Which shoes are the best?

trekchic

Jul 26, 2003
I am going to purchase road shoes in the next couple of days. Sidi's have been recommended, and Nike has been "un"recommended.....

Any suggestions on the best mid range shoes--especially for a beginner, just getting her stuff together!

I bought a TREK 1500 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!! Waaaaaaaaaay cool! I love it!

Kim in TN

Just got a pair of second hand sidi's. Fantastic. they'll probably last a couple of years, a top of the range shoe, cost me $60AUS, new they are about $430AUS.

Second hand shoes from top level riders I reckon are a good way of getting good gear you wouldnt otherwise buy new. A average pair of carnacs or time might only last a few years anyway. The second hand path worked for me.

If cost is not obstacle, get the sidis new - what an awesome shoe.

SIDIs are great (they're what I ride), but comparable quality and fit are made by Time, Carnac, Northwave and DMT, so check them out too...

What is the general concensus on higher end Shimano road shoes? I didn't see any mention of these and was curious...

Feanor

Used to use Carnacs which were really good but have recently got a pair of Pearl Izumi Vapers which are very, very comfortable.

I ridden both Carnac and Sidi. The Sidi lasted forever it seemed. I changed to the Carnac because of a wider toe box. I'd change again if I could find a wider shoe. Shoes are real important in my book try a lot of different brands on. Don't buy to small your feet swell when riding.

I measured at the bike shop and came up with a size 38. Should I go up 1/2 size or a full size? Do I need women specific shoes? I normally wear men's tennis shoes because they feel better on my feet. My feet aren't wide or narrow.....just normal! The Sidi's were recommended, they are expensive!!!!!!

The shoes that fit you are the ones that are the best ;) Also, keep in mind that cycling shoes don't stretch or "wear in". They tend to be either comfortable or uncomfortable from day one.

I've had good luck with mid-range Shimano road shoes and Specialized MTB shoes (these ones in particular feel a bit weird to walk on, but are quite comfortable on the bike.)

The Number One consideration is FIT! The shoes have to be comfortable. A cheap shoe that fits will be better than an expensive shoe that does not fit and vise-versa.

I always seem to fit the expensive shoe. I tried on all sorts of shoes and for me the SIDI Genius 4 Carbon Lorica was the one. (did not have to be the carbon version I just liked the Silver better than the Black).

That being said - for me - Looks are important - . Some of the shoes out there are down right ugly.

I Love the Sidi's and the buckel system. They are by far the most comfortable shoe I have ever owned.

Have fun shopping!

Sidi's!

Its THE Shoe. The TOOL. The ONLY one.
I have had my second pair for three years already with no signs of slowing down and i use em alot - 100 to 200 miles a week during peak season.
Easy to clean. Durable. Wont rot like other shoes. Breathable. Good stitching and craftsmanship.

As a road cycling newbie, I've a pair of Sidi Titan. At the mid-to-low-end of Sidi's range, it's a high quality pair of shoes. The mesh design makes my feet very comfy (especially in high speed :) )

Remember to get a pair of cycling socks as well and try the shoes with the socks, because the fabric of cycling socks are much thinner than ordinary sports socks.

I bought a pair of close out Diadoras that fit me great. I have size 12 (47) narrow feet so lots of the "touring/MTB" shoes were too wide. Buy shoes that you can actually walk in. The super stiff roadie shoes are great on a bike but suck if you need to walk any distance.