Which Saddle?

Cyclist14

Oct 13, 2004
I am trying to decide on a saddle for next year and I am torn bettween these two saddles:

Selle Italia SLR 135g $115.00

or

Fizik' Arione 220g $130.00

I like the SLR for its lower weight and price and for its minimalist design.

I like the Arione for its length and "Wing Flex" Technology.

I have the Arione and it's OK - but if I were to buy again I'd go with the Alliante - on long rides the Arione is too hard - in my opinion you want a firm saddle and the Alliante ratchets down the hardness just a little from the Arione.

I bought and sold about 4 saddles on Ebay before finally settling on the Arione. This saddle works well for me but everyone is different.

I ended up paying about $80 for the used Arione which was in perfect condition. I bought and sold the other saddles I tried for almost the exact same price so, in effect, I got to experiment for next to nothing (no local bike shop with a wide selection). Ebay is great for something like this.

Jim R said:
I bought and sold about 4 saddles on Ebay before finally settling on the Arione. This saddle works well for me but everyone is different.

I ended up paying about $80 for the used Arione which was in perfect condition. I bought and sold the other saddles I tried for almost the exact same price so, in effect, I got to experiment for next to nothing (no local bike shop with a wide selection). Ebay is great for something like this.
The Arione! Hands down!! If you're worried about weight, get the carbon version.

I don't have any experience with the SLR, but my new bike came with the Arione... After my first "extended" ride with it (a metric century), for several days I was numb and tingling in places that most men would prefer not to be numb and tingling.

After that, I took the Selle San Marco Era off my old bike and moved it to the new one.

YMMV.

P.S. If you're interested in a barely used Arione, I'll make you a good deal on mine!

Ive had both along with the Aliante.

My bike came with the SLR which is a good saddle. Then Fizik sent the shop I work at the Fizik Aliante to demo to see if we like their products. I loved it... so we started carrying them. Soon afterwards a friend let me borrow his Arione. Which was ok in my opinion.

Between the Arione and the SLR, personally the SLR is my choice. I didn't like the design of the Arione, I didn't find it comfortable. But the aliante rocks! A bit heavier but sooooo nice on long rides.

Call me crazy but the ONLY bike saddle that I can get comfortable on is a San Marco Rolls Ti. The titanium rails are vital because they make it more supple. Even in the ti version though, it's a bit more portly than some other saddles. It's not only of those modern protect-the-family-jewels saddles, but I have proven fertile despite many hours riding it lol. I now horde these things -- I have about six. Just in case!

I am not at all retro in sensibility, just practical, and my two favorite cycling things are no longer made: (i) these saddles, and (ii) Cinelli 66/44 deep drop non-ergo bars. They look a little out of place on my Giant compact frame, but I say they are absolutely, positively the best things ever.

I used to ride Selle Italia Flites only, but after trying the Arione I was sold and will only use this saddle now. I find it to be very confortable, and it offers more room/positions on the saddle to choose from.