Which trainer to buy?

al1762

Jun 1, 2006
I am new to cycling and want to purchase a trainer for the winter coming up so I can get into shape.

I just purchased the Kurt Kinetic fluid, my only other experience was using a friend's Minura Mag.
It definitely feels better than the mag and much quieter, the mag had a vibrating kind of sound.
It comes with a Spinervals DVD and I also bought a couple others, they pass the time very quickly.

I'll second the Kinetic Road Machine. You should know, however, that some riders apparently don't *enjoy* riding the trainer like I do, preferring to rip out their own fingernails instead. ;) So, it might be a good idea to consider a less expensive model if you're new to cycling and are unsure how much use it will get. I also had good experiences with my Cycle-ops Mag trainer as a beginner, before I upgraded.

I just bought a Kurt Kinetic on E-bay for $275 new with free shipping. Seemed like a good deal. It has to be better then the Minoura I have. Do a search and you will find it for that price.

only thing is you may want to get a spare wheel with a trainer tire to use on it
instead of your good road tire since the roller wears the tire quickly.

I use Tackx rollers with Spinnervals or regular movie. Sometimes use mag resistance. Had them for almost 20 years. Only downside is you can't get out of saddle but I prefer over trainers

e-doc said:
I use Tackx rollers with Spinnervals or regular movie. Sometimes use mag resistance. Had them for almost 20 years. Only downside is you can't get out of saddle but I prefer over trainers
i use rollers as well, and would highly recommend them. you can get out of the saddle, but you REALLY have to be smooth when you initially stand, and you risk the embarrassment of riding off the front, straight into the tv. you will develop a very smooth stroke on rollers and you can impress your riding buddies at the beginning of next season by sitting up in the saddle in the middle of a paceline and taking a drink without changing your stroke.

snaps10 said:
i use rollers as well, and would highly recommend them. you can get out of the saddle, but you REALLY have to be smooth when you initially stand, and you risk the embarrassment of riding off the front, straight into the tv. you will develop a very smooth stroke on rollers and you can impress your riding buddies at the beginning of next season by sitting up in the saddle in the middle of a paceline and taking a drink without changing your stroke.
I'll have to do that. I've ridden into the tv a few times but nobody was in the room. I only get embarrassed when I fall doing a track stand at a stoplight.

Kurt Kinetic(Road Machine) is the best.
If you don't want to spend that much...then consider the CycleOps Fluid2.

have been told that normal trainers will delaminate a rear tyre, i.e. the tyre tread can separate if you use the trainer too much.
One friend has a rim trainer which is in contact with the rim so it saves tyre damage, downside is (he says) a bit awkward and messy to fit and remove the bike.
Worst thing about trainers is boredom, but I do it while watching TV. 30 mins is all I can manage. But your pedalling stroke will improve out of sight, no freewheeling, you are forced to be smooth and consistent. When you get on the road you will notice the difference. Trust me.

Aussie Steve said:
have been told that normal trainers will delaminate a rear tyre, i.e. the tyre tread can separate if you use the trainer too much.
conti has tires designed for trainer/roller use.

I saw the roller/trainer tyres on the Conti site, they are a funny yellow colour and "cannot be used on the road" they are only for trainer/rollers. But only suitable if you have one road bike and another that you only ever use on the trainer (one of my mates does that), otherwise too much trouble swapping tyres every time it rains :rolleyes:

After a long wait, I decided to buy a trainer for the winter and couldn't be happier. I bought the tacx cycleforce sirius. It has a gel roller with stainless steel sleeve so it doesn't wear and makes it very quiet. The resistance levels go from really easy spinning resistance to leg destroying uphill simulation resistance. The magnet is a little bit too strong, so it takes the road feel out. It gives a great workout though and drmatically improves uphill and tt strength.

if you have a spare wheel you can put the trainer tire or an old tire on it so you just have to swap wheels as opposed to tires. Make sure and put a plastic bag over your hand so you don't get chain gunk on your hand

Can anyone explain the difference between the kreitler rollers, which one should I get if I only want rollers and not a trainer? How is the resistance on the different ones?

I got a Tacx swing and I use at trainer specific tyre made by Continental. I really like the trainer - it has a fairly heavy flywheel, and feel much more like the road than any other trainer I have tried. It can make HUGE resistance. There are 8 (i think) different resistance settings. I do my AT intervals at the 3rd setting!!
I don't know who would use the heaviest setting - even doing BIG GEAR efforts at around 50 rpm. i use the 4th setting...