for the link Perre - I tend to get 'aches' which spread down on the inside of my legs if
> I do more than 5 to 6 miles and I thought a new saddle would help.
>
> I've just skimmed thru the article & will read it properly later - I had thought that gel/thicker
> padding would provide an instant answer!
>
> Thanks again :)
>
> --
>
> John Latter

Hi John, here is another link for you, take a look at "Bicycling and Pain".
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

What kind of bike are you riding? Do you wear padded shorts? I would think that after reading the
article on saddles and the one on pain, you may have a better idea of what you'll need. Life is
Good! Jeff

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.
>
>The only supplier in the town where I live is 'Argos' and they sell only two types - which can be
>seen at this url:
>
>http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1001&langId=-
>1&searchTerms=saddle&go.x=0&go.y=0
>
>The first is the "Bell Maximum Comfort Suspension Saddle" which has the following description:
>
>"Dual spring suspension absorbs road shock.
>
>3in supersoft padding for extra comfort.
>
>Ergonomic shape relieves pressure."
>
>And the second is the "Raleigh 'Selle Royale' Sprung Gel Saddle" and is described as:
>

>2 coil springs and gel properties ensure cycling comfort by moulding to the body contours.
>
>Smooth synthetic cover.
>
>Suitable for all adult cycles.
>
>Length 27.5cm."
>
>Has anyone got any experience of either of these saddles or any general comments to make?
>
>Thanks in advance,

Thankyou Perre, Dan, and Jeff! There's a lot more to choosing a saddle than I first thought so I
won't rush into it like I was going to do - I appreciate the links and info & will be
reading/digesting 'em later!
:)

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-
Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect. http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

"John Latter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.
>
> The only supplier in the town where I live is 'Argos' and they sell only two types - which can be
> seen at this url:

I think you may want to venture outside your town (or purchase mail-order). Those saddles are junk.

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 10:26:22 -0500, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

>You can also read other peoples reviews on saddles at this site. Look under Controls and then you
>will see saddles.
>
>http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

Thanks Mark! :)

--

wrote:
>with no ergonic design. When I do the country ride I get aches between the 'sit bones' which
>sometimes seem to spread down on the inside of my legs.

Others have given you good advice; consider it. Here's what I have to add:

The ache between the sit bones may be from a too-soft saddle. A harder saddle with padded bike
shorts seems to help with this.

If it's not from the saddle being too soft, then it may be too narrow; but be careful not to buy one
too wide, especially at the front where you legs need to clear it (as mentioned in another message).

The ache down the inside of your legs sounds to me like a saddle height problem -- too high
or too low.

For long rides, it helps to set up your bike so that some of your weight is carried by your arms;
this initially results in a little bit of pain until your hands and arms get used to it, but removes
weight from your butt, which shouldn't reasonably have to carry all of your weight.

That brings to mind one other possible reason for the ache down the inside of your legs: if your
handlebar is too far forward and/or down, you may be bent too sharply and stretching your leg
too severely.
--
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:16:23 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:36:46 +0000, John Latter <[email protected]> wrote:
>>with no ergonic design. When I do the country ride I get aches between the 'sit bones' which
>>sometimes seem to spread down on the inside of my legs.
>
>Others have given you good advice; consider it. Here's what I have to add:
>
>The ache between the sit bones may be from a too-soft saddle. A harder saddle with padded bike
>shorts seems to help with this.
>
>If it's not from the saddle being too soft, then it may be too narrow; but be careful not to buy
>one too wide, especially at the front where you legs need to clear it (as mentioned in another
>message).
>
>The ache down the inside of your legs sounds to me like a saddle height problem -- too high
>or too low.
>
>For long rides, it helps to set up your bike so that some of your weight is carried by your arms;
>this initially results in a little bit of pain until your hands and arms get used to it, but
>removes weight from your butt, which shouldn't reasonably have to carry all of your weight.
>
>That brings to mind one other possible reason for the ache down the inside of your legs: if your
>handlebar is too far forward and/or down, you may be bent too sharply and stretching your leg too
>severely.

Thanks Rick - I've been experimenting with my existing saddle & there has been some improvement -
but I still want to get a 'better' one & I'm appreciative of all the advice I've been given!

--

John Latter <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

Oh, another piece of advice: if you want to ask the same question in two different groups, cross
post it. Not only does it save you half the work, but everyone gets to see the whole discussion and
you don't need to visit two different groups to see their answers. Saves everyone time and hassle,
and as an added benefit saves bandwidth and diskspace on the servers.

;; Friends don't send friends HTML formatted emails.

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "John Latter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any
> > advice.
> >
> > The only supplier in the town where I live is 'Argos' and they sell only two types - which can
> > be seen at this url:
>
> I think you may want to venture outside your town (or purchase
mail-order).
> Those saddles are junk.

Can anyone say Nashbar?

C.Q.C.

RE/
>I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

Don't be afraid of springs or suspended seatposts. If you're 26 years old, you probably have a cast-
iron **** and nothing bothers you. But if you're 50+ things may be different....

Something like a Brooks B-72 with those little curlyque springs instead of coil springs
*really* takes the edge off of riding a non-suspended bike yet keeps the saddle steady enough
for good control.

I had one on my road bike for years. Every so often I'd try a non-sprung saddle and it felt like my
molars were gonna be jarred loose.

The problem with most sprung saddles (most saddles, for that matter...) is that the surface is too
soft. Your sit bones sink in, leaving the rest of the surface to press where nothing should press.
You won't notice it at first, but over time it definately becomes a problem. Leather saddles like
Brooks' don't allow your sit bones to sink in, but they're still comfortable.

I also had some kind of el-cheapo saddle with little coil springs running fore-aft like bedsprings.
That one worked pretty well too because, like the Brooks, the surface was not padded.

I've tried Cane Creek's ThudBuster post. Works well for me - and it opens up the range of saddle
selection greatly compared to being limited to sprung saddles.

OTOH thousands of people ride solid-rail saddles on hardtail bikes...I did...but if I had to do it
now, I'd just flat quit riding.

Three other observations from experience:

1) The saddle's usable width has to be wide enough to accomodate the width between your sit bones.
Not an issue for most people, but I've got almost five inches between those things and am
concious of the fit issue.

2) The right angle can make a beeeeeeg difference. Start level and try a little adjustment in either
direction. I always try to use micro-adjustable seatposts. One notch on a regular seatpost is
quite a large amount of adjustment.

3) Fore-aft adjustment is important and, for statistical the statistical outlier, the adjustment
range can be inadequate. I spent months wondering why my saddle was so hard until it finally
dawned on my that as my body found KOPS, my butt moved back to where it was just perched on the
hard rear rail of the saddle. A setback post was the cure.
--
PeteCresswell

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:54:07 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>RE/
>>I'm thinking of buying a replacement saddle and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.
>
>Don't be afraid of springs or suspended seatposts. If you're 26 years old, you probably have a cast-
>iron **** and nothing bothers you. But if you're 50+ things may be different....
>
>Something like a Brooks B-72 with those little curlyque springs instead of coil springs
>*really* takes the edge off of riding a non-suspended bike yet keeps the saddle steady enough
>for good control.
>
>I had one on my road bike for years. Every so often I'd try a non-sprung saddle and it felt like my
>molars were gonna be jarred loose.
>
>The problem with most sprung saddles (most saddles, for that matter...) is that the surface is too
>soft. Your sit bones sink in, leaving the rest of the surface to press where nothing should press.
>You won't notice it at first, but over time it definately becomes a problem. Leather saddles like
>Brooks' don't allow your sit bones to sink in, but they're still comfortable.
>
>I also had some kind of el-cheapo saddle with little coil springs running fore-aft like bedsprings.
>That one worked pretty well too because, like the Brooks, the surface was not padded.
>
>I've tried Cane Creek's ThudBuster post. Works well for me - and it opens up the range of saddle
>selection greatly compared to being limited to sprung saddles.
>
>OTOH thousands of people ride solid-rail saddles on hardtail bikes...I did...but if I had to do it
>now, I'd just flat quit riding.
>

>Three other observations from experience:
>
>1) The saddle's usable width has to be wide enough to accomodate the width between your sit bones.
> Not an issue for most people, but I've got almost five inches between those things and am
> concious of the fit issue.
>
>2) The right angle can make a beeeeeeg difference. Start level and try a little adjustment in
> either direction. I always try to use micro-adjustable seatposts. One notch on a regular
> seatpost is quite a large amount of adjustment.
>
>3) Fore-aft adjustment is important and, for statistical the statistical outlier, the adjustment
> range can be inadequate. I spent months wondering why my saddle was so hard until it finally
> dawned on my that as my body found KOPS, my butt moved back to where it was just perched on the
> hard rear rail of the saddle. A setback post was the cure.

Thanks Pete - having abandoned buying one from Argos, I'm gonna take my time & have a look
around first.