which saddle to buy?

bourget117

Mar 15, 2006
hi im trying to decide which seat to buy for my mtb. I use my bike on and off rode. Currently I own a flite. Not very comfortable. Im looking at either the Selle Italia-Slr xc gel flow, SLK gel flow, or the Signo gel flo. Does the gel flo with the cut out work any better than without? I also am 6' 1" and 225lbs.

Saddles are a very personal thing (obviously).. one important factor with saddle comfort is how they are designed in terms of the width between your "sit bones".

That being said you can try as much science as you can to help narrow your choices, but there's no real substitute to trying out whatever saddles you can get your hands on, and going on from there.

If you don't like the Flite you won't like the SLR either, they are similar in their sit-bone geometry.

I find the saddles with cut-out do help make things a bit more comfortable.

Or be a rebel. Get a Tri saddle. I actually have a mtb version of my tri saddle (San Marco Tri Aspide). Its a little shorter and has a tougher material on it. Very nice and gel filled, without the weight or massive size of most gel saddles. Of course, your sit bones will determine if its comfortable or not. Can be found on ebay new for $50

bourget117 said:
hi im trying to decide which seat to buy for my mtb. I use my bike on and off rode. Currently I own a flite. Not very comfortable. Im looking at either the Selle Italia-Slr xc gel flow, SLK gel flow, or the Signo gel flo. Does the gel flo with the cut out work any better than without? I also am 6' 1" and 225lbs.
I just got a Specialized BG Comfort Plus with gel, and love it. I've only used it twice so far, but think it's a huge improvement.

I'm looking for a new saddle for my mountain bike as well. I have a Fizik Gobi, which is very comfortable, but it is tearing up my expensive bib shorts! It has sems and texture which causes abrasion wear. I ride an Aliante on my road bike and love that saddle, so I may just put that one on my mountain bike. I have a couple of old Brooks saddles, which are very comfortable, but also very heavy.
BTW - gel saddles suck.

I'm looking for a new saddle too. The WTB saddle that came on my mtn. bike is quite uncomfortable on long rides and causes numbing "down under". I'm looking at a Specialized body geometry 2, mtb pro saddle. Its got the cut out in the center to remove pressure, improve blood flow and prevent numbing. I think it retails for about 50-55 bucks. Hope I like it. If not, the LBS will exchange it as long as I don't tear it up.

triguy98 said:
Or be a rebel. Get a Tri saddle. I actually have a mtb version of my tri saddle (San Marco Tri Aspide).
there's actually a Aspide MTGel saddle - dunno if the "MT" is part of 'MTB' or something...
could be worth a shot.

i have no dramas with the WTB saddle that came with my mtb.
my road bike's a different story though...