Which should I drool over

ghostpedal

Jul 26, 2004
To keep my upcoming (and sometimes boring) winter training on schedule, I want to set a new bike goal for the spring. I have narrowed my choices to either a Litespeed Firenze or a Trek 5000. Both fit well, and I think either would be great. I would like to know from owners of either bike what they think, and also from anyone with any sort of opinion. Which would you lust after and why? Of course, if you think of any other bike ~2000 feel free to plead your case.

I tried both....I was trying to decide ti vs cf. Assuming they both fit properly, it really revolves around your comfort level with these 2 frame materials.
Ti will, presumably, last forever with little care. CF likely will last for a long time (in spite of some of the anti CF bias on many forums) but will require a little more tlc re: abrasions.
Personally, I love my Trek 5200 (bought about 3-4 weeks ago) and have no qualms about recommending it. I just think, for me, CF mutes the road better. Some people like the 'lively' feel of Ti. By the way, the Trek is not 'dead' feeling like some people claim.

Thanks for the reply. I love bicycling and related equipment, but cannot possibly buy &/or try everything I would like. I don't think I can go wrong with either choice, but I like to hear what other people think. I like the materials of both bikes, and like the fact that they are both American made. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

fredf said:
I tried both....I was trying to decide ti vs cf. Assuming they both fit properly, it really revolves around your comfort level with these 2 frame materials.
Ti will, presumably, last forever with little care. CF likely will last for a long time (in spite of some of the anti CF bias on many forums) but will require a little more tlc re: abrasions.
Personally, I love my Trek 5200 (bought about 3-4 weeks ago) and have no qualms about recommending it. I just think, for me, CF mutes the road better. Some people like the 'lively' feel of Ti. By the way, the Trek is not 'dead' feeling like some people claim.