Which Trainer?

MIHECH

Oct 3, 2007
Which trainer do you suggest for me? I am from Europe so a KK is not a option (at least I think so). I have looked at the Tacx Flow T1680 or the Elite Crono E-Mag IN & OUT. Does anybody use these trainers? Or do you have another suggestion?

To start off, please use the search function and you will find a lot of information. And at that point you will be able to ask very specific questions and get a lot more focussed help from people on the forum. :)

Powerful Pete said:
To start off, please use the search function and you will find a lot of information. And at that point you will be able to ask very specific questions and get a lot more focussed help from people on the forum. :)
+1. If you are in Europe, the best trainer that you can use right now is right outside your door! But I guess that it is never too early to start looking for something to use during the long cold miserable winter months. You probably can get a better price buying out of season too.

MIHECH said:
Which trainer do you suggest for me? I am from Europe so a KK is not a option (at least I think so). I have looked at the Tacx Flow T1680 or the Elite Crono E-Mag IN & OUT. Does anybody use these trainers? Or do you have another suggestion?

If you're going to do a lot of indoor riding I'd suggest a Tacx Fortius or Computrainer so you can have some entertainment as you ride. You will need a PC to go with it though.

Otherwise I'd go for a fluid trainer. Wind is too noisy, magnetic ones tend to have little levers you clip to the bars which to my mind would be a pain. I've used Elite for years and found them great.

If you can afford a power meter it makes indoor riding a whole lot more palatable.

MIHECH said:

If ya can't ride outside, get a set of rollers. Makes the time go more quickly, trains you to ride straight and smoothly. Best indoor trainer there is.

+1 especially if you convert them to free motion rollers so you can get out of the saddle when ever you want and go for an hour without stopping.:cool:

Peter@vecchios said:
If ya can't ride outside, get a set of rollers. Makes the time go more quickly, trains you to ride straight and smoothly. Best indoor trainer there is.

Peter@vecchios said:

Rollers provide little resistance though. Fine for warming up but not so hot for any meaningful training. And not good if you lose balance.

grahamspringett said:
Rollers provide little resistance though. Fine for warming up but not so hot for any meaningful training. And not good if you lose balance.

If you can balance a bicycle outside, you can balance a bike on rollers. PLUS the resistence provided by the bicycle gearing is more than enough, just like outside riding on the flats. If you are 'under or over geared' outside, you will be under or over geared on rollers. Riding rollers isn't like coasting, or riding downhill, PLUS as I mentiined, provides real training riding inn straight lines, pedaling in 'circles', smoothly, etc.

wiredued said:
+1 especially if you convert them to free motion rollers so you can get out of the saddle when ever you want and go for an hour without stopping.:cool:

Please explain the free motion part and what did you use for the bumpers.
The e-motion rollers are too much $

Peter@vecchios said:
If you can balance a bicycle outside, you can balance a bike on rollers. PLUS the resistence provided by the bicycle gearing is more than enough, just like outside riding on the flats. If you are 'under or over geared' outside, you will be under or over geared on rollers. Riding rollers isn't like coasting, or riding downhill, PLUS as I mentiined, provides real training riding inn straight lines, pedaling in 'circles', smoothly, etc.
I don't now if they are still available, but I have a set of Minoura rollers that have a mag resistance unit attached to them. It is connected to the rear roller with a belt and works pretty well. I agree with Peter though, you should be able to get enough resistance from your gearing.

Bike4Him said:
Please explain the free motion part...............
The e-motion rollers are too much $

I bought a set of these (at UK prices) for £850
thumb_model-f-wbike.jpg

Elite are doing something similar under licence for £650, but won't be
available until February 2010.
1251744233187-ur5zwec8d6q1-798-75.jpg

The Elite set looks to be a regular set of rollers. I don't see what they're licensing from eMotion.