rec.bicycles.soc archive · Public discussion

Which tire for city riding?

Started by Joe Samangitak · · Last activity · 4 posts · 2,027 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.soc archive
Published
31 July 2003
Last activity
6 August 2003
Original author
Joe Samangitak
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,027
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I need to replace a tire on my Bianchi Varsity hybrid city bike. The original Panaracer Ridge Line 2
    tires (700 x 35C) are light knobby treads, but these tires no longer exist. There are two models of
    MICHELIN tires I can get in my area that look like good replacements, they are:

    MICHELIN Transworld Sprint: cycleus.webmichelin.comtransworldsprint.htm

    MICHELIN Transworld City: cycleus.webmichelin.comtransworldcity.htm

    I can't decide on which to get. But I can say that I only ride in the city, and not for competition,
    but for transportation. So I value safety, comfort, and durability, over sheer speed. I want some
    stability when taking sharp corners, but I also do want to minimize my effort during straight
    riding. Both tires look like good candidates, but they have VERY different treads. If you had to
    choose one, which do you think is best for me and why?

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I need to replace a tire on my Bianchi Varsity hybrid city bike. The original Panaracer Ridge Line
    2 tires (700 x 35C) are light knobby treads, but these tires no longer exist. There are two models
    of MICHELIN tires I can get in my area that look like good replacements, they are: MICHELIN
    Transworld Sprint: cycleus.webmichelin.comtransworldsprint.htm MICHELIN Transworld
    City: cycleus.webmichelin.comtransworldcity.htm I can't decide on which to get. But I
    can say that I only ride in the city, and not for competition, but for transportation. So I value
    safety, comfort, and durability, over sheer speed. I want some stability when taking sharp corners,
    but I also do want to minimize my effort during straight riding. Both tires look like good
    candidates, but they have VERY different treads. If you had to choose one, which do you think is
    best for me and why?

    I would get the Transworld City, if those are really you only choices. When you ride on pavement,
    you want a tire that is as close to completely slick. The one exception is if you ride in snow too.
    The city is closer to being slick than the sprint.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  3. Joe Samangitak said:

    I need to replace a tire on my Bianchi Varsity hybrid city bike. The original Panaracer Ridge Line
    2 tires (700 x 35C) are light knobby treads, but these tires no longer exist.

    I have switched to Schwalbe now, they have an additional neoprene layer which makes them
    broken-glass proof. About 50% more expensive than normal ones, but better than constantly patching
    flat tires.

  4. If your city has paved roads, get the transworld city. 😉

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.