Which SRAM X9 front derailleur will work best with a Nitro (Walmart bike)

djknight said:
And if you know, do you know which type of X9 front derailleur [ Universal Cycles -- Sram X.9 Front Derailleur ] will work on those cheap dual suspension Nitro bikes that are sold in Walmart at the moment? Specifically this bike:

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/83/64/67/00/0083646700039_500X500.jpg

With this derailleur work?: Universal Cycles -- Sram 3.0 Front Derailleur
FWIW. I do know that SRAM's earlier MTB components were Shimano-compatible ... and, presuming your bike has SRAM shifters, it probably can use an 'older', Shimano compatible derailleurs.

Because I try to know as little as possible about SRAM, I don't know if that particular derailleur is Shimano-compatible OR if it is one of the ones which will only work with certain SRAM shifters.

Why are you changing the front derailleur that is currently on the bike?

You must know much about Walmart to ask me why I'd be getting rid of something from them... or did you forget their reputation for "quality"?

djknight said:
You must know much about Walmart to ask me why I'd be getting rid of something from them... or did you forget their reputation for "quality"?
Well, I do know that it is a relatively inexpensive bike ... but, the components should be able to withstand quite a bit of abuse ...

Presuming the front derailleur stopped working BECAUSE it has rusted, then you simply need to apply some (a few drops) HOUSEHOLD OIL (e.g., 3-in-1) to the pivots once a day for 3-to-7 days ...

On the 3rd & subsequent days, you should try to manipulate the derailleur's cage by pulling directly on it (vs. with the shifter) ... it will eventually loosen AND THEN you should apply a couple of more drops, manipulate & wipe ... repeat until the oil runs clear.

After that, apply a couple of drops of oil at least once-a-year.

An expensive front derailleur can seize, too, if you neglect basic maintenance.

Shimano's (and, presumably SRAM's) low end components are just as functional as their more expensive "stuff" ... they are usually just made with more steel than alloy (so, they weigh a lot more) & not finished as nicely ...

So, don't blame Walmart, Shimano-or-SRAM (whoever made the components) for the failure if rust is the problem ... maintenance is the responsibility of the end-user.

BTW, oil the chain, too!

can you save your first grader lessons for a question that applies and stop going off on tangents? Stop being a stupid show off. thanks

djknight said:
can you save your first grader lessons for a question that applies and stop going off on tangents? Stop being a stupid show off. thanks
EXCUSE ME?!?

Didn't you pose the question "You must (not) know much about Walmart to ask me why I'd be getting rid of something from them... or did you forget their reputation for "quality"?"?

Blaming WalMart for the lack of maintenance on the bike they sold is like blaming a car manufacturer for an engine failure if the owner never changes the oil ... OR, if someone dropped the bike & bent the front derailleur (vs. simply throwing it out of alignment), then it is like blaming a car manufacturer for having driven a car into the garage door.

My suggestion that you simply oil the derailleur's pivots over the course of several days was to assist YOU to avoid spending money unnecessarily ...

Clearly, I should apparently have told you to "Take the bike to your LBS & have them put a new derailleur and/or shifters on it OR have them sell you a new bike because you should not have wasted your money by buying a bike from WalMart."

Of course, in another year, you could/can blame the LBS or Mail Order retailer + Shimano-or-SRAM for whatever replacement part(s)-or-bike that they eventually sell you if you think a bike should be maintenance free.

BTW. If the derailleur you want to replace is NOT working because it is rusted (as I presume) AND if you think I was expositing a "first grade lesson" then I guess you must have been absent from school on that day that lesson was taught.