Which Tires for Glassy Roads?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RBS, Oct 5, 2004.

1. RBS

RBS New Member

Good Morning Folks,

It's time for new rubber this fall and I'm looking for recommendations of tires that may be better suited for roads with lots of broken glass, one of the many hazards us nyc riders face. My Pro races have quite a few cuts in them and I've been getting more flats recently. One guy at a LBS suggested that I look for tires with a higher threads per inch (tpi) count inferring that the higher tpi will "reject penetration better" (his description, not mine, but i thought it was a hilarious turn of a phrase). But seriously though, what has been your experiences?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Tags:

2. meehs

meehs New Member

I've been using Specialized All Condition Armadillos since spring and have yet to flat on them. I don't hesitate to recommend them for their puncture resistance and they seem to wear really well too. They're definitely not the lightest or most supple tires in the world but they're not as bad as I thought they might be in that regard.

3. Induray

Induray New Member

Add Tuffy Liners to your current tires. This has worked for me. Heavier? Sure...but it beats stopping to fix a flat!.

4. mjw_byrne

mjw_byrne New Member

Continental Ultra Gatorskins are good. Very tough, puncture-resistant, and they roll really nicely for such tough tyres. If you are after 700x23 tyres, you can even get them in a folding version (for a little more money).

5. malcomm

malcomm New Member

Totally agree with the high tpi count. That'll help prevent punctures but not trad cuts and slashes.
    I used to use Michelin Axial Pro's and Pro race's but not any more as if they even het a sniff of something sharp the tread opens up.
    I now use Continental GP3000 and Force/Attacks. Same TPI and performance class, just as puncture resistant but also a lot more slash resistant.

6. dhk

dhk New Member

Agree the Pro Race cut easily. Switched to the GP 3000's last year, and they hold up great for me also. Based on this experience, I'd bet the Conti UltraGatorskins are a very strong tire.

I've ridden in NYC a couple of years ago on the 3000s with no problem, but that was just in Central Park and on the Hudson River Bikepath.

7. dhk

dhk New Member

Agree the Pro Race cut easily, at least they did for me. Switched to the GP 3000's last year, and they hold up great; no cuts or punctures at all in two seasons of riding. Based on this experience, I'd bet the Conti UltraGatorskins are a very strong tire.

8. Stanners77

Stanners77 New Member

Conti Ultra Gatorskins for mine. Had my first flat with them in 2 years and that's only coz it's the rear and has done a few kms on the mag trainer this winter and is pretty worn.

9. ahimsa

ahimsa New Member

I agree with the Specialized tires. And if you don't like the weight penalty of the Armadillos, you can get the Mondos with the Flak Jacket to save weight. Specialized Armadillo tires have bead to bead flat protection and the Flak Jackets only have it in the center of the tire, so the side walls are exposed, but fewer flats are caused there.