Which side of the flange for lacing disc hubs?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by G.T., Jan 31, 2004.

  1. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    I see that Sheldon has a paragraph or so about the trailing spokes running up along the inside of
    the flange. My brain hurts and I don't have the drawing for Shimano disc hubs in front of me but
    they've got specific instructions for the whether the spoke heads should be in or out. I had
    compared them to the 2 pairs of non-disc wheels I've built, one pair matched but on the other one
    set of spokes was the opposite of the Shimano drawing.

    Can anyone give a quick explanation that won't hurt my brain any more than it already does on why
    Shimano specifies this for disc hubs?

    Thanks, Greg

  2. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    it's only the rear where shimano specify opposites. reason: guess it's because there's a theoretical
    difference in tensions between the "innies" & "outies", but in practice, with the spokes touching
    where they cross n' all, you'll never notice any difference between the two.

    jb