Which singlespeed to buy?

Surlyburly

Guest
I am looking to get into the singlespeed game. I have it narrowed down to 2 bikes - the Surly 1x1
and the new Surly Karate Monkey 29"er.

The 29"er looks cool, but I'm not sure my only singlespeed bike should be a 29" one. I have been
warned by some that it will not be as good in tight situations. Plus, it seems a little more
difficult to find 29" options for tires/wheels etc. (not to mention there would be no sharing of
parts from my other bikes)

The 1x1 appears to be a solid favorite of my buddies. However, I'm having a hard time finding one or
putting one together (at places like www.webcyclery.com)

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Go with the monkey? Anyone have any 1x1 bikes they
love (and how is it built?)

Thanks.

http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19
East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

"SurlyBurly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am looking to get into the singlespeed game. I have it narrowed down to 2 bikes - the Surly 1x1
> and the new Surly Karate Monkey 29"er.
>
> The 29"er looks cool, but I'm not sure my only singlespeed bike should be a 29" one. I have been
> warned by some that it will not be as good in tight situations. Plus, it seems a little more
> difficult to find 29" options for tires/wheels etc. (not to mention there would be no sharing of
> parts from my other bikes)
>
> The 1x1 appears to be a solid favorite of my buddies. However, I'm having a hard time finding one
> or putting one together (at places like www.webcyclery.com)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Go with the monkey? Anyone have any 1x1 bikes they
> love (and how is it built?)
>
> Thanks.

News==----
Newsgroups
=---

What about the Instigator? The frame feels much more solid than the Karate Monkey.

Lance

SurlyBurly wrote:
> I am looking to get into the singlespeed game. I have it narrowed down to 2 bikes - the Surly 1x1
> and the new Surly Karate Monkey 29"er.

If I had to do it again <TODAY> I'd get the Karate Monkey.

I've ridden SS's and 29'ers, and loved both, but there was no such thing as a 29'SS when I was
ready to buy

> The 29"er looks cool, but I'm not sure my only singlespeed bike should be a 29" one.

My good bud just ordered one, I'll be test riding it soon ;-)

> I have been warned by some that it will not be as good in tight situations.

Were these warnings from actual owners&riders or folks who "read it in a magazine or on the
internet"?

> Plus, it seems a little more difficult to find 29" options for tires/wheels etc.

The price you pay to be "ahead of the curve" You should have seen what I had to go through to get
disc-brakes on a cyclocross bike ;-)

> (not to mention there would be no sharing of parts from my other bikes)

what's there to share, it's a SS!

> The 1x1 appears to be a solid favorite of my buddies.

they are well regarded.

> Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Go with the monkey? Anyone have any 1x1 bikes they
> love (and how is it built?)

I've got a stock Redline MonoCog w/a modified seat-tube (reamed out to
27.2 ... long story, don't ask ;-) and a Thomson seatpost. love it, but it's still go for a karate
Monkey if I could do it all again.

How does this setup look to you singlespeed experts... would you change anything?

---

Complete Karate Monkey for $900. It will be rigid with a Truvativ Stylo SS crank, Truvativ ISIS bb,
Shimano freewheel, SRAM chain, Deore M510 brakes and levers, Cane Creek STS headset, Kalloy UNO
post, Surly/Delgado wheels, Salsa Moto Ace Stem and Bar, Salsa grips, WTB Speed V saddle, and WTB
Nanoraptors tire.

Now if you only want to go with the front disc you would be looking at $965. That would be an XT
disc hub laced to a Salsa Delgado.

The Marzocchi would be an additional $330 for the MX Comp 29” fork.

--
gopherhockey

*saturday, april 6, 2002*;- xcel energy center (att: 19,324)- 1st per: ballard 10 (riddle, angell),
7:18 (pp); 2nd per: pohl 27 (anthony, angell), 5:38; 3rd per: koalska 10 (riddle, pohl), 19:07; ot:
potulny 15 (pohl, leopold), 16:58 (pp)
East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

I built up a single speed using several parts purchased from webcyclery.com. That site helped me
quite a bit. I converted a Trek 850. You can read about it here:
http://www.mudhen.net/singlespeed.htm

I highly recommend it.

--
ErikEE http://www.mudhen.net

"SurlyBurly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am looking to get into the singlespeed game. I have it narrowed down to 2 bikes - the Surly 1x1
> and the new Surly Karate Monkey 29"er.
>
> The 29"er looks cool, but I'm not sure my only singlespeed bike should be a 29" one. I have been
> warned by some that it will not be as good in tight situations. Plus, it seems a little more
> difficult to find 29" options for tires/wheels etc. (not to mention there would be no sharing of
> parts from my other bikes)
>
> The 1x1 appears to be a solid favorite of my buddies. However, I'm having a hard time finding one
> or putting one together (at places like www.webcyclery.com)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Go with the monkey? Anyone have any 1x1 bikes they
> love (and how is it built?)
>
> Thanks.

News==----
Newsgroups