Which tires to use. Conti Ultra 2000 or Michlen Ellinium

Roger W

Guest
My bike came with Michelin Axial Kevlar(now Elliniums). My rear tire has produced 3 flats in 4
rides(after going 1000 miles with no punctures). They look a bit warn, but not terribly so, but you
can feel that there is a lot of tread gone(thin). Not wanting to risk another long ride with a flat,
I purchased two Conti Untra 2000 folding tires today, but then decided that I might return one and
order the Michelin, using the Conti until the Michelin came in, then keeping it as a spare. HOWEVER,
after using the Conti Ultra today, I'm not sure what to do.

The two tires are different enough in treadware and PSI to produce an interesting feel to the ride.
I seemed to get a better time then expected, which could have something to do with the Conti, but I
did not like the feel of the mixed tires.

My choices are 1 - Keep two sets of tires, one Michelin, one Conti, and is it worth $30 to do so? 2
- Return the second Conti, run the Michelins and use the conti as a spare(recouping my $30!), or 3 -
use the Conti's and cancel the Michelin order, keeping the old front tire michelin as a spare(again,
recouping $30).

The curiosity has me leaning towards option 1 or 3, but I'm also hesitant to make a change from what
is familiar.

"Roger W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My bike came with Michelin Axial Kevlar(now Elliniums). My rear tire has produced 3 flats in 4
> rides(after going 1000 miles with no punctures). They look a bit warn, but not terribly so, but
> you can feel that there is a lot of tread gone(thin).

Maybe you ought to determine what is wrong with your riding technique.

Worn tires after only 1000 miles is not good, are you skidding the back wheel a lot when coming
to a stop?

Dashii