which tandem recumbent trike should i buy

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Peter M Spirito, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. We are looking for input on which tandem recumbent trike to buy.

    Tags:

  2. Alan Weiss

    Alan Weiss Guest

    There are now several on the market. The Greenspeed http://www.greenspeed.com.au/tandemplus.htm
    seems to be the standard by which others are measured. It is huge, comfortable, and built like a
    tank. Organic Engines has one http://www.organicengines.com/Troika/index.htm that looks good to me,
    but I haven't tried it. There is a new one by Logo http://www.logotrikes.com/models.htm#tandem that
    has no track record, but may be a winner.

    There are also a few delta configurations, such as Lightfoot Cycles ME3
    http://www.lightfootcycles.com/ go to Other, Tandem and the Penninger or Kettwiesel delta trikes
    that can be linked into tandems, but can also be unlinked and ridden as singles.
    http://www.PenningerRecumbents.com/ http://www.hase-spezialraeder.de/ (the English menu seems to be
    broken right now)

    There are also a few sociable trikes (side by side instead of front and back), but I know very
    little about these.

    So, which to buy? There are loads of differences. I think the main considerations are your budget,
    the type of riding you plan to do (day trips, long loaded tours, racing, shopping,...), how often
    you may wish to transport the trike(s) by car or air, and the availability of service for whatever
    you choose. Of course, you also have to figure out which one(s) feel best to you, and that may not
    be easy, since I don't think any store stocks all the models I mentioned (and there may be more that
    I am neglecting).

    Good luck, and please let us know whoat you decide and how it works out.

    Alan Weiss NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider

    Peter M Spirito wrote:

    > We are looking for input on which tandem recumbent trike to buy.

  3. Iliad

    Iliad Guest

    Peter,

    Just as a note, I believe there is currently a Greenspeed Tandem on the IHPVA mailing list used.
    They don't come along often, so you might check it out.

    As far as the trike, it depends on a few areas. Budget, needs, etc. Here are a few snippets from a
    trike review paper I am writing:

    SNIP---- Wizwheelz Terratrike Tandem-

    It is somewhat unfair to mention the Terratrike tandem, as I haven't actually ridden one. However, a
    major concern that I would like to voice is this trikes lack of fenders. It's simply dangerous to
    have someone that low to the ground in the stoker position taking on road debris from the front
    tires. I know because I have made the mistake of taking the fenders off my Greenspeed tandem in the
    past, only to have my wife hurdled with rocks. If you have ever ran a rock over in a vehicle and
    watched it spit out at fast speeds, you get the idea. With fenders on, this simply doesn't happen.

    I know, I know, the fenders are coming. I've heard that for almost four years now. The Wizwheelz
    guys are great, so hopefully they are reading this and getting the fenders on the way! It's funny as
    I had a conversation with them in late August 2003, and the fenders were supposed to be on the
    market the following week. Still not holding my breath. Although they do claim "they have seen them
    with their own eyes...."

    -----SNIP

    Some areas to keep in mind on the Whizwheelz. Typically the price is great. This is version 1.0 of
    their trike however, and they tend to bring in new models quite regularly. There is a fairly good
    chance that your trike will be outdated in the next few years and getting parts might be an issue. I
    have a 3.2 trike that was released originally in February of 2001, actually purchased a few months
    after that, and it is considered "Vintage" by the Wizwheelz timeline (see evolution of the
    terratrike link off the wizwheelz home page). Come on, this trike is only two years old!

    Pro's Great Price No Sales Tax for most states! Good Customer Service Been in business for many
    years Should command great resale value

    Con's Version 1.0, actually 1.3 but it is the first to hit the market. No Fenders Appears that seat
    adjusting still has falacies like current trike terra-trike models Minimal Stoker Size adjustment
    (Short 38 -43 and Medium 42-46) Transportation. No S&S Couple option leaves minimal shipping and
    transportation options.

    It might sound like I am "anti-wizwheelz", but actually just the opposite. I have owned three
    of their trikes and can pretty much guarantee I will own at least three more in my life (if
    not more ;-).

    Greenspeed Tandem- The GTT is an awesome trike. I do own this one.

    Pro's Incredible crafstmanship Thoughtful design Functional Quality Components S&S Coupler Option
    for Traveling Fenders (your partner will thank you, well probably not because they won't know the
    difference of getting hit by road debris) Mature, on the market for numerous years Great resale
    value Good Customer Service

    Con's Price. Can be as high as 5000 to 6000 or more, depending on options, customs, etc. New
    ergonomic seats have yet to be "fully" tested by consumers. Might like it, might not. The
    wait...unless you buy used.

    Trice XL- Once again, not a tandem trike I have had the option of riding. I have kept abreast
    somewhat on it. Normally I hear from riders that go the Trice option is that they found it more
    comfortable. But those that went with the Greenspeed (both groups having tried both), found it more
    comfortable. The Pro's and Con's won't be much different then the Greenspeed. I believe greenspeed
    (from my own experience) was more responsive with questions.

    Organic Engines- They sell Tandems, but you just don't hear a lot from this company. Maybe I am not
    as active in the community as I once was. Kevin Atkins from Indiana seems to know a little more
    about these folks then I do, might try him sometime for any comments. He owns a greenspeed tandem as
    well though.

    Now, here is my advice. If you haven't ridden trikes much before, or you are concerned about your
    riding partner actually riding on a regular basis, buy the Wizwheelz. It would be a great starter
    tandem, and you can always upgrade later. If you are a seasoned trike rider, want to travel with it
    much, or want the quality and maturity of the product, go with the Greenspeed.

    Let me know if this helps.

    Brad

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Alan Weiss wrote:

    > There are now several on the market....

    Add the ICE Trice X2 and Expedition. < http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/frameset.html?x2 >

    Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

  5. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    The other comments have really stated the obvious about consideration of a trike to buy. My wife and
    I have tried several tadpole tandems as well as singles. This year at the Recumbent Rally in
    Steven's Point we tried the Hase, which is technically more of a train than a trike as you have two
    independent delta trikes hitched together (rear trike has front wheel removed). We knew we would not
    like it. So much for what we know. We had a great time trying out this unit. I was impressed with
    the delta configuration, something I thought was just for frumps. It was sprightly, lively, quick,
    comfortable and fun to ride. And the nice advantage is you can separate them, put the front wheel on
    the rear trike, and now you have two single recumbent trikes. Spoke to a couple there who loved
    theirs, had ridden it for more than a year. Unfortunately, they (in tandem) cost as much as your
    costlier trike tandems.

    Good luck on the search.

    Mike S. ST. Louis, Mo

    Barcroft Virginia Barcroft Columbia RANS Rocket

  6. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    [email protected] (mike s) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > The other comments have really stated the obvious about consideration of a trike to buy. My wife
    > and I have tried several tadpole tandems as well as singles. This year at the Recumbent Rally in
    > Steven's Point we tried the Hase, which is technically more of a train than a trike as you have
    > two independent delta trikes hitched together (rear trike has front wheel removed). We knew we
    > would not like it. So much for what we know. We had a great time trying out this unit. I was
    > impressed with the delta configuration, something I thought was just for frumps. It was sprightly,
    > lively, quick, comfortable and fun to ride. And the nice advantage is you can separate them, put
    > the front wheel on the rear trike, and now you have two single recumbent trikes. Spoke to a couple
    > there who loved theirs, had ridden it for more than a year. Unfortunately, they (in tandem) cost
    > as much as your costlier trike tandems.
    >
    > Good luck on the search.
    >
    > Mike S. ST. Louis, Mo
    >
    > Barcroft Virginia Barcroft Columbia RANS Rocket

    I haven't done the tandem yet, but that is why I sold my TT 3.3 and bought a Kett. The cost
    consideration (more like the low midrange price than costlier at 5k, GS and Trice are still another
    1k or more) changes when you consider that when you have a dedicated tandem you've got to have other
    bikes/trikes to ride the rest of the time! With the "kett train" (i like that) you've got TWO
    separate trikes for all the rest of the time! PLUS if the price of tandems BLOWS you away like it
    does me, you can just buy two used ketts ( I paid 1800.00 for my less than 100 mile 2001) as you
    find them, and buy the "hitch" from Hostel Shoppe and you're set for less than 4k. There is also the
    storage issue. Tandem trikes are HUGE and take up a lot of garage space (plus your necessary OTHER
    bikes), not to mention transporting one to rides. Ketts stand up vertically on a rear rubber bumber.
    You could store a tandem (separated and standing up) in a 68"x56" area! It really is a very cool
    trike with lots of features that set it apart. I wish Hase would get with it and put a triple ring
    on it and get some marketing going in this country. It's every bit as sporty as the raved about
    WizWheelz and is much easier to get on and off.

  7. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    A consideration about the WizWheelz TerraTrikes Tandem: the turning circle has been improved
    greatly. I've just tried out a "new and improved" hubmount, and the result was a reduction in
    diameter of the circle of about 7.5 feet. I've put up a page with some pictures at
    http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney/ttt.html

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  8. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

  9. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    MLB wrote:
    > Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f65e8b3$0$43890$a0465688 @nnrp.fuse.net:
    >

    >>http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney/ttt.html
    >

    > Larry, did you ride the Troika? Can you compare to the WW? I was really interested in the Troi as
    > the only "affordable" solution at that time, but just couldn't find much/any info other than 1
    > owner who was helpful. In fact as the 2 4k tandems, maybe you should do a comparo?

    I did ride the Troika, but just briefly. I'd like to have one for a few weeks or so, just to do
    it justice, so I could see how it handles hills, flats, day-to-day stuff like getting it in and
    out of the basement, etc. But that said, I will comment on the things I did notice. The
    handlebars might be adjustable, I'm not sure, but this owner had his at such a position that my
    hands were dangerously close to the tires and spokes. It wouldn't take much inattention to wind
    up with a rotary manicure! The seats are a good two or three inches higher than those on the WW.
    The brakes were good, but since he had the drums, it's almost unfair to even compare them to the
    disks on the WW. I love the drums on my GTO, but since coming into contact with the disks on the
    WW TT 3.4 and then on the Catrike Speed, I've really come to love them. I'll probably be going to
    Florida for a couple of weeks in November - I'm thinking about the South Broward century on the
    9th and the Horrible Hundred on the 16th - so maybe I'll get a chance to stop in and see the
    Organic Engines shop, not to mention Catrike.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney