Which street tires for Araya 26 x 1.75 rims with interior width ofabout 25mm?

SMS

Guest
I bought a used, non-suspension, Univega mountain bike off of craigslist
and the rims have an interior width of about 25mm (this was from the
time before mountain bikes came with narrow rims).

I want to get some slickish tires for it. According the Sheldon's site,
I shouldn't use a tire narrower than about 44mm (about 1.75"), and I'd
prefer to not go over 1.75" either.

I'd like something kevlar belted, and with some tread, but I don't want
to spend more than $20 per tire (the bike only cost me $25), so I may
have to give up the kevlar.

I haven't had much luck in my search, even when I up the price of the
tires. So far I've found:

Bravo Sports_variflex, 26 X 1.75 $8.89
"http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/55110/icn/20-459701/bravo_sports_variflex/b_149.htm"

Any other suggestions. This bike will be lightly used, mainly on street
and multi-use paths (it's not for me).

On May 30, 10:29 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> I bought a used, non-suspension, Univega mountain bike off of craigslist
> and the rims have an interior width of about 25mm (this was from the
> time before mountain bikes came with narrow rims).
>
> I want to get some slickish tires for it. According the Sheldon's site,
> I shouldn't use a tire narrower than about 44mm (about 1.75"), and I'd
> prefer to not go over 1.75" either.
>
> I'd like something kevlar belted, and with some tread, but I don't want
> to spend more than $20 per tire (the bike only cost me $25), so I may
> have to give up the kevlar.
>
> I haven't had much luck in my search, even when I up the price of the
> tires. So far I've found:
>
> Bravo Sports_variflex, 26 X 1.75 $8.89
> "http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/55110/icn/20-459701/bravo_s..."
>
> Any other suggestions. This bike will be lightly used, mainly on street
> and multi-use paths (it's not for me).

Here's your guy:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16500&estore_ID=1168

Forte SpeedTrac/K Multi Use Road Tire - 26x1.75"
Kevlar belted, $10 each, just enough tread to reassure you on gravel,
slick enough to put on a trainer if you want.

I've got a set of these on my mountain bike, They work well.

Hank Wirtz wrote:

> Here's your guy:
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16500&estore_ID=1168
>
> Forte SpeedTrac/K Multi Use Road Tire - 26x1.75"
> Kevlar belted, $10 each, just enough tread to reassure you on gravel,
> slick enough to put on a trainer if you want.
>
> I've got a set of these on my mountain bike, They work well.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I called the local
Performance and they have them in stock. They told me to bring a
printout of the web store price just in case the in-store price is
different.

"SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hank Wirtz wrote:
>
>> Here's your guy:
>> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16500&estore_ID=1168
>>
>> Forte SpeedTrac/K Multi Use Road Tire - 26x1.75"
>> Kevlar belted, $10 each, just enough tread to reassure you on gravel,
>> slick enough to put on a trainer if you want.
>>
>> I've got a set of these on my mountain bike, They work well.

> Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I called the local
> Performance and they have them in stock. They told me to bring a printout
> of the web store price just in case the in-store price is different.

Caveat emptor on Performance tyres. While I have some of the 26x1.25 tyres,
the gross clearances of the bicycle are not as critical as the bicycle I
have shod with their 700x25c road tyres which are terribly out of round with
a tolerance of approximately 3mm. Sufficient to make you you feel that there
is something perilously wrong the first few times you descend at speeds > 50
kph.

You get what you pay for.