Which Sirrus is better? New '06 Comp or Used '04 Pro Disc?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dominus, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Dominus

Dominus New Member

Disregard price, I have great deals on both, price is pretty close. Is the sirrus pro disc '04 vastly superior to the sirrus comp '06?

I'm thinking many of the features on the '04 pro disc are now on the '06 Comp, and the '06 Comp has the carbon fork and seat post and bars and that zerts stuff in it, and other improvements in parts. But I like the '04 color "brushed blue" better than the '06 flat "navy". But I have to stick with which is the better bike. The '04 is used and cheaper, the the '06 is new and the bike shop has a great maintenance policy for new bikes.

I am getting a hybrid because I mostly zip around downtown San Francisco everyday, to and from work, bars, friends' houses, errands, etc. But I plan to go longer rides in and around our fair weather city and eventually next Spring I want to be in shape to participate in the AIDS ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles. My friend, an avid cyclist, recommended both the Sirrus and the service at the local shop, having gotten his spouse one there.

Please only comment if you can look at these specs and say which bike is better, and why.

Note on these links you might have to select USA as country then re-enter the URLS:

'04 Sirrus Pro Disc:
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5994&JServSessionIdroot=ds3ig9cgem.j27005&bikeTab=techspec

'06 Sirrus Comp:
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=13178&bikeTab=techspec

Tags:

2. litespeedguy

litespeedguy New Member

My wife and I just recently got Sirrus Sport hybrids and we love them - it's my first intro to a hybrid design - have always had a rode bike - the Comp is a little pricier and I couldn't believe the price of the LTD ($2400).

What I'm thinking of doing down the road at some point is replacing the components of the drivetrain ( rear cluster, deraileurs, crank/chainrings) and cables with components that are more resistant to rust. After riding the bikes in the rain recently I noticed a small amount of rust forming in between teeth of the rear cluster.

Apparently at the lower end price ranges these days you don't get rust resistant metal - I know Ti is resistant & I believe Aluminum & Carbon Fiber - but these materials are more $$$$.

Hope this info helps somewhat .

3. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Looks like a though call. Based on specs only the biggest decisions is whether you want the mechanical disc brakes on the '04 vs. the zert frame & carbon fork of the '06. Many other items seem to be the same - wheels, chain, shifters, seatpost, front derailleur, seat (by the way, you'll want to get that Milano seat changed pronto! Trust me.).

Other items are similar - rear derailleur (Ultegra vs 105), rear cassettes (the 12/25 is a Shimano HG-50. The 12/26 is SRAM), pedals (520R vs. 505R), crankset is pretty generic on both. There isn't much difference in these items.

Hard call based on just specs. However, given that the '06 and the used '04 are the same price, I'd probably go with the new one. My reasons would be the shop's maintenance policy and I don't know how many miles are on the '04 or what kind of shape it's in. Also, I don't have any need for disc brakes. You may want them if you're going to be riding a lot of hills in San Francisco.

I have nothing against used bikes. I think they can offer a great bang for the buck vs. buying new, especially if you do your own maintenance. I'm guessing you don't since you mentioned the bike shop's policy on maintenance as being an advantage. But in this case with the bikes being about the same price I'd go new unless you really want the disc brakes. If you can get the used '04 model for quite a bit less, then it would be harder to decide.

4. Dominus

Dominus New Member

argh, this forum is incompatible with Firefox.

Anyway thanks everyone for the great advice. The '04 Pro Disc was talked down to $600 and the '06 Comp was talked down to $750.

Everyone says they change the seat!

It's a very popular bike. The shop sold out everything but XS and XL so I'm waiting for one to arrive from another shop in chain. If I can I'll ride the '04 and have a mechanic evaluate it. I guess I'm deciding I don't care so much about the disc brakes although you're correct, from the steepest hills, you pretty much keep the brake on the whole time unless you want to rick cruising headlong into a red light!

I just wish they hadn't decided to do that one Navy this year. :confused:

5. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Sure it is. I'm using it. Got tired of viruses while using IE.

At least it's a matte navy and not some shiny color. I don't think it looks bad at all, even though it's blue.

6. Dominus

Dominus New Member

That's odd. I'm unable to get it to work with my Firefox. I get an error message when I try to post that the message must have at least ten characters, and then my typed message is lost forever. Even in IE I find it quirky.

7. rdk

rdk New Member

I'm useing Firefox too: no problems at all. Do you have the latest updates?

8. Rideastrong

Rideastrong New Member

1. Why does everyone think they need disc brakes? Especially mechanical discs. Skip the 04 w/ mechanical discs and get the 06 w/ regular v-brakes. The remainder of the parts are very similar and mechanical discs are not worth it in my opinion. I actually bought the Sirrus comp for my father for his birthday. I upgraded the shifters to XT and the rear derailer to XT and the bikes works out great. The only other part i may upgrade for him is the brakes. The tektro brakes are a little too finicky for him. When i see a deal on some deore or Avid v-brakes i will probbaly swap them out. Now the parts i upgraded i did not need to upgrade, i just had a XT setup sitting in my spare parts bin.

2. These forums work fine on Firefox. I am using it right now.